POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And I have read that because Dean was the oldest son, in Greek tradition he was gifted the Chargers. And Dean comes across as dense, obtuse. Its like he has zero PR skills, business savvy. And if his kids are involved - probably the same
    These guys are always looking for coaches who make them feel comfortable: who smile and greet them warmly at the office water cooler - with a touch of the sycophant.
    They must dread walking into an NFL locker room.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The primary problem is that these guys can't select the right head coach. Telesco, if he has had no part in the head coaching decisions, should return. Good coaching staffs always seem to eventually assemble competent Olines with depth. Bad luck on the health of young players has not helped.
      I know John Butler like Marty S and Beathard hired Boss Ross . But the SPanos have a track record of hiring first time HC that have an OC background. Henning and Norv were not in this category

Saunders
      Gilbride
      Hennings
      June Jones
      Riley - yes, he was a college guy I guess
      Norv
      McCoy
      Lynn

Sensing a pattern that somebody sucks at picking head coaches.

Pay an extra million or two - and get a good solid coach

This is why I think Dean is obtuse or just stupid - continuing to do the same thing over and over. And last time, I thought, hell yes, they are interviewing all defensive guys except for the last one, Lynn. Wouldn't you know it - the offensive guy!!!

Try something new as if its Arthur Smith, Joe Brady, or Kellen Moore - the same old same.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And I have read that because Dean was the oldest son, in Greek tradition he was gifted the Chargers. And Dean comes across as dense, obtuse. Its like he has zero PR skills, business savvy. And if his kids are involved - probably the same
        Yep...Deano the Dinosaur and Baby Spanos...Commitment to Mediocrity...

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Just read an article where the Chargers were mentioned between 6 teams at #2 who should hire Jim Harbaugh as their next HC.... I think this would be as close to a Marty hire as there could be at this point, only Harbaugh's NFL legacy is still in its infancy. https://www.yardbarker.com/college_f...13132_33251723

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Deano the Dinosaur and Baby Spanos...Commitment to Mediocrity...
            Dean took over management of the business empire Alex Spanos had built as the old man became too aged to do it anymore. That included the Chargers. Alex didn't really respect Dean, he used to belittle him when he was a young man for not being as much as of a go-getter as he (Alex) was. Dean is a good person, but to be honest if he didn't have an uber-wealthy father he probably would have made a career working at the local Home Depot or something along those lines. None of the Spanos progeny are particularly exceptional. Dean is managing the family wealth for his extended family. That is why he turned the Chargers over to his two sons, and that is why he wanted out of San Diego after the LA Clippers sold for $2 billion. He is looking out for the family's bottom line, first and foremost. John and Alex Jr. are probably two of the brighter Spanos grandchildren, to be honest. Though they may be out of their depth trying to competently manage an NFL franchise. I know people who know the Spanoses.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
              Just read an article where the Chargers were mentioned between 6 teams at #2 who should hire Jim Harbaugh as their next HC.... I think this would be as close to a Marty hire as there could be at this point, only Harbaugh's NFL legacy is still in its infancy. https://www.yardbarker.com/college_f...13132_33251723
              I can actually see the Spanos wanting Harbaugh. He is a big name, shiny name! Harbaugh did a good job with the 49ers. But that dude is always going to burn out so maybe you get 3 to 4 good years out of him. But that might be enough.

But if you paying for Harbaugh - aren't there other good coaches you can hire for the same pay but might be in it for the long run

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                You must be kidding - Harbaugh has dragged down a once proud perennial Big Ten champion team to a new low. He should be available soon though because he'll be fired at the end of this season.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You must be kidding - Harbaugh has dragged down a once proud perennial Big Ten champion team to a new low. He should be available soon though because he'll be fired at the end of this season.
                  He is not my first choice. I just think Spanos would see the shiny name and think its a good hire. I would take Harbaugh over some of these other names mentioned - especially the first time hot shot OC/DC type.

But like I said, unless Harbaugh got such a buyout the Chargers could get him for cheaper - if the Chargers are willing to pay say 6.5m for Harbaugh, I want them to find a better option that might cost more than a first time HC.

Hell I would take Chuck Pagano over some of these first time HC types. I just thought of Pagano now

He actually had a decent record in Indy until Luck got hurt. Might be an option. He is going up on the list!!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Dean took over management of the business empire Alex Spanos had built as the old man became too aged to do it anymore. That included the Chargers. Alex didn't really respect Dean, he used to belittle him when he was a young man for not being as much as of a go-getter as he (Alex) was. Dean is a good person, but to be honest if he didn't have an uber-wealthy father he probably would have made a career working at the local Home Depot or something along those lines. None of the Spanos progeny are particularly exceptional. Dean is managing the family wealth for his extended family. That is why he turned the Chargers over to his two sons, and that is why he wanted out of San Diego after the LA Clippers sold for $2 billion. He is looking out for the family's bottom line, first and foremost. John and Alex Jr. are probably two of the brighter Spanos grandchildren, to be honest. Though they may be out of their depth trying to competently manage an NFL franchise. I know people who know the Spanoses.
                    Interesting info there, Velo. So, you're saying that Baby Spanos > Deano?

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting info there, Velo. So, you're saying that Baby Spanos > Deano?
                      I know someone who was worked with the baby Spanii before and also heard they are much sharper than Dean (John more so than AG).

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Anthony Lynn is 13-22 in one score games since taking over as HC for the Chargers including the postseason.
                        With Pro Bowl QB play.

That's enough out of you, Mr. Lynn. We demand to speak to your manager.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

4.31 million/2020 season - Stanford Head Coach David Shaw

He earns two million more a year than the Cardinal President.

Comment

Working...
                          X