Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghetty View Post
    Dude deserved every ounce of his paycheck renewed. Allen is an all time great charger
    Most deserving player on the team. To come back after losing a year and a half to injuries and become a perennial Pro Bowler...what more can be said? Kudos to TT and Baby Spanos for having the wisdom to lock him up for the long-term. Where would this team be without him?

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

As I mentioned in the game day thread, with Keenan's TD catch today he has 42 in his career. He came into the game tied with Wes Chandler for 6th most all time in franchise history. Now he owns 6th by himself, and he he needs 3 more to tie Winslow for No. 5. Can he do it this season? Charlie Joiner owns the No. 4 spot with 47.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Most deserving player on the team. To come back after losing a year and a half to injuries and become a perennial Pro Bowler...what more can be said? Kudos to TT and Baby Spanos for having the wisdom to lock him up for the long-term. Where would this team be without him?
        I'm hoping Keenan has been in Derwin's ear. Not only can you come back and have a great career but here's how

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Third down machine much like Gates was for a long time.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Per Chargerspulse at Instagram, Keenan has the most receptions (623) in his first 100 games in league history, and he's only played 99 games. Antonio Brown had led that stat, with 622 catches in his first 100 games. Keenan had 9 catches today.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Per Chargerspulse at Instagram, Keenan has the most receptions (623) in his first 100 games in league history, and he's only played 99 games

Yes.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Keenan Allen has 7,655 receiving yards right now and just three games into this season has surpassed Gary Garrison to rank as the 4th all-time in receiving yardage in Chargers franchise history. Gates is the all-time leader with 11,841 yards. I don't want to speculate whether Allen will ever surpass that. But if Keenan stays healthy and continues the pace he is on now, at the end of next season he could climb to No. 2, past Joiner (#3 9,203 yds) and Alworth (#2 9,584).

Keenan is averaging 86 yards per game right now. Project that out over 17 games and it comes to 1,462 yards for the season. But he doesn't need to hold up that torrid pace for two seasons to get past Alworth. He only needs to average 1,100 yards per season for 2021 and 2022 to get there at the end of next season. With the 17 game seasons, that's only 65 yds per game average. In 2017 to 2019, three seasons, he averaged 1,263 yards per, in just 16 games. His output dropped to 992 last season. But with an extra game in the seasons now, it's not hard to imagine Keenan passing Joiner in the first half of next season and passing Alworth some time in the 2nd half. If he averages 1,100 yards over the next two seasons, he will have 9,600 receiving yards at the end of next year.

Allen is 29 today. He is under contract through the 2024 season, when he will be 32.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

This was a great thread and one I missed somehow. Terrific analysis and fun to see the comparisons Thank you, Velo. Allen is so good and consistent and "non splashy" it is easy to take him for granted.

Gotta say though, I was watching the 5 best plays against the Raiders on Chargers.com and they showed JJ's TD against the great (stickum covered) Lester Hayes when JJ beat him and then rolled into the end zone. JJ was such a joy to watch. He just floated out there. Hard to describe what it was like watching him live. So many great memories then the horrible ones when he ended up in a contract dispute and traded to Green Bay.

Never thought I would get over it and then all of a sudden we had Wes.

Those were fun and great days to be a chargers fan, friends. I feel like we have a bunch of those days ahead of us very soon now. Don't take it for granted like I did!

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Sometimes I think back to how much KA pissed me the fuck off as a rookie wearing a raider hat
                    thought to myself, well fuck this kid, he can go ahead and have an injury riddled career with the turds for all I care.

Crazy to think this shitty kid grew into the team leader we see today. Props to takeo spikes (iirc) and others for mentoring him. Now he's paying it forward.

deserves a ring as much as anyone on our team.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

Keenan has to be right next to Bambi, doesn't he? 2 greatest Bolt WR's ever.
                      That said, JJ was like a comet- a rare, celestial occurence that happens maybe once in a lifetime.
                      Oh what could have been......
                      Last edited by WindsorUK; 10-02-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

lQUOTE=21&500;n1252477]Sometimes I think back to how much KA pissed me the fuck off as a rookie wearing a raider hat
                        thought to myself, well fuck this kid, he can go ahead and have an injury riddled career with the turds for all I care.

Crazy to think this shitty kid grew into the team leader we see today. Props to takeo spikes (iirc) and others for mentoring him. Now he's paying it forward.

deserves a ring as much as anyone on our team.[/QUOTE]

Lol, that didn't bother me at.

Can't fault anyone rooting for their team when they are growing up. It certainly doesn't mean they won't perform for the the that is paying them. Rivers wasn't a Chargers fan growing up? LT was a Cowboys fan iirc

Most our players if not all aside from Herbert and Quesenberry were fans of other teams.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Another interesting fact about Allen is that he was only 20 on the day he was drafted. He came out of Cal a year early. His 21st birthday was April 27 2013. He was drafted on April 26 2013.

Comment

Working...
                          X