• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I say the same thing about Staley that I do about Moore, or Arthur Smith or Joe Brady - this just is not about being a coordinator - its about being a head coach. If the Chargers fire Lynn, and it might fail miserably - but the model of picking first time head coaches hasn't worked. I don't want to waste a year of Herberts career - I want somebody who will be ahead of the game the day they are hired. All these rookie HCs will have a steep learning curve. And yes, guys like Vrabel are doing well, Brian Flores - I just don't want to "take a chance on a newby" again.
    The Bears are 19-4 in the Matt Nagy era in games in which the offense has scored a touchdown before halftime. 19-4

Matt Nagy - First Time Head Coach Imagine IF the Bears had HIT on Mitch Trubisky? The Bears blew that pick. The Chargers hit pay dirt.

First step, find a coach that can defend a 7 point lead.

Rookie - 6th Round Safety with his second interception of the game.

Brandon Staley can coach up rookies too.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

I liked John Pagano's defense when he was here. Does Chuck bring him in? Would be cool
      remember Marty got canned cuz he wanted to bring in Brian Schotty as OC. NO NEPOSTISM with the bolts AT ALL!

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

remember Marty got canned cuz he wanted to bring in Brian Schotty as OC. NO NEPOSTISM with the bolts AT ALL!
        Please, this thread is about analysis of the L.A. Rams defensive coordinator. Thank You.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The Los Angeles Rams defense haven't allowed a second-half TD in a game since Week 3.

Repeat: The Los Angeles Rams defense haven't allowed a second-half TD in a game since Week 3.

GettyImages-1228277363-1024x683.jpg

Gus Bradley & Anthony Lynn

Record.jpeg

January 4th cannot come soon enough. #BlackMonday

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Website dedicated to coaching football, football analysis, playbooks, coverages, coaching techniques at the NFL and college football level

The Rams Brandon Staley's Defense Oct.28, 2020

Brandon Staley is a great story, but he is an even better defensive coordinator. He was coaching at John Carroll University in 2016 and 4 years later is the defensive coordinator of the LA Rams. But, based on what Ive seen he is one of the great young minds in the NFL.

After 5 weeks the Rams Defense is playing at a very formidable level. They are leading the league in various categories and statistically very solid.

Statistically:

#1 leading the league in sacks

#4 defense for total yards

#1 in yards per reception

#2 in receiving yards per game

#9 in the league in rushing defense (yards per game)

They are really getting after the passer and causing havoc for opposing offenses. They show multiple looks and have various adjustments that cause problems

**He does a great job getting 1 on 1 situations on passing downs for Aaron Darnold which is probably the best thing he is doing. Here is an example of that.

The Rams are undefeated in 2020 when leading at halftime. Largely because the Rams make adjustments at half-time. Against the Philadelphia Eagles, they didn't blitz once in the first half and played coverage. They were not pressuring out of respect for the Eagles run game, screen and play action game.

Once in the second half, the defense switched to a 5 man-front, and brought 5 man pressures in the 2nd half.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

It was his brother at D-Coordinator.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Please, this thread is about analysis of the L.A. Rams defensive coordinator. Thank You.
                you're the thread moderator? I commented on someone else who posted about Pagano...a defensive minded coach, and reminded that the bolts didnt like nepotism in coaching.

but OK go on about a guy who has coached D for less than a year and has no experience being a HC. He doesnt have to do what a HC does right now. Sure his D is stellar but just look at who he has on D there. He has 2 KEY pieces in a good D...a DOMINANT Dlineman and a DOMINANT cover corner. I think Bosa is very good but he is not dominant like Donald. and we have no one who covers like Ramsey and who doesnt back down from other #1 WRs.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Conclusion: The Rams are really good at getting after the passer and causing havoc for opposing offenses. They show multiple looks and have various adjustments that cause problems, but Coach Staley does a great job getting 1 on 1 situations on passing downs for Aaron Donald which is probably the best thing he is doing right now.

Extrapolating that logic, stands to reason that Brandon Staley could create schemes that put Joey Bosa into 1-on-1 situations, which Bosa has a high success rate.

The Rams play a base 4-man bear front. They play 2 three technique DT and a zero-technique nose guard with 3 linebackers in the game. When there is a tight end in the game, the 3 technique becomes a 4i. Rams defense plays 2 three technique DT and a nose guard with 3 linebackers in the game. When a 2nd tight end is used, the Rams shade the noseguard and go to a 5 technique.

They can switch personnel to a 3-4 with an eagle look.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

you're the thread moderator? I commented on someone else who posted about Pagano...a defensive minded coach, and reminded that the bolts didnt like nepotism in coaching.

but OK go on about a guy who has coached D for less than a year and has no experience being a HC. He doesnt have to do what a HC does right now. Sure his D is stellar but just look at who he has on D there. He has 2 KEY pieces in a good D...a DOMINANT Dlineman and a DOMINANT cover corner. I think Bosa is very good but he is not dominant like Donald. and we have no one who covers like Ramsey and who doesnt back down from other #1 WRs.
                    I agree with all your observations on the Rams. We lack have they have, ALL-PRO at DT & ALL-PRO at CB. You're absolutely right. I think we lack a defensive mind to utilize what we do possess.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Well it doesnt matter what i think. I dont think Staley is HC ready but whoever they hire ill just hope for the best but im not expecting a big time name hire. Staley fits the salary range they like to pay.

Thats IF they even fire Lynn.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        Well it doesnt matter what i think. I dont think Staley is HC ready but whoever they hire ill just hope for the best but im not expecting a big time name hire. Staley fits the salary range they like to pay.

Thats IF they even fire Lynn.
                        I was not happy about beating the Jets on Sunday. Sounds awful but a loss there would have sealed Lynn's fate and MIGHT have gotten us an interim coach. I predict a Charger-loss in a close game at Buffalo on Sunday. That will leave the Chargers at 3-8, guaranteeing Lynn a second losing season.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I could gurantee him a losing season now ahead of a loss. I really dont think he will make it to .500.

Comment

Working...
                          X