5 NFL Teams That Should Just Move Already.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

On a much smaller scale, over the past 10 years or so there was a huge debate/battle here in the Salt Lake area over building an MLS soccer stadium in the 'burbs. The stadium builders won out and Rio Tinto stadium was opened about five years ago. Everyone here loves it, it sells out almost every RSL game and hosts everything from concerts to national rugby tournaments. I believe it has been an absolute success both financially and in the community. Granted, this example is much smaller in scope than an NFL stadium in a big city but from a scale perspective the dynamics are very similar.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      My Dad worked for Rohr from 1967 until the beginning of this year and I never heard that story. I'll have to ask him if he was around for that.
      Well, it is no longer Rohr. It was B.F. Goodrich but they just sold it to another outfit from what I've heard.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Face it, the only real reason why the mayor is proposing going after the Olympics is to bring in more hot women to fondle.
        From what I can tell it doesn't take a hot woman to get Filner hot.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          It's a bit subjective about London: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/009f532a-f...#axzz2bleGr3z1

Here is a more general report on the economic impact of the Olympics, though it does have a higher estimated cost (in public money) for the London Olympics than was realized. It is a long read. It is interesting to note that Montreal took 30 years to pay off the debt it incurred in hosting the 1976 Olympics.
          Was that a 30 year fixed, or with balloon payments?
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

That is why they are proposing to spread the hit across several cities, so that everyone shares the financial load rather then hit one city up and take 20-30 years to pay it off.

The problem with helping to pay for football stadiums, is you are talking about a $1 billion investment that is going to be used about 14-15 times a year at most. If you could make sure that you host a major college team or two, an NFL team, host some concerts, host some other events including a bowl game or two every year and maybe get a SB every few years, then it starts to pay for itself. But the NFL and MLB don't want stadiums to be used for that many events, and that is the problem. Look at the NFL teams where the teams own the stadiums, they host a lot of events, they get a lot of extra income, and they don't have to split it with the cities.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              That is why they are proposing to spread the hit across several cities, so that everyone shares the financial load rather then hit one city up and take 20-30 years to pay it off.

The problem with helping to pay for football stadiums, is you are talking about a $1 billion investment that is going to be used about 14-15 times a year at most. If you could make sure that you host a major college team or two, an NFL team, host some concerts, host some other events including a bowl game or two every year and maybe get a SB every few years, then it starts to pay for itself. But the NFL and MLB don't want stadiums to be used for that many events, and that is the problem. Look at the NFL teams where the teams own the stadiums, they host a lot of events, they get a lot of extra income, and they don't have to split it with the cities.
              You've pretty much described the Charger proposal downtown. They would host the Chargers (10 games per year plus playoffs when that happens) the Aztecs (another 5 games), the Holiday Bowl, the Poinsettia Bowl which are all guaranteed. Then you are likely looking at a SB rotation of every 6 years or so. If they do the stadium downtown with the cover then you could be looking at a March Madness Final Four a few times. Perhaps even a world cup. Obviously you would still have concerts, monster truck rallys, supercross, promise keepers etc to fill in the gaps. The thing is these events don't actually put the stadium in the black as an investment. You have to add on additional revenue that is less tangible - such as increased tourism from the big time events - to make things pencil out.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is going to happen here. I also think that at some point we not only lose the Chargers but we decide to sell off the stadium property to developers - which will leave us with not large stadium at all in the 8th largest city in the US.

Comment

• lightningrod13
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                San Diego is a stupid City. Has been for years. I dont see the issue with the City on this. Petco is doing fine, drawing good crowds for a team that continues to stink and i assume it brings tax revenue. Maybe im wrong on th finacials but c-mon....even Pittsburgh built two new stadiums.
                As long as you have enough liberals in this city,(and state)they'll keep the new stadium from being a reality.Their only vision is
                that gigantic library that they built (waste of money),but they can't see how much revenue a stadium would bring in.
                Last edited by lightningrod13; 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by lightningrod13 View Post
                  As long as you have enough liberals in this city,(and state)they'll keep the new stadium from being a reality.Their only vision is
                  that gigantic library that they built (waste of money),but they can't see how much revenue a stadium would bring in.
                  My library travels with me - a laptop and a tablet.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by lightningrod13 View Post
                    Lol, this is hardly a true statement. Southern. Cal is a Republican area by far. SF is getting a stadium and they are more liberal out there.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      Lol, this is hardly a true statement. Southern. Cal is a Republican area by far. SF is getting a stadium and they are more liberal out there.
                      Actually San Diego and Orange counties as well as the Southeastern areas in California are Republican country, pretty much everywhere up the coast beginning in LA is Democrat.

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Actually San Diego and Orange counties as well as the Southeastern areas in California are Republican country, pretty much everywhere up the coast beginning in LA is Democrat.
                        The city of San Diego is not Republican and you would have to look long and hard to find many to the left of Filner.

Comment

• Wheels
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                          The city of San Diego is not Republican and you would have to look long and hard to find many to the left of Filner.
                          Filner was the first Democrat elected mayor in 20 years. The last one was Maureen O'Connor. Pretty good streak by the Republicans for it not being a Republican city.

Comment

Working...
                          X