• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeless simpson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
    To be a serial killer all you have to do is kill several people in multiple incidents. Any other classification I think is racist.
    nick lachey:logo

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Serial Killer is a term heavily associated with white male deranged psychotic killers.

Why isn't a guy who kills several people in multiple drive by shootings a serial killer?

Aileen Wuornos allegedly killed in self defense and in the act of robbery, is she a serial killer?

I don't think the term has a text book clinical definition, but applying criteria such as the motive or method seems to me be simply a way to try and chain the definition to the stereotype you have in your mind.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Serial Killer is a term heavily associated with white male deranged psychotic killers.

Why isn't a guy who kills several people in multiple drive by shootings a serial killer?

Aileen Wuornos allegedly killed in self defense and in the act of robbery, is she a serial killer?

I don't think the term has a text book clinical definition, but applying criteria such as the motive or method seems to me be simply a way to try and chain the definition to the stereotype you have in your mind.
        Robert Ressler and John Douglas have each written several interesting books on this subject, and their own theories as profilers.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

My take has always been that "serial" meant there was a conscious continuity to the murders being committed - BTK, Manson, Night Stalker, Son of Sam, Wayne Williams, all had a thematic way of murdering their victims.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

How did this 'White Male" get attached to mass/serial murderers? I think its race neutral... thinking of animals like Juan Corona, Richard Ramirez and the DC snipers...they all killed more than one person in a malicious fashion.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              My take has always been that "serial" meant there was a conscious continuity to the murders being committed - BTK, Manson, Night Stalker, Son of Sam, Wayne Williams, all had a thematic way of murdering their victims.
              I don't know about that, weren't these people sort of compelled to do it....like they just couldn't help themselves.

Regardless I don't think this is tied to the definition of the term

If you perform a series of murders you are a serial killer in my mind. Isn't that what serial is referring to? There is a series of killings. If it doesn't fit the stereotype should you refer to them as serial murderers instead? Would that satisfy those who don't think Aaron Michael Hernandez should be referred to as a serial killer?

I was reading that media coverage has someting to do with it, the white male serial killers are more sensationalized in the media. African American serial killers do not receive the notoriety. As far as Ramirez from my memory his reign of terror was a big media story before he was caught, I don't think he has gotten as much play as guy like Bundy after he was caught.....
              Last edited by BlazingBolt; 07-08-2013, 01:31 PM.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

I feel that gangsters should be included in the serial killer category, because they show a callous disregard for human life. Even if it's business, which seems to be how many of you are distinguishing them, they are likely sociopathic to be able to commit multiple murders like that. They would likely need to de-humanize their targets much like the sicko's like Gacy and Bundy (et. al.), in order to sleep at night. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, I don't think there's any difference legally (I could be wrong about that though), it's just a label.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I don't know about that, weren't these people sort of compelled to do it....like they just couldn't help themselves.

Regardless I don't think this is tied to the definition of the term

If you perform a series of murders you are a serial killer in my mind. Isn't that what serial is referring to? There is a series of killings. If it doesn't fit the stereotype should you refer to them as serial murderers instead? Would that satisfy those who don't think Aaron Michael Hernandez should be referred to as a serial killer?

I was reading that media coverage has someting to do with it, the white male serial killers are more sensationalized in the media. African American serial killers do not receive the notoriety. As far as Ramirez from my memory his reign of terror was a big media story before he was caught, I don't think he has gotten as much play as guy like Bundy after he was caught.....
                  List of serial killers, as recorded by wiki:

Count me in the group that doesn't get how race is a part of this.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

My wife sudied in behavior psycology that common trates of serial killers used today by profilers are young to middle age white men. (This is the part that Blaze is pulling the race card on.) I get that, but this is what profilers do. They look at the collective experience and make projections about a specific person involved in a specific case to attempt to stop catch them before more killings take place.

Its not the profiling done by AZ cops aledgedly. The history shows seriel killers share common trates. Good looking, smart, blend into surroundings, usualy they do not get cuaght the way Hernadez did. He made no attempts to "plan" this. Same with Drive by shootings. They are not planned nearly as detailed as a serial killer would. In otherwords no hunt, not prep. He did blend in, but his killings have motive otherthan killing as the motive. This is the biggest point to me.

On Serial Killers and race. We have seen hispanic serial killers but predominently they are white between 20 and 55. Since education usualy is common in these folks maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe black serial killers just don't get cuaght as much.

IMO Hernadez is a gang killer. Will kill for petty things or to protect himself from snitches and the like. He hold no value for human life. His motivation is self preservation and his loyalty are to his gang.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Phew! I'll be 55 next week, so I wont have to worry about being a Serial Killer soon.

These pork chops is delicious.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The Hernandez thing has to be pretty rare. How often do killers get caught (in part) because of their own high end security systems?

While he may be dysfunctional in a sense, he was functioning at a high enough level to go ahead and try to conceal the crime(s). He knew what he was doing was wrong, even if he tried to justify it to himself.

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

I'm not sure how high functioning he was at the time of the murder. You gotta dispose of the body. Reeks of amateur to me :lol:

Should of put the dude in the trunk and buried his ass somewhere. I think I watch too many cop drama's.

Comment

Working...
                          X