Ironman Philip Rivers - Is Rivers A Lock For The Hall?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

I think Rivers is saying he doesn't want to uproot and move his family again.

So it looks like the Colts or retirement.

Although to me if he does retire, I would move back to SD. He's loved there. Thats where all his kids grew up. But looks like he wants to move back to Alabama.
    That makes sense to me. I hope he goes 1 more season at least. They just need to get a couple beter pieces on offense and a stud TE would do Rivers wonders.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-10-2021, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Exactly right that for Phil its back in Indy or coaching HS ball. Here he talks about in the very first minute of his post game talk.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Sure they were difference makers. And so is your coach going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point. And the missed fg. And the numerous dropped passes. And jumping offsides when everyone in the entire country knows that is the only thing they were trying to do (easily the biggest play in the game as it led to a 4 point swing in a game lost by 3). And on and on. Rivers threw for 300 yards, 2 TDs and had no turnovers. He was easily good enough to win yet for some reason you choose to point the finger at him for the loss. Totally bizarre.
        I thought he played great and said as much in the game thread. That was the most competitive playoff game so far this weekend. Two pretty evenly matched teams. The difference to me came down to (1) Allen making a couple of plays in critical situations outside the pocket and Rivers not making a couple of plays in critical situations and )2) the Bills rookie fg kicker nailing 2 fg’s including g a 54 yarder while the Colts rookie missed a 33 yarder.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I am curious as to what the Colts' plans are for Jacob Eason? Are they grooming him to an eventual starter/franchise QB? They drafted him in 4th round as a junior out of Wash last year, and he's a prototype physical specimen at 6-6 231 lbs. He had a decent season for the Huskies in 2019 and for a time was in the first round discussion for the 2020 draft. If they do look at him as a their future, then bringing back Rivers for another season makes sense, to allow Eason to learn and grow from a QB who's had a HOF career. I don't hear much about Eason though, and whether the Colts regard him as their future or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Daboll wasn't the factor for sure in his play calling. Allen was the bigger factor. I didn't like the call for the pass that led to the 23 yd loss with only one time out left for the Colts, but that would have been on the HC as well. Colts DC couldn't contain Allen... I doubt he would contain the Chiefs.

If Daboll gets the job, it will be because he can run the team and not do the play calling. He has a lot of Patriot experience, could that translate?
            I 1000% disagree.

It was absolutely the right call for BUF to pass like the game depended on it on its final offensive series. Lynn would have turtled for a three and out and lost the game. The extra time and timeout that Daboll forced IND to burn probably won the game for BUF. Daboll gets that getting first downs late in the game is what matters, not running the ball.

And just because a play does not work does not mean that the play was not a good call. Passing the ball gave them the best chance to win, but the Bills did not execute the play very well.

We have Herbert, who is similar to Allen. That is exactly why we need Daboll and need him to be the one calling the plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Is Daboll always in the booth for the Bills when calling plays? I wonder if he prefers that so he can see the filed better and if so, he wont be calling plays for us lol, not from up there anyways and that may hinder him.

Of course maybe he was just up there today.
              He has switched back and forth over various years. It is not an issue.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

After the Rivers children grow up, Phil should really consider coaching in the NFL
                I think he potentially makes a better coach than even player!
                high football IQ
                Football character
                likability
                communication skills
                passion/competitiveness

He was never as physically gifted as a mahomes or Herbert type
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                  What happened on the 2 plays before the Hail Mary?

Rivers should be back.. he needs WRs with heart.

Reich lost that game....
                  Reich was awful, but he usually is. We already knew from his days with us that he was a worse play caller than Whiz by far. And he proved that repeatedly this season, including yesterday.

Too many early down running plays. He absolutely killed his team in the red zone today with terrible run pass distribution on multiple possessions and the obvious 4th down blunder to show that he could suck on 4 play calls of that series. He took the ball out of Rivers' hands for 3 plays and then made the stupid decision to go for it. He made an idiotic challenge in the second half, costing his team a badly needed timeout.

I thought the Colts were the better team on the field today, but the coaching edge of Daboll over Reich on play calling was pretty pronounced.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I thought he played great and said as much in the game thread. That was the most competitive playoff game so far this weekend. Two pretty evenly matched teams. The difference to me came down to (1) Allen making a couple of plays in critical situations outside the pocket and Rivers not making a couple of plays in critical situations and )2) the Bills rookie fg kicker nailing 2 fg’s including g a 54 yarder while the Colts rookie missed a 33 yarder.
                    Reich's poor decisions and poor play calling and dropped passes was the difference that I saw. I thought the Colts were the better team yesterday and should have won, but they went Reich out of the playoffs.

Comment

• foreigner
                      Tom Telesco is gone
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      After the Rivers children grow up, Phil should really consider coaching in the NFL
                      I think he potentially makes a better coach than even player!
                      high football IQ
                      Football character
                      likability
                      communication skills
                      passion/competitiveness

He was never as physically gifted as a mahomes or Herbert type
                      I wish he was our HC one day.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That makes sense to me. I hope he goes 1 more season at least. They just need to get a couple beter pieces on offense and a stud TE would do Rivers wonders.
                        he needs a stud WR... and probably a very good TE as well... he needs receiving weapons

Comment

• Rambler
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • No Cal
                          • Civil Research Attorney
                          • Send PM

Saw an article that suggested he would be a great color analyst, like a modern-day Dandy Don Meredith. Of course he'd take a big pay cut, but Romo money isn't anything to sneeze at.

Comment

Working...
                          X