Ironman Philip Rivers - Is Rivers A Lock For The Hall?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
    Saw an article that suggested he would be a great color analyst, like a modern-day Dandy Don Meredith. Of course he'd take a big pay cut, but Romo money isn't anything to sneeze at.
    Aw shucks, Dab Nabit, Golly Gee, Darn it, LOL!

:beer:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Sure they were difference makers. And so is your coach going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point. And the missed fg. And the numerous dropped passes. And jumping offsides when everyone in the entire country knows that is the only thing they were trying to do (easily the biggest play in the game as it led to a 4 point swing in a game lost by 3). And on and on. Rivers threw for 300 yards, 2 TDs and had no turnovers. He was easily good enough to win yet for some reason you choose to point the finger at him for the loss. Totally bizarre.
      If Rivers would’ve just thrown 7 TD it would’ve been a blow out and all those other issues wouldn’t have mattered.

Comment

• RyanLeaf4President
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I am curious as to what the Colts' plans are for Jacob Eason? Are they grooming him to an eventual starter/franchise QB? They drafted him in 4th round as a junior out of Wash last year, and he's a prototype physical specimen at 6-6 231 lbs. He had a decent season for the Huskies in 2019 and for a time was in the first round discussion for the 2020 draft. If they do look at him as a their future, then bringing back Rivers for another season makes sense, to allow Eason to learn and grow from a QB who's had a HOF career. I don't hear much about Eason though, and whether the Colts regard him as their future or not.
        If they do see Eason as the future, then I’d imagine the bring Rivers back one more year. They had no camp or preseason, so really hard to get a feel for how he’d be.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RyanLeaf4President View Post

If they do see Eason as the future, then I’d imagine the bring Rivers back one more year. They had no camp or preseason, so really hard to get a feel for how he’d be.
          I am a big fan of Rivers from his time as a Bolt but if I am the Colts - with that core group and cap space - I am calling the Lions and kicking the tires on Stafford. The OL in Indy would be an upgrade, he is more mobile than Rivers (I mean, what QB isn't) , he can make all the throws. They have the run game to compliment the passing game. Maybe a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder to the Lions.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I am curious as to what the Colts' plans are for Jacob Eason? Are they grooming him to an eventual starter/franchise QB? They drafted him in 4th round as a junior out of Wash last year, and he's a prototype physical specimen at 6-6 231 lbs. He had a decent season for the Huskies in 2019 and for a time was in the first round discussion for the 2020 draft. If they do look at him as a their future, then bringing back Rivers for another season makes sense, to allow Eason to learn and grow from a QB who's had a HOF career. I don't hear much about Eason though, and whether the Colts regard him as their future or not.
            I dont usually go to other forums but i did go to the Colts the other day to read some reactions. Nobody there seems to think Eason is a solution but of course, like all fans since he didnt play one snap they figure he isnt any good.

Some wouldnt mind Rivers returning but most think getting another QB is best. Many there want to bring in Wentz who IMO cant carry Rivers jock and i wouldnt want him. I think they should resign Rivers and draft a young QB early or have Eason sit another year. Who knows how they fel about him and with no preseason of course nobody asside from the coaches can tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Sorry richpjr, but QB is the most important player on the team, gets paid the most and those 2 plays were difference makers. Yes, the rookie fg kicker missed a short one, yes the Colts d jumped but those were empty red zone possessions.
              I disagree.

On the first FG, Reich called a first down running play on every single series. This forced Rivers to have to convert multiple third downs. He did so three times in a row. Reich then decided to run twice and Rivers could not convert the third down, resulting in a FG. Reich was guilty of putting Rivers behind the sticks like this all season long and it was because of Rivers' greatness that the Colts even got three points. Reich's play calling should have produced zero points.

On the goal line series featuring the failed 4th down attempt, Reich ran on second down out of the wildcat and ran laterally on third down from the 1 yard line, two horrible play calls in that situation. Then, after losing 3 yards on third down, Reich made his third horrible decision of the series by going for it and his 4th horrible decision with the play that was called. There was very little margin for error and Rivers put the ball just off of Pittman's fingertips while being pressure by two pass rushers and having to throw over a defender into the back corner of the end zone--not an impossible throw, but certainly not a high percentage throw.

Honestly, the only thing stupider than Reich's play calling was Esiason's halftime commentary suggesting that the 4th down play was on Rivers and that he "has to make that throw" after Reich, Esiason's college roommate, butchered the play calling on the series.

Rivers was responsible for the big chunk plays on that possession and Reich's decision to cut Rivers out of that series and not to utilize the play action pass that his heavy early down running would have naturally set up is a mystery. It is not Rivers' fault that Reich refused to rely on him primarily when the team was in the red zone. It is not proper to blame Rivers when the idiot head coach takes the ball out of his hands. And while Rivers can and did change plays to passes during the game, he has to account to Reich and his Lynn-like early down run preference.

Reich also burned a timeout with an obviously poor challenge and failed to recognize that the refs let 5 seconds run off of the clock after an out of bounds play with 19 seconds left when the Bills called timeout. The wasted timeout and the time issue are 100% on Reich and both were obvious mistakes. The entire timeout time elapsed and Reich still failed to address that with the refs. Those developments prevented the Colts from being able to use the intermediate middle of the field and then bring on the FG unit.

All of this was, of course, in addition to the missed FG, the critical offsides and multiple dropped passes.

In light of the disadvantaged situation in which Reich put Rivers, I thought Rivers had a very good game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont usually go to other forums but i did go to the Colts the other day to read some reactions. Nobody there seems to think Eason is a solution but of course, like all fans since he didnt play one snap they figure he isnt any good.

Some wouldnt mind Rivers returning but most think getting another QB is best. Many there want to bring in Wentz who IMO cant carry Rivers jock and i wouldnt want him. I think they should resign Rivers and draft a young QB early or have Eason sit another year. Who knows how they fel about him and with no preseason of course nobody asside from the coaches can tell.
                I read their posts and from time to time during the season and found them as a group to undervalue Rivers, saying really stupid stuff like Luck was a better QB (over his career) than Rivers and, more recently, how having players like Wentz or Stafford would be an upgrade for next year.

They are also less critical of Reich as a play caller than I would expect, whereas everyone here knows that Reich (no more draw plays please) did a worse job than Whisenhunt and was not a good play caller.

I cannot be critical of Colts fans for wanting to secure a long term option, but their comments discussing those other QBs as being better short term options are ridiculous.

To me, Eason has potential. I liked him better than Tua coming into the draft due in part to Tua's perceived injury potential (small and not fast is no bueno for an NFL QB).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I read their posts and from time to time during the season and found them as a group to undervalue Rivers, saying really stupid stuff like Luck was a better QB (over his career) than Rivers and, more recently, how having players like Wentz or Stafford would be an upgrade for next year.

They are also less critical of Reich as a play caller than I would expect, whereas everyone here knows that Reich (no more draw plays please) did a worse job than Whisenhunt and was not a good play caller.

I cannot be critical of Colts fans for wanting to secure a long term option, but their comments discussing those other QBs as being better short term options are ridiculous.

To me, Eason has potential. I liked him better than Tua coming into the draft due in part to Tua's perceived injury potential (small and not fast is no bueno for an NFL QB).
                  If Eason is your long term - he might need a year or two more. I think I would still think about Stafford. He may not be a huge improvement over Rivers but I think he is an improvement. I guess it just depends on the cost. Colts with that OL and Taylor will be a team that can run the ball. That helps a QB out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If Eason is your long term - he might need a year or two more. I think I would still think about Stafford. He may not be a huge improvement over Rivers but I think he is an improvement. I guess it just depends on the cost. Colts with that OL and Taylor will be a team that can run the ball. That helps a QB out.
                    With Reich stifling Rivers all season long, Rivers still finished with a higher QB rating than Stafford. Stafford is not better than Rivers. The Colts would be getting worse with Stafford versus Rivers, though he will play more seasons going forward than Rivers will.

Also, the Colts started out as one of the worst running teams in the league and Reich was killing their offense by calling too many early down running plays that put Rivers behind the sticks far too often. They improved all the way from last to 14th in YPC with a strong finish by Taylor, but their running game is far from dominant.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

With Reich stifling Rivers all season long, Rivers still finished with a higher QB rating than Stafford. Stafford is not better than Rivers. The Colts would be getting worse with Stafford versus Rivers, though he will play more seasons going forward than Rivers will.

Also, the Colts started out as one of the worst running teams in the league and Reich was killing their offense by calling too many early down running plays that put Rivers behind the sticks far too often. They improved all the way from last to 14th in YPC with a strong finish by Taylor, but their running game is far from dominant.

Maybe its coaching, talent, etc. I think that Stafford with Reich would be a better QB than STafford with Patricia. does that make him better than Rivers? Well, Rivers has a ceiling right now - not going to get better, probably won't get much worse. How much better can Reich and that team with a running game and OL - make Stafford?

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am a big fan of Rivers from his time as a Bolt but if I am the Colts - with that core group and cap space - I am calling the Lions and kicking the tires on Stafford. The OL in Indy would be an upgrade, he is more mobile than Rivers (I mean, what QB isn't) , he can make all the throws. They have the run game to compliment the passing game. Maybe a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder to the Lions.
                        Doesn't matter what QB you have if your receivers suck and can't catch the ball. Rivers might be waiting on his injury healing plus what the colts have in mind for adding weapons to offense. Rivers is just playing for a ring at this point in time.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I disagree.

On the first FG, Reich called a first down running play on every single series. This forced Rivers to have to convert multiple third downs. He did so three times in a row. Reich then decided to run twice and Rivers could not convert the third down, resulting in a FG. Reich was guilty of putting Rivers behind the sticks like this all season long and it was because of Rivers' greatness that the Colts even got three points. Reich's play calling should have produced zero points.

On the goal line series featuring the failed 4th down attempt, Reich ran on second down out of the wildcat and ran laterally on third down from the 1 yard line, two horrible play calls in that situation. Then, after losing 3 yards on third down, Reich made his third horrible decision of the series by going for it and his 4th horrible decision with the play that was called. There was very little margin for error and Rivers put the ball just off of Pittman's fingertips while being pressure by two pass rushers and having to throw over a defender into the back corner of the end zone--not an impossible throw, but certainly not a high percentage throw.

Honestly, the only thing stupider than Reich's play calling was Esiason's halftime commentary suggesting that the 4th down play was on Rivers and that he "has to make that throw" after Reich, Esiason's college roommate, butchered the play calling on the series.

Rivers was responsible for the big chunk plays on that possession and Reich's decision to cut Rivers out of that series and not to utilize the play action pass that his heavy early down running would have naturally set up is a mystery. It is not Rivers' fault that Reich refused to rely on him primarily when the team was in the red zone. It is not proper to blame Rivers when the idiot head coach takes the ball out of his hands. And while Rivers can and did change plays to passes during the game, he has to account to Reich and his Lynn-like early down run preference.

Reich also burned a timeout with an obviously poor challenge and failed to recognize that the refs let 5 seconds run off of the clock after an out of bounds play with 19 seconds left when the Bills called timeout. The wasted timeout and the time issue are 100% on Reich and both were obvious mistakes. The entire timeout time elapsed and Reich still failed to address that with the refs. Those developments prevented the Colts from being able to use the intermediate middle of the field and then bring on the FG unit.

All of this was, of course, in addition to the missed FG, the critical offsides and multiple dropped passes.

In light of the disadvantaged situation in which Reich put Rivers, I thought Rivers had a very good game.
                          Rivers said he agreed with that play and told Reich "OK, i like that call if you want to go for it". Rivers said they scored on that play in 2015 when Reich was the OC for us and its a play he has run several times. Its all in that video i posted of Rivers postgame comments.

Agree about Esiason. He is critical alot lately but he sure didnt hit those plays he is critical about. I also cant stand listening to Ovloski criticise a QB. That guy stunk and stupidly ran out of the back of the EZ while scrambling for a safety once so he had no fucking awareness.

Comment

Working...
                          X