• Send PM

More player reactions (so far I've just seen defensive players):

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

I posted this earlier today in our Head Coaching thread:

"I've wondered since the beginning of this if Robery Saleh was the one we want/need. Seeing what he gets out of his players and how he got the job done with all those injuries - well, I was impressed.

Since Saleh's off the table, I wonder if it should be Staley over Daboll. What I read about the guy, I like the work-ethic, the HIGH praise from his players, and the results he's gotten. I just have a sinking feeling about Daboll as the HC (and would be happy eat crow). But I think a defensive-minded coach would be amazing with Bosa, James, Murray, etc. Then let him bring in his OC.

As Critty says, you definitely need players. So TT better get the job done this offseason. But in terms of our HC, I'm thinking Staley over Daboll. There. I'm on the record."

And I'm glad we got him. I really felt like we needed a bright, young, passionate defensive mind.

I'll bet 10 to 1 we wanted Saleh first. But I'm happy.

Hoping I don't have to eat crow on this one.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

3:50 in is so key to me.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Agree...... it had to be price and willingness to keep existing coaches...... which Chargers have done ever single time we hire a new HC..... always forcing them to keep existing cheap coaches......
          I got the impression that TT really wanted to keep Pep. Probably his only coach he wanted to keep so maybe Staley knew him from being in the same building or perhaps knows of his coaching and agreed to keep him as OC or QB coach.

No idea but yes this is the Charger way. Probably came cheaper as well.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

super risky.... so success of BUF is not somehting Spanos wants????....why like with Lynn do we hire the LEAST qualified coach we can find?????
            What is so qualified about Daboll, I fail to understand? He's had one good year this year, the prior two years in Buffalo were nothing to be excited about and no point in talking about his stints as OC for the Browns, Dolphins or Chiefs as they were bottom of the league on average.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              On the bright side the guy has never kept a job for more than a couple of years
              lol.... it just means we will be wasting the first 5 years or so of Herbert's career......

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

How does anyone know if he is capable of being a head coach until he's a head coach?
                We'll see. I prefer experience somewhere, but that seems to not be an issue with the ownership. They are following that model of a young gun, like McVay (34 yo), Kingsbury (41), LeFleur (41), Stefanski (38), Zac Taylor (37), Kyle Shanahan (40). I have no idea if they bring in a ex-HC to help out... probably not.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

Don’t like this.

Anyone coach a top 5 defense with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on their team.

brian Daboll should’ve been hired

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I've been on these boards and seen every coaching hire since Mike Riley. I came to a version of this Charger board 21 years ago, and I can say I am very happy with this hire.

It makes sense, you pair a QB, you can't stop, with a defensive coach that's gonna stop the other guy. The logic is brilliant and simple.

What makes Staley's defense different is that his defensive lineman are attacking the player, not the gap. Gap integrity is left to the inside LBers in the bubble.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Utah
                      • Midnight Toker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

The analogy or metaphor is more like you were excited for a porterhouse and you get there and all they have to offer is some 80/20 ground chuck. That is the gap we are talking about here. This isn't porterhouse to filet, this is literally porterhouse to Costco ground chuck. Staley might be a nice guy, he just isn't a head coach in this league. I gave Lynn 2 years and was shocked he made it four. I'll give Staley 2 years, and knowing it is the Spanos, he will make it 3. Just a dreadful hire. They basically repeated their Lynn hiring inanity. Also, it is clear they panicked. I had no idea that Saleh was the choice, but I suspect he was.
                      Meh....

How do you know he's just a nice guy? Dreadful? Interesting. I think he is the lesser of the 2. However I would love hear why you are so sold on Saleh? What makes him better than Staley? They now need a stellar OC. I think the D is going to get a well needed change in philosophy.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

What is so qualified about Daboll, I fail to understand? He's had one good year this year, the prior two years in Buffalo were nothing to be excited about and no point in talking about his stints as OC for the Browns, Dolphins or Chiefs as they were bottom of the league on average.
                        This narrative of Daboll is completely wrong. He helped develop Allen, and the Bills were good prior to this. Daboll helped develop Tua and was the OC who won a National Championship at Alabama. Daboll won three rings with the Patriots. With Miami and the Browns, Daboll's developed offenses that went from being ranked roughly 30th to 15 to 20th and often with quarterbacks like Matt Moore. Daboll being a one year wonder is a bad statement. Remember when we picked McCoy instead of Arians or Reid? This will be the same mistake, just watch.

What I realize is that the Chargers ownership has a personality. Go watch a Staley interview. He has the same cadence and style of Norv, McCoy, Mike Riley. There is a style they seem to like.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                          Don’t like this.

Anyone coach a top 5 defense with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey on their team.

brian Daboll should’ve been hired
                          That is how I feel as well. However no need to waste any time and emotion. Because it's a done deal and lets give this young dude a chance. He can't do any worse than effing Lynn.

Comment

Working...
                          X