• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Wonder what happened with Daboll? Maybe the Bolts were afraid of waiting till after the SB, and the possibility of Daboll pulling a McDaniels...

Comment

• Originally posted by captaind View Post
      1) Our new coach is someone not named Jason Garrett, so I don’t have to punch myself in the nuts,
      2) Chainy hates the hire.

Two positives already.

I’m kinda stoked to be honest. I was tilting this direction last night after reading the discussion here. Whoever is responsible for Herbert’s performance last year, keep them around I hope because it ain’t broke (not that the OL couldn’t use some improvement). The defense, on the other hand, is awful. ST as well. Looking forward to seeing the staff filled in.
      Unless we cut Herbert, the person responsible for Herbert's performance will be with the team. Our play calling in 2020 was largely idiotic. That was where we blew numerous wins and turned them into losses. It was very much broken. That was the whole point. Look at where momentum shifted against KC, TB, DEN and NO. Look at the game plan for the MIA game. Look at the time management against LV, BUF and ATL. So what if our HC/OC made major mistakes in 8 games that hugely contributed to those games being lost. Why would anyone want to fix that? Yeah, that is not evidence of being broken. SMH....

It makes no sense to keep an OC who ran in two separate games with no timeouts and 20-30 seconds on the clock at the end of a half/game. As comedian Ron White is occasionally fond of saying, you can't fix stupid. As I have stated previously, I would expect any intelligent 5th grader familiar with football not to do that.

On its face, I do not see Staley as being a significantly better hire than Garrett would have been. And both are terrible hires in the face of what might have been with Daboll.

We could have at least matched KC's offense in 2021 with Daboll (the Bills outscored them) and our defense would have been better than KC's with any decent DC, which by the way, it appears we will not be getting since we will apparently be getting the architect of Houston's horrible 30th ranked defense (30th against the pass and 32nd against the run--it takes real talent to suck that badly when you have J.J. Watt) if the early reports are to be believed.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jorgecasas10 View Post

The rams when they had a lead at half time, they always won perfect record
        This fact is a good one but Rams have way way better defensive personnel than Chargers......

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          Wonder what happened with Daboll? Maybe the Bolts were afraid of waiting till after the SB, and the possibility of Daboll pulling a McDaniels...
          I think they got impatient and needed a Plan B. Though it seems Albert Breer felt it was down to either Daboll or Staley.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Unless we cut Herbert, the person responsible for Herbert's performance will be with the team. Our play calling in 2020 was largely idiotic. That was where we blew numerous wins and turned them into losses. It was very much broken. That was the whole point. Look at where momentum shifted against KC, TB, DEN and NO. Look at the game plan for the MIA game. Look at the time management against LV, BUF and ATL. So what if our HC/OC made major mistakes in 8 games that hugely contributed to those games being lost. Why would anyone want to fix that? Yeah, that is not evidence of being broken. SMH....

It makes no sense to keep an OC who ran in two separate games with no timeouts and 20-30 seconds on the clock at the end of a half/game. As comedian Ron White is occasionally fond of saying, you can't fix stupid. As I have stated previously, I would expect any intelligent 5th grader familiar with football not to do that.

On its face, I do not see Staley as being a significantly better hire than Garrett would have been. And both are terrible hires in the face of what might have been with Daboll.

We could have at least matched KC's offense in 2021 with Daboll (the Bills outscored them) and our defense would have been better than KC's with any decent DC, which by the way, it appears we will not be getting since we will apparently be getting the architect of Houston's horrible 30th ranked defense (30th against the pass and 32nd against the run--it takes real talent to suck that badly when you have J.J. Watt) if the early reports are to be believed.
            Play calling idiotic? A QB has the best rookie season in the history of the league, and it was due to idiotic play-calling? Ok.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

well said..... agree completely!!!

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Play calling idiotic? A QB has the best rookie season in the history of the league, and it was due to idiotic play-calling? Ok.
                The truth is, many of Lynn/Stitch's play calls WERE idiotic...and lost us some winnable games...now, in regards to Herbie, his mostly excellent play actually RESCUED the Bolts in a few games that we otherwise would have lost had Tyrod been the starter...

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                  For me, Staley is a Sean McDermott type hire, but likely better with a higher ceiling, and I wanted McDermott in 2017 when we interviewed him, and that's only because I followed Ron Rivera to the Panthers, and saw McDermott do a hell of a job as DC during his tenure there. Lynn, that year, came out of left field for everyone.
                  Way to be optimistic. There must be something about Brandon Staley that really impressed them. I'm going with that this is a great hire that will lead to great success and a pairing of Staley and Herbert for a long, long time.

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    its probably because Daboll wanted full control (like any real HC would) to hire his own guys..... and Spanos wanted to keep at least half of our existing staff......to save money....

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, I always find this humorous. Not to mention the fact that we don't really know the dynamics between Lynn and Steichen, and just how much of the play-calling late in games Lynn overrode Steichen on.

Apparently, the Seahawks think highly of Steichen to interview him. This reminds me of the year we had Frank Reich as OC and everyone wanted him fired, and he wound up being a great OC for the Eagles, and eventually a great head coach for the Colts.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

So you're saying Daboll helped develop Tua within 1 year under Saban's program which has the best talent, best coach but seemingly a constant rotation at offensive coordinator? Why couldn't he do that in his first year with Allen in 2018? And Daboll was a TE coach at New England for those rings, are we going to say he developed Gronkowski who was in his prime and arguably the best TE to play the game?

But I can agree with you about McCoy, I wanted Reid and only him that year. I'm sure you'll agree with me that we should have promoted Ron Rivera in 2010 before we finally wound up firing Norv Turner in 2012 (with Ron going to the Panthers in 2011). Maybe we'll find some common ground somewhere.
                        Allen's mechanics were awful coming into the NFL. Allen had difficulty mastering the offense. Daboll worked with him and they outscored the Chiefs this year.

Daboll's play calling, especially late in the season has been fantastic. Our play calling in 2020 was among the league's worst. That was where the opportunity for a huge gain was presenting itself and our ownership blew it plain and simple.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

its probably because Daboll wanted full control (like any real HC would) to hire his own guys..... and Spanos wanted to keep at least half of our existing staff......to save money....
                          Yep...u could be right, there Charge...I guess we'll know when they announce the staff...personally, I'd like to at LEAST see a shiny new OC and DC...don't want to hamper Staley out the gate with leftovers that might hinder his vision for the team...

Comment

Working...
                          X