• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by spoonman View Post
    Not sure how "small" you think SD is. The SD metro is close to 3.5 million, which is about the same size as Seattle and Minneapolis and larger than Denver, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc. The "small market" talk makes people think SD sound like Santa Barbara. SD is a very large metro area, but unfortunately doesn't have hundreds of miles of catchment area to pull fans like smaller cities (Denver, Buffalo, Pitts, Cleveland, etc) due to our geography (LA, Mexico, Ocean, Mountains).
    Population is part of that, but what more important is TV eyeballs. San Diego is the #17 media market, not small, but dwarfed by the LA market. Also there are fewer big businesses that can afford the luxury suites that the teams individually make money on.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Listen, I didn't mean that San Diego was small. I mean, I live in South Dakota, and our largest city is Sioux Falls.

I just meant it wasn't a HUGE media market like the larger cities. like Bolt-O said.

I was just thinking along the lines if, cut down the number of seats to out of towners (retirees, etc), they won't buy season tickets anyway, it would fill easier, and there would be less fans from other teams.

However, as many have mentioned, and I neglected to think of, was the Super Bowl. And San Diego rates as one of the top 3 Super Bowl cities. (San Diego, New Orleans, and Miami).

So, my proposal is pretty much dumb.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Population is part of that, but what more important is TV eyeballs. San Diego is the #17 media market, not small, but dwarfed by the LA market. Also there are fewer big businesses that can afford the luxury suites that the teams individually make money on.
        I think a new stadium will bring in more business that are willing to pay for these luxury suites. Even regular seats. As fun as it is to attend Charger games, Qualcomm is not a very fun experience. I dread having to go use the restroom in particular. And we're so used to seeing replays and having all sort of technological luxuries, That sort of thing just doesn't exist at the Q.

I haven't gone to a game for three years now but I'd be very excited to attend a game in a new stadium.

Comment

• TABF
          Por debajo del promedio
          • Jun 2013
          • SoCal
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          I think a new stadium will bring in more business that are willing to pay for these luxury suites. Even regular seats. As fun as it is to attend Charger games, Qualcomm is not a very fun experience. I dread having to go use the restroom in particular. And we're so used to seeing replays and having all sort of technological luxuries, That sort of thing just doesn't exist at the Q.

I haven't gone to a game for three years now but I'd be very excited to attend a game in a new stadium.
          I am a long time season ticket holder and the only thing that affects me w/the Q is the scoreboard... Very outdated. I don't partake in any of the amenities, concessions, bars etc. I wouldn't partake if we get a new stadium just as I don't at Petco. I tailgate from parking lot open to about an hour before the game, break down, make the walk and arrive in my seat 30 minutes before kickoff. I want a new stadium as it appears that is the only way we keep the Chargers in SD. If the Chargers leaving SD wasn't a topic of discussion, I would be quite fine with our HUUUUUGE parking lot and the fact that my seats are operable and in the shade every game by mid 1st quarter.

In fact, I think a huge retrofit of the stadium could do wonders (See Anaheim Angels)... Dump 500 million into that thing, fix the issues that the foo foo's have (heads, concessions, luxury boxes), completely redo the scoreboards, and I think we would be super bowl ready.

Hell, lets use Arizona as an example. 90% of the SB related festivities that took place were not on the stadium site. Things like the NFL Experience, Media day, Luncheons etc. They were all in Phoenix proper. The only large event that took place at the stadium was the game itself. Roughly 5-6 hours out of two weeks.

500 mill would make that stadium state of the art. The shell of the Q is fine, just gut the inside and make it modern. If the construction overlaps into the season, go to LA and play a few games... If you hire a large enough crew, and you have a good dude running it, 6 months is plenty to get a project that that completed. Hell, in the middle east and other parts of Asia, they build high rises from scratch in less time.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I appreciate this exchange from Karen and Acee in his chat today. This is very relevant info if you're talking about new stadiums/refurbishing old ones.

@Karen: I am not sure of the structure, but you have hit at the heart of the types of things the city (and the Chargers) have to let voters know in order to get this done.
            by Kevin Acee 12:11 PM
            ↑ 0

Hello Kevin, this stadium issue has been going on for what seems to be forever and it finally looks to be addressed one way or another. My main issue is that the city is losing millions of dollars evey year on Qualcomm, it's currently a bad business investment, and it's astounding That we've let it go on for so long!!! Investing in a stadium that works and is profitable for San Diego is what we need, we could then use that money for infrastructure, roads, schools! Do you think they could make it a package deal to where they city says if we invest X amount to a new stadium we can eventually invest X amount back into roads, schools, etc from the money we would no longer be losing from the current stadium plus some of the tax revenue a new stadium can create??
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I've not been in the "bowels" of the stadium, but I recall stories of exposed Rebar and other structural issues just due to age. I have been in the locker room, its tiny and cramped, almost like a dungeon. The sky boxes aren't all that decent, and because of the design of the stadium as a multiuse for baseball, the sight lines to those boxes as well as the field and plaza along the sidelines is probably the longest of any stadium outside O.co. I too don't care too much about the concessions, but if you go to another NFL stadium built recently (or even Petco), its almost going to a JC or HS stadium experience out in the concourse. I'd wish they could just renovate the Q but the lipstick on the old pig is dry and blood soaked.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                I am a long time season ticket holder and the only thing that affects me w/the Q is the scoreboard... Very outdated. I don't partake in any of the amenities, concessions, bars etc. I wouldn't partake if we get a new stadium just as I don't at Petco. I tailgate from parking lot open to about an hour before the game, break down, make the walk and arrive in my seat 30 minutes before kickoff. I want a new stadium as it appears that is the only way we keep the Chargers in SD. If the Chargers leaving SD wasn't a topic of discussion, I would be quite fine with our HUUUUUGE parking lot and the fact that my seats are operable and in the shade every game by mid 1st quarter.

In fact, I think a huge retrofit of the stadium could do wonders (See Anaheim Angels)... Dump 500 million into that thing, fix the issues that the foo foo's have (heads, concessions, luxury boxes), completely redo the scoreboards, and I think we would be super bowl ready.

Hell, lets use Arizona as an example. 90% of the SB related festivities that took place were not on the stadium site. Things like the NFL Experience, Media day, Luncheons etc. They were all in Phoenix proper. The only large event that took place at the stadium was the game itself. Roughly 5-6 hours out of two weeks.

500 mill would make that stadium state of the art. The shell of the Q is fine, just gut the inside and make it modern. If the construction overlaps into the season, go to LA and play a few games... If you hire a large enough crew, and you have a good dude running it, 6 months is plenty to get a project that that completed. Hell, in the middle east and other parts of Asia, they build high rises from scratch in less time.
                I feel the same way.
                Stop by the Bolt Pride tailgate sometime. We will feed you good grub and water your Hoarses.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                  Here's the article Beerman referenced in the rally and support thread. Finally some promising news:

County loan suggested for stadium
                  BTW, this is pretty much the County saying "Somebody else pay for it. We'll float you a loan if you need it."
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Sure does seem as though the Chargers are leaving us. Just a matter of whether it's 2015 or 2016. They can always use the Rose Bowl until Carson builds their Stadium. I guess I better accept it.
                    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                      Sure does seem as though the Chargers are leaving us. Just a matter of whether it's 2015 or 2016. They can always use the Rose Bowl until Carson builds their Stadium. I guess I better accept it.
                      I will laugh if it ends up being that shithole in Carson. Permanent year-round ventilation for the toxins underground? Oh, but "they" say it's at a safe level. Okee dokey!

Comment

• Wheels
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

I don't know, I actually am thinking something gets done here now. Kroenke is acting like the billionaire he is and just steam rolling that process, so I think the Chargers are going to be pushed to the sidelines here.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                          SLAM DUNK!
                          • Jun 2013
                          • East County San Diego
                          • Bolt fanatic
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                          They are already committed to SD for 2015.
                          migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

Working...
                          X