• Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

Missouri Senate Panel OKs Limit to Rams Stadium Bonds

A measure limiting Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon's ability to use bond money to pay for a new St. Louis football stadium won approval in a Senate committee Wednesday.

The bill would stop the state from extending or issuing new bonds without approval from the Legislature of voters. Members of Nixon's administration have said he has the authority to extend payments on the existing Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis to pay for a new dome with hopes of enticing the Rams to stay or attracting a new team.

Officials are concerned about the team moving because Rams owner Stan Kroenke is working to build a new Los Angeles stadium. In January, the team went year-to-year on the lease for the Edward Jones Dome, which the state is still paying for.

Sen. Ryan Silvey, R-Kansas City, sponsored the bill that limits Nixon's bonding authority.

"I don't believe that one person should be able to put the state $200 million in debt," Silvey said.

Nixon has touted his efforts to broker agreements with labor unions to work around-the-clock without overtime and relocate infrastructure to prepare the way for a new stadium in St. Louis along the Mississippi River.

The governor told reporters last month that having an NFL team in St. Louis is important for the city and the state but that he won't put any new burden on taxpayers to pay for a new stadium. He said he's committed to getting private investments to help pay for it.

A House panel is examining the economic benefits of having an NFL team in St. Louis. Missouri economic development officials presented a report Monday that concluded building a new football stadium in St. Louis could bring nearly $300 million in net sales tax revenues to the state over the next 30 years. Republican lawmakers were skeptical of that report.

The Senate bill now goes to the full chamber for consideration.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

With that in mind, one of the 10 to 12 scenarios being looked at by the league is particularly intriguing: The Rams go to L.A., the Raiders replace them in St. Louis and the Chargers remain in San Diego. The Rams would get a head start as the first team in L.A. (a reward for Kroenke's investment), the Raiders would get a fresh start in a new stadium and the Chargers would potentially be able to jump-start their efforts to build in San Diego, with the city knowing the team could join the Rams in Inglewood
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kroenke wins. Chargers lose.

Chargers are staying. Now we can get a deal done.

Comment

• Faded blues
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

The NFL gets to trade smaller St. Louis for larger L.A. and keep its relocation threat for all the owners who never actually want to move but are more than happy to bluff.

another article showing rams win.

Kroenke will start in la first to establish market which is indicated to be years.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

it's funny the Chargers never laid claim to part of the LA market when the Rams and/or Raiders were there- but now think that's something they own- because ~15k or so NFL starved football fans north of SD limits buys season tickets. I hope that gets argued in court at some point to see how valid their claim is and the Pandora's box it would open if successful. I would bet the majority of local current season ticket holders do not renew and follow the team in LA if they go. I'd also bet the majority of the 15K change allegiance back to the Rams or Raiders if they come back and no way do I see 60k LA fans forking over $3k each for Chargers PSLs either. I went to the Carson TC a few years ago and attendance was sparse and the commute sucked. So did looking at the smokestack of the nearby oil refinery and breathing the shitty air. The site is also in the flight path of LAX so noise may suck as well. It's really shortsighted to focus so much on that meager 25% at the risk of alienating the other 75% and their hometown fan base and probably tanking merchandise sales for a good long time. Those sales are normally the 2nd highest revenue for teams IIRC. If the team turns down a reasonable plan in San Diego thinking there is some Gold mine waiting for them in LA, I think they will be sadly disappointed and regret losing what they had pretty quickly.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Cardon was a bluff to get the ball rolling

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
              Cardon was a bluff to get the ball rolling
              It's a bluff to also extract as much as they can out of the city of San Diego.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                SLAM DUNK!
                • Jun 2013
                • East County San Diego
                • Bolt fanatic
                • Send PM

If the Raiders moved to St Louis and changed there branding so they were no longer the Raiders would that be a good thing? The total annihilation of a hated rival
                migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• bonehead
                  Undrafted
                  • Jul 2013
                  • TBD
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                  If the Raiders moved to St Louis and changed there branding so they were no longer the Raiders would that be a good thing? The total annihilation of a hated rival
                  It would be perfect.....have the NFL donate 200 million for a Raider museum in Oakland and that's the end of that
                  Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• TABF
                    Por debajo del promedio
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoCal
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    it's funny the Chargers never laid claim to part of the LA market when the Rams and/or Raiders were there- but now think that's something they own- because ~15k or so NFL starved football fans north of SD limits buys season tickets. I hope that gets argued in court at some point to see how valid their claim is and the Pandora's box it would open if successful. I would bet the majority of local current season ticket holders do not renew and follow the team in LA if they go. I'd also bet the majority of the 15K change allegiance back to the Rams or Raiders if they come back and no way do I see 60k LA fans forking over $3k each for Chargers PSLs either. I went to the Carson TC a few years ago and attendance was sparse and the commute sucked. So did looking at the smokestack of the nearby oil refinery and breathing the shitty air. The site is also in the flight path of LAX so noise may suck as well. It's really shortsighted to focus so much on that meager 25% at the risk of alienating the other 75% and their hometown fan base and probably tanking merchandise sales for a good long time. Those sales are normally the 2nd highest revenue for teams IIRC. If the team turns down a reasonable plan in San Diego thinking there is some Gold mine waiting for them in LA, I think they will be sadly disappointed and regret losing what they had pretty quickly.
                    When the Lams and Duhs were in LA, the Chargers never owned the LA TV Market which they currently do. I don't buy the 25% ticket holder rukas. This is about marketing money that the LA market brings. If another team (especially AFC) moves into LA, San Diego will lose that entire market to television.

The only issue with getting Chargers games in LA is if Fox is carrying the game and Fox wants to send LA TV a marquee game. Other than that the Chargers are on TV in LA each and every week of the season. Being the only regional team in the LA TV market has to be worth more than say 15K supposed ticket holders from this same market (which most are probably brokers).

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Dean speaks:

Comment

• TABF
                        Por debajo del promedio
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoCal
                        • Send PM

Dean Speaks yet he really doesn't say much. Baby steps I guess, but I am getting sick/tired of the hard ball these guys are playing through the media. Get rid of Fabiani and act like you want to stay, all the while, keep touting your fake NFL option in Carson...

Hey owners... Rah Rah time is now (If you really want to stay)....

Comment

• Faded blues
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

Major props to marty

NFL coming out is encouraging. Deal is going to get done.

Comment

Working...
                          X