POLL: Is It Time For The Spani To Quit Telling The Coach Who To Play?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

I think people give the spanos too much credit for their ability to fuck up this team...just because they moved them from SD. Truth is, they want to win, they just aren't very good at it...sooner or later they will accidentally get the right coach or GM...don't sweat it so much.
    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Is this a trick question?
      Well, yes and no...

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
        I think people give the spanos too much credit for their ability to fuck up this team...just because they moved them from SD. Truth is, they want to win, they just aren't very good at it...sooner or later they will accidentally get the right coach or GM...don't sweat it so much.
        Yeah, I agree with this. I am convinced that Dean really does want to win, but family wide ineptness has been a barrier. But if they are able to collectively self-assess and admit their mistakes, then learn from them, I think they will get it right eventually.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, I agree with this. I am convinced that Dean really does want to win, but family wide ineptness has been a barrier. But if they are able to collectively self-assess and admit their mistakes, then learn from them, I think they will get it right eventually.
          Yep...maybe Deano is like the drunk gambler who wakes up to learn the next morning that he's lost a fortune at the blackjack table...now, if we can just sober him up this time around to hire a REAL HC, that will be half the battle...

Comment

• Iowachargers 70
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

He looks like a waterboy. He's probably try and decide when players needed water though. It wouldn't work out
            appreciate adam sandler GIF

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Woodhead mentioned the Chargers are far from the only team to pressure a coach to play certain players - not that I agree with this at all.

These polls are pointless because the guy who owns the team is going to do whatever he wants.

Right or wrong......money gives you that privilege.

Comment

• Disco Volante
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2020
                • Send PM

Not if the coaches want to play tyrod taylor.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

I have a problem when they fire HCs and say it's a bottom line wins and loses business.
                  And then allow a GM who is 8 games under .500 in 8 years to remain.

At least Elway made the decision of .....I am not getting it done. Let me hire someone else to pick the groceries and work with the HC.

Not Spanos. It was the HC didn't get it done with our groceries. Let try another HC, maybe he can cook up a consistent winner with what we put in the pantry. Didn't work. Let's try another. Didn't work. Let's try a 3rd HC. But since we paid top dollar for that lemon. You must use lemon in the dish. No substitutes. But HC and players know we need some pepper here to spice it up right.....not that lemon. Too bad. Find a way to get it done with the lemon.

We are committed to building a championship team and finding the right Head Coach..........who will do it our way.
                  ​​​​
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Of course they should but I think it’s more hopeful to hope that the HC (whoever it will be) stop listening just take responsibility for like, you know, THIER job?
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Of course they should but I think it’s more hopeful to hope that the HC (whoever it will be) stop listening just take responsibility for like, you know, THIER job?
                      Unless you are self employed, everyone's job is to do whatever their boss tells them to do.

There are times when the short term and long term goals for the team and the coach can be very different. Look at our QB situation last year. Lynn wanted Taylor to start despite his very low ceiling because he is cautious and would not lose games by ever taking any chances. We all know how limited that would make the offense but Taylor would never have a 3 interception game like a rookie QB often does. Lynn was coaching for his job so rather than take his lumps developing a rookie QB that would likely have cost him games (if Herbert had played like a typical rookie and not like he did) he went with the "safe" QB choice. What if the team wanted to accelerate Herbert's development by letting him get his growing pains out of the way early instead of wasting a year with Taylor as the starter and pressured Lynn to start Herbert? This absolutely does happen and I can't fault a team for it. Now this isn't quite the same as pressuring McCoy to play Franklin because he was a high priced FA signing but we also don't really know all the details aside from the comment by Woodhead. What if Franklin was signed because McCoy wanted him badly and the front office said let him play and see if his play improves? None of the people behind Franklin exactly impressed anyone when they did get their chance and at least Franklin had success in the past.

I'm not absolving Dean or John or TT or whoever it was that pressured McCoy to play Franklin, but context is always important and we don't have that. Or maybe John is just a meddling, clueless idiot who should be in charge of concessions.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Too funny! Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Unless you are self employed, everyone's job is to do whatever their boss tells them to do.

There are times when the short term and long term goals for the team and the coach can be very different. Look at our QB situation last year. Lynn wanted Taylor to start despite his very low ceiling because he is cautious and would not lose games by ever taking any chances. We all know how limited that would make the offense but Taylor would never have a 3 interception game like a rookie QB often does. Lynn was coaching for his job so rather than take his lumps developing a rookie QB that would likely have cost him games (if Herbert had played like a typical rookie and not like he did) he went with the "safe" QB choice. What if the team wanted to accelerate Herbert's development by letting him get his growing pains out of the way early instead of wasting a year with Taylor as the starter and pressured Lynn to start Herbert? This absolutely does happen and I can't fault a team for it. Now this isn't quite the same as pressuring McCoy to play Franklin because he was a high priced FA signing but we also don't really know all the details aside from the comment by Woodhead. What if Franklin was signed because McCoy wanted him badly and the front office said let him play and see if his play improves? None of the people behind Franklin exactly impressed anyone when they did get their chance and at least Franklin had success in the past.

I'm not absolving Dean or John or TT or whoever it was that pressured McCoy to play Franklin, but context is always important and we don't have that. Or maybe John is just a meddling, clueless idiot who should be in charge of concessions.
                          Ya it's complicated and we don't have enough information to make many specific and responsible judgment calls on the situation
                          Im critical of McCoy because I believe strongly is that as a HC you have a responsibility to your players, your boss and ultimately yourself
                          You have to make choices as to what job tasks are negotiable, generally the more complicated your job, the more there is to negotiate
                          And if you decide you're going to tolerate being told who to play on the offensive line by your boss, because you're strategically trying to avoid being replaced, fine, no judgment, but don't bring your players into that dynamic.
                          It's not Slauson's responsibility to negotiate work roles between HC and Baby Spanos. So it's inappropriate to offer an excuse for why you can't follow through on Slauson's recommendation
                          McCoy should offer no excuse, no explanation other than responding with a thank you for doing what ive asked and I will factor your input into my decision.

Basic professional boundaries
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X