• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Good point. Speed kills. "Start me!!"

What if you can get a younger faster Von Miller like Reddick or Leonard Floyd for close to the same price. Floyd will be more cash

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

What if you can get a younger faster Von Miller like Reddick or Leonard Floyd for close to the same price. Floyd will be more cash
      Neither of those guys are close to Von Miller lol.
      We cant sign everybody that you keep bringng up and doubt we sign but a couple guys. Maybe three tops as i dont see us letting go off all the guys you keep mentioning.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We cant sign everybody that you keep bringng up and doubt we sign but a couple guys. Maybe three tops as i dont see us letting go off all the guys you keep mentioning.
        i bring up the names because they are true options in the NFL world with the salary cap I am not holding on to Joseph or Hayward out of some sense of loyalty or whatever - its cap space - its fluid in the NFL.

I am not so sure the Von Miller of 2021 will be better than Floyd or Reddick in 2021

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Neither are close to what Miller was in his prime. What about now? Another year older coming off a major injury and will surely want to be paid for his past performance. A heavily incentive laden contract would be okay but I'm sure some club will throw a ton of guaranteed money at him. It's also hard to imagine us signing a guy with red flags off the field.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

i bring up the names because they are true options in the NFL world with the salary cap I am not holding on to Joseph or Hayward out of some sense of loyalty or whatever - its cap space - its fluid in the NFL.

I am not so sure the Von Miller of 2021 will be better than Floyd or Reddick in 2021
            Id bet Miller is still better than those guys. Both had their only good season just last year.

Letting go of Joseph is a 4 mil dead cap hit. We also save over 7 mil but the dead cap stays no matter if we trade him or release him. He wasnt bad last season so not sure why we would just let him go.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Id bet Miller is still better than those guys. Both had their only good season just last year.

Letting go of Joseph is a 4 mil dead cap hit. We also save over 7 mil but the dead cap stays no matter if we trade him or release him. He wasnt bad last season so not sure why we would just let him go.

My feelings on Hayward and Joseph are this - they are in the last year of their contracts. They are not getting better. Take that cap space and see if you can sign players that will be equal too or better this year but better the next two years as well. The Chargers have a three year window of Justin Herbert being very cheap - I am maximizing that window. I understand that a better DL might cost more than 7.5m on an AAV basis - but maybe not the cap hit. And the 4m is dead anyway - its a sunk cost.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Neither are close to what Miller was in his prime. What about now? Another year older coming off a major injury and will surely want to be paid for his past performance. A heavily incentive laden contract would be okay but I'm sure some club will throw a ton of guaranteed money at him. It's also hard to imagine us signing a guy with red flags off the field.
                I wouldnt pay Miller big bucks but id surely be more intersted in him than Reddick and especially Floyd who i read somewhere can ask for 13 mil. Hell No to that for me. Most his sacks were coverage sacks and most were against the Seahawks where Wilson always holds the ball to long. Floyd dont beat his man very often. Nwosu can be that type of player.

Id rather draft another edge rusher.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-25-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

My feelings on Hayward and Joseph are this - they are in the last year of their contracts. They are not getting better. Take that cap space and see if you can sign players that will be equal too or better this year but better the next two years as well. The Chargers have a three year window of Justin Herbert being very cheap - I am maximizing that window. I understand that a better DL might cost more than 7.5m on an AAV basis - but maybe not the cap hit. And the 4m is dead anyway - its a sunk cost.
                  Be carefull what you wish for too. Hayward i can see, Joseph was one of the better DL for us. Deadcap still against the our cap. The difference is dead cap can be spread over two seasons but we would be paying Joseph to not be here. So basically if we release Joseph, the best case scenario is we spread his dead cap over 2 years which makes it 2 mil. We save 7.9 so the net is 5.9 mil.

I think we can still do it over 2 years. Used to be that way but we have had a new CBA since then. Hayward has a 2 mil dead cap which is more managable but you dont want to keep piling them up.

IMO Linval will only get released if deemed he isnt a fit. Honestly id rather trade Tilery who would have a 3.1 mil dad cap. But if we do it after June 1st its only 1.5. Which would give us a pick for 2022 draft.
                  However, maybe in his third season they can get something out of him which is why id wait til after June. Then they get a chance to evaluate him in TC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Be carefull what you wish for too. Hayward i can see, Joseph was one of the better DL for us. Deadcap still against the our cap. The difference is dead cap can be spread over two seasons but we would be paying Joseph to not be here. So basically if we release Joseph, the best case scenario is we spread his dead cap over 2 years which makes it 2 mil. We save 7.9 so the net is 5.9 mil.

I think we can still do it over 2 years. Used to be that way but we have had a new CBA since then. Hayward has a 2 mil dead cap which is more managable but you dont want to keep piling them up.

IMO Linval will only get released if deemed he isnt a fit. Honestly id rather trade Tilery who would have a 3.1 mil dad cap. But if we do it after June 1st its only 1.5. Which would give us a pick for 2022 draft.
                    However, maybe in his third season they can get something out of him which is why id wait til after June. Then they get a chance to evaluate him in TC.
                    You are wrong about Joseph - the Chargers can save up to $7.5m of cash (and cap)
                    HIs current salary is $5.5m with a $2M roster bonus paid if he is on the roster the third day of the new football year. So the Chargers would get 7.5m of cap space. The 4m is there no matter what happens

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

You are wrong about Joseph - the Chargers can save up to $7.5m of cash (and cap)
                      HIs current salary is $5.5m with a $2M roster bonus paid if he is on the roster the third day of the new football year. So the Chargers would get 7.5m of cap space. The 4m is there no matter what happens
                      Yes the 4 mil Bonus which is part of his guaranteed money is dead cap and it is an actual number that goes against our cap. It dont just disapear.

In anycase, he was still good for us so not sure why you want to release him.

Linval Joseph contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-25-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Yes the 4 mil Bonus which is part of his guaranteed money is dead cap is there and it is an actual number and goes against our cap. It dont just disapear.

In anycase, he was still good for us so not sure why you want to release him.

https://overthecap.com/player/linval-joseph/1825/
                        Only releasing if I can find a better player for the next three years. I am not just releasing him today. But since there is time with the football year - three days - to talk to free agents - I would explore all options open.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

If the price is right. Do it.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X