• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    There is kind of a big assumption being made here that the team is pushing the new coach to retain some of the current staff. What TT actually said was he had some recommendations on the coaching staff, but it would be up to the new coach. It could be he is recommending some of the current guys if the thinks they are good coaches (like Pep) or it could be people outside the organization.
    Yep, agree. I dont mind keeping Pep in whatever capacity but i dont want Steichen hanging around. O'Connel didnt call plays and one reason i wasnt real high on Bieniemy so we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt we are going to bring in old vet coachs for the younger guys we are rumord to hire lol.

Why the hell would we hire the younger guys and bring in old vets to be consultants? That just seems dumb to me. Either they think they can do it or not. Seems Staley is a smart guy so let him pick his staff.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

You bring in old vets to be consultants so you have more brains in the room to give perspective and present challenges that wind up creating new ideas and approaches.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yep, agree. I dont mind keeping Pep in whatever capacity but i dont want Steichen hanging around. O'Connel didnt call plays and one reason i wasnt real high on Bieniemy so we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt we are going to bring in old vet coachs for the younger guys we are rumord to hire lol.

Why the hell would we hire the younger guys and bring in old vets to be consultants? That just seems dumb to me. Either they think they can do it or not. Seems Staley is a smart guy so let him pick his staff.
        I don't get the hate for Steichen. When a rookie comes into the league with a shortened off-season and no preseason games and wasn't even taking first team reps before the season started, then has the most phenomenal rookie season in league history, the offensive coordinator played a role in that success.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't get the hate for Steichen. When a rookie comes into the league with a shortened off-season and no preseason games and wasn't even taking first team reps before the season started, then has the most phenomenal rookie season in league history, the offensive coordinator played a role in that success.
          Here's the collective response from Steichen haters...

:idby:

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The only offensive guys I would like considered to be retained are Pep Hamilton, and WR coach Phil McGeoghan. Campen would be ok, he only had about 80% availability from his oft injured players, but he hasn't turned Pipkins into even a reliable backup.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post

But he's being offered O.C positions, not sure he would pass that up.
              Pep or another minority does need to be interviewed I believe for coordinator positions. Be interesting to see the names on defense too.

Comment

• foreigner
                Tom Telesco is gone
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

I think this is a typical Chargers hiring... small contract Coordinator hiring...

Comment

• Silversurfer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Los Angeles
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pep or another minority does need to be interviewed I believe for coordinator positions. Be interesting to see the names on defense too.
                  True dont we pick up a extra 3rd round pick if Pep gets picked up?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You dont think any OC could of had that with Herbert? A better OC probably gets more from Herbert if you can imagine that. Breaks the yardage record by a long shot. Not that i cared about that.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      The only offensive guys I would like considered to be retained are Pep Hamilton, and WR coach Phil McGeoghan. Campen would be ok, he only had about 80% availability from his oft injured players, but he hasn't turned Pipkins into even a reliable backup.
                      Hamilton's run as an OC didn't end well for him with the Colts as he was fired in the middle of the 2015 season.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                        I think this is a typical Chargers hiring... small contract Coordinator hiring...
                        I find it interesting you know the terms of the contract, but I'll play...

What big contract head coach hiring did you have in mind that was available or interested in the Chargers job? Should we have hired Brian Daboll instead and offered him a guaranteed $10 million a year for 10 years to justify him as a premium head coach?

I say the Spanos' pay Staley $10 million a year then so he can be considered a premium large contract hire, and all the naysayers will be onboard. Problem solved.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                          O'Connell was also in his first year as a OC, but didn't call plays for McVay. I like Kevin, former Aztec, back up for Brady, and whip-smart.
                          Second year. He was the OC for the WFT last year with Haskins. I want him as OC now that Mike McDaniel is staying with the Niners.

Comment

Working...
                          X