Question: What 'System' Is The Whiz Offense Based On?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Question: What 'System' Is The Whiz Offense Based On?

I know Whiz came from Pittsburgh and Ron Earhardt was the OC there for a long time. So is the Whiz system, which I think we still run, based on Earhardt-Perkins?

McVay is a disciple of the Shanahan system so if McConnell comes over, he would bring that I think.

Just wondering how big a change it would be for Herbert if McConnell did come.

By the way, Rams fans (unlike Bills fans) seem to really hate the Chargers for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the stadium. Hiring Staley is more fuel for that fire. Some even think Spanos is an evil genius for doing it. But they dont seem to be big fans of McConnell and feel that McVay's ego will not permit him to accept any personal responsibility for the poor offensive performance and will make Goff and McConnell the scape goats. So if Staley wants him seems like good chance McConnell comes. McConnell did a pretty good job with a really lousy Washington offense, talent wise. I think it just depends how Staley and Steichen 'click'

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I know Whiz came from Pittsburgh and Ron Earhardt was the OC there for a long time. So is the Whiz system, which I think we still run, based on Earhardt-Perkins?

McVay is a disciple of the Shanahan system so if McConnell comes over, he would bring that I think.

Just wondering how big a change it would be for Herbert if McConnell did come.

By the way, Rams fans (unlike Bills fans) seem to really hate the Chargers for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the stadium. Hiring Staley is more fuel for that fire. Some even think Spanos is an evil genius for doing it. But they dont seem to be big fans of McConnell and feel that McVay's ego will not permit him to accept any personal responsibility for the poor offensive performance and will make Goff and McConnell the scape goats. So if Staley wants him seems like good chance McConnell comes. McConnell did a pretty good job with a really lousy Washington offense, talent wise. I think it just depends how Staley and Steichen 'click'

TG
    I want whatever offense the coaches deem is best for the skillset of Justin Herbert. So, I dont know enough about the Shanahan tree or the Earhardt/Perkins system - but I want the coaches to be smart enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses to build around that

But when I see the Shanahan system in say San Fran - maybe its QB limitation - but I think Herbert can do more down the field. I think the Bruce Arians "no risk it no biscuit" would be great for a guy like Herbert

So for that - maybe stick with the current and not switch systems.

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Whiz's System: https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/20...e-what-changes

Comment

• Silversurfer
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Los Angeles
        • Send PM

HB draw to death

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Id much rather bring back Whis than keep Steichen.
          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
          181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
          225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            Why? Because of a few bad play calls? The rest of the year he helped Herbert do his thing. Whos to say he wouldn't improve under a new head coach.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

His first professional job was with the Ravens, whose OC at the time was Ted Marchibroda, who is given credit for creating the :hurry up" K-Gun offense the Bills played during their 4 straight SB trips in the early 90's.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I want whatever offense the coaches deem is best for the skillset of Justin Herbert. So, I dont know enough about the Shanahan tree or the Earhardt/Perkins system - but I want the coaches to be smart enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses to build around that

But when I see the Shanahan system in say San Fran - maybe its QB limitation - but I think Herbert can do more down the field. I think the Bruce Arians "no risk it no biscuit" would be great for a guy like Herbert

So for that - maybe stick with the current and not switch systems.
                We used a variation of the Shanahan offensive scheme last year. It wasn’t fully implemented because of the Covid shortened offseason. But it’s arguably the best scheme for QBs. You saw what it did for Herbert. And you’re seeing what it’s doing for a bonafide star like Aaron Rodgers. Here’s my post with some of the article breakdown. Since you have The Athletic as well, look up Ted Nguyen to get the entire thing.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Why? Because of a few bad play calls? The rest of the year he helped Herbert do his thing. Whos to say he wouldn't improve under a new head coach.
                  More than a few bad calls and lack of awareness.
                  Two games he cost us and he cost Herbert a rookie record. The record i personally dont really care about but a lot of coaches who are aware of it and if in reach, they make it happen. Id have let him get it if i were the coach and he was so close and i wouldnt care about still throwing with a big enough lead...as no lead is big enough with Gus around.

If they bring him back, ok.....fine, but id rather move on the let Staley get his own guys instead of the team suggesting who they want to keep.

That hasn't worked.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                    HB draw to death
                    That was Reich as OC.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Did Whiz ever have QB break records?

Comment

I agree 100% with that.

Whiz got fired because he decided to pass more with his top 10 YPA offense instead of running more with his bottom 10 YPC ground game. Whiz was our best OC since 2006 (Cam Cameron).

I always thought it was funny how Norv tried to pump himself up by telling everyone within hearing distance that the offense was his system from back in the early 2000s and yet Cameron called plays better in Norv's offense than Norv ever did.

Obviously, in retrospect, Lynn should have been fired and not Whisenhunt.

Comment

Working...
                        X