• Show
Clear All
  • JOJAX85
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Irmo, SC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I think this goes both ways. DC gets poached as well. Just look at Saleh and Staley. It is just the nature of the beast. You can’t stop people from getting promoted.
    Agreed. If your guys are getting poached to be promoted that means you did something right. I equate it to LSU this year. If you're LSU & lost both Coordinators AFTER Winning the Natty, would you be ok with the season they just had?? I'd damn sure be ok with it if we won the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We ran Shanahans system? I find that hard to believe. Steichen took over for Whis and we arent changing systems mid season. If you are saying they changed it up this last season then im certainly in favor of running a different offense next season and canning Steichen.
      The goal this past offseason with Lynn and Steichen was implementing the Shanahan system. Obviously, it was never fully implemented because of Covid. But yes, we ran a variation of it. It’s one of the best system for QBs in general as evident by Herbert’s season. That’s why I was banging the table for Mike McDaniel before he was retained by the Niners.

Fleet just remembered but here’s part of the article as promised. Not the entire thing since it’s too damn long to copy and paste from a phone. Just the first few paragraphs before it gets all technical. But the goal shouldn’t be to have Herbert follow the same trajectory as Josh Allen. I want to go bigger and have him be like Arod. Albeit with more rings lol.
      https://theathletic.com/2302965/2021...-matt-lafleur/
      The Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay modern outside zone system is the most quarterback-friendly system in the NFL. Play action off of the outside zone can be indistinguishable from an actual run for defenses and it makes reads for quarterbacks much simpler than in a standard dropback passing game. It has helped quarterbacks with limited skill sets like Jared Goff and Jimmy Garoppolo look like top-10 quarterbacks for stretches. Baker Mayfield is in the midst of a resurgence after head coach Kevin Stefanski brought it to Cleveland. Even Mitchell Trubisky recently enjoyed a strong five-game stretch when the Bears began including elements of it in their offense.

However, when defenses shut down the run and defend play action soundly, some of these quarterbacks can quickly revert to pumpkins. In the last Super Bowl, Garoppolo failed to deliver when he was forced to drop back in the fourth quarter. In the Super Bowl before that, Goff could barely move the ball against the Patriots’ tilt front, a defense specifically designed to shut down the outside zone and boot — Goff and the Rams still have some trouble against teams that copy the Patriots’ blueprint from time-to-time.

What happens if you put a blue-chip quarterback into the system?

That was the idea when the Green Bay Packers hired Matt LaFleur as their head coach in 2019. In the few seasons before LaFleur, Aaron Rodgers was still putting up good numbers but it was becoming more clear that he just wasn’t producing as efficiently as when he was in his prime. He lost trust in Mike McCarthy’s offense and was trying to make too many off-script plays and held the ball far too long.

When LaFleur was hired, it wasn’t all smooth sailing. It usually takes a season for quarterbacks to learn the system and LaFleur and Rodgers had to adapt to each other. For example, the system usually doesn’t give a ton of room for quarterbacks to audible at the line of scrimmage. There are “kill” calls and set audibles that quarterbacks have to make against certain defensive looks but they weren’t typically given license to change the call to whatever they wanted like Peyton Manning was famous for doing. Rodgers’ ability to adjust and change plays at the line of scrimmage is one of his greatest strengths so LaFleur smartly adjusted and gave Rodgers a lot of freedom pre-snap. There were some growing pains in Rodgers’ first season in the system. Even so, he still performed well enough to get the Packers in the NFC Championship.

Rodgers is by far the most talented quarterback currently running this system and this season, he’s fully ingrained in it. It’s made life easier on him and his talents are taking it to new heights. In the regular season, he passed for 48 touchdowns to only five interceptions and completed 70.7 percent of his passes while averaging 8.17 yards per attempt. He’s one of the frontrunners for what would be his third MVP award.

One of the base plays in the outside zone system is the bootleg, in which the quarterback will fake an outside run to one side and roll out to the other. Rodgers is one of the best ever at throwing on the run so naturally, his skills translated and he’s been remarkably efficient on bootlegs. He can make the routine throws but when nothing is open, he can create on the run.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think i saw somewhere that Kafka is staying at KC, but i could be wrong.
        My guess is Kafka can wait to see if Eric Bieniemy gets the Texans job - as if he does, he will move up with the Chefs.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

There it is.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

There it is.
            Was his source Adam Schefter or Pat Kirwan?

I am not saying Lombardi might not be right - remains to be seen - but the first hire was a OL/TE coach - running game coordinator. Thats not the same staff.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Special Teams Coach: Asst Special Teams Coordinator for the Colts, Frank Ross, previously coached with Brandon Staley at John Carroll U. Colts ST were 4th in the NFL this year. They have a history.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Was his source Adam Schefter or Pat Kirwan?

I am not saying Lombardi might not be right - remains to be seen - but the first hire was a OL/TE coach - running game coordinator. Thats not the same staff.
                I'm regretting even posting it, bro. Lombardi just isn't reputable enough source for such a point of contention among us fans and the ownership. I think Brandon Staley is a terrific hire, he's a younger Vic Fangio. I don't want Lombardi's negative declarations to distract from a positive hire.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

I'm regretting even posting it, bro. Lombardi just isn't reputable enough source for such a point of contention among us fans and the ownership. I think Brandon Staley is a terrific hire, he's a younger Vic Fangio. I don't want Lombardi's negative declarations to distract from a positive hire.
                  Humility....looks odd on you, Ghost....:whistlin:

I jest...and whatever side your arguing, your prolific contributions are appreciated...keep em' coming...
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about Lombardi. This was hashed over in the other thread. We won’t know until it happens. And if we get O’Connell as our OC but keep Pep as our QB coach then Lombardi would technically be right. Even if he was completely wrong.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about Lombardi. This was hashed over in the other thread. We won’t know until it happens. And if we get O’Connell as our OC but keep Pep as our QB coach then Lombardi would technically be right. Even if he was completely wrong.
                      I wouldn't be comfortable enter any debate by saying 'Mike Lombardi says'....That is a bad look.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

all good
                        all good

i wonder if guys like Lombardi and others just have an axe to grind . Maybe the Chargers never interviewed him or something when he felt like they should
                        (granted, there is enough to critique the Spanii on - lord knows I have!) - but maybe Lombardi has a little "Buster Olney about the Padres" in him

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Humility....looks odd on you, Ghost....:whistlin:

I jest...and whatever side your arguing, your prolific contributions are appreciated...keep em' coming...
                          Dean Spanos just did a very positive thing and it is wrong for me to piss on or make light of that.

Comment

Working...
                          X