• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biggestfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Sports Fixes?

Over the course of the last decade I have seen some very fishy things occurring particularly in the NFL and NBA. Does anyone think that sports leagues are culpable in fixing, or I'll say tampering with certain games to sway the outcome to provide favorable matchups. Sports leagues are businesses. The NFL as an example considers itself an "entertainment" entity rather than a sports entity. I think both the Colts and the Browns most recently were hosed in their playoff games. I can think of numerous other playoff games in recent memory where there were key penalties, non calls, and other shenanigans that occurred. Just a discussion.
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post
    Over the course of the last decade I have seen some very fishy things occurring particularly in the NFL and NBA. Does anyone think that sports leagues are culpable in fixing, or I'll say tampering with certain games to sway the outcome to provide favorable matchups. Sports leagues are businesses. The NFL as an example considers itself an "entertainment" entity rather than a sports entity. I think both the Colts and the Browns most recently were hosed in their playoff games. I can think of numerous other playoff games in recent memory where there were key penalties, non calls, and other shenanigans that occurred. Just a discussion.
    If the NFL is not fixed then we have big time fans masquerading as NFL officials. The officiating is absolutely horrific.

Comment

• Biggestfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

If the NFL is not fixed then we have big time fans masquerading as NFL officials. The officiating is absolutely horrific.
      I agree. The officiating is terrible. But strangely it remains terrible year after year.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

No, I don't believe there is any fixing the outcome in sports. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but I know that a lot of people do, as evidenced by the spread of QAnon. The tendency of some to buy into totally false conspiracy theories like sports fixing is a human fallibility that is not totally understood. But I don't believe for a second that games are fixed or that certain teams are given preferential circumstances by the leagues.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I don't know about FIXED...but biased?

I think there is definitely bias. Things the Chargers have been called for over the years (you know how we always have that untimely penalty?), teams with 'glamor' players like Peyton Manning, and now Pat Mahomes...their teams don't get called for it.

Which is why I'm all aboard hoping that Herbie can be the Super Duper Star we think he is. It'll be nice to get some of that lovin.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• FoutsFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Birmingham AL
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post

I agree. The officiating is terrible. But strangely it remains terrible year after year.
            Roger Goodell reviewing officiating crews from the previous seasons.

This is fine.jpg

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              No, I don't believe there is any fixing the outcome in sports. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, but I know that a lot of people do, as evidenced by the spread of QAnon. The tendency of some to buy into totally false conspiracy theories like sports fixing is a human fallibility that is not totally understood. But I don't believe for a second that games are fixed or that certain teams are given preferential circumstances by the leagues.
              By this statement I am to believe you have never watched a down of Pro Football, which I know is not true.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post

I think there is definitely bias. Things the Chargers have been called for over the years (you know how we always have that untimely penalty?), teams with 'glamor' players like Peyton Manning, and now Pat Mahomes...their teams don't get called for it.

Which is why I'm all aboard hoping that Herbie can be the Super Duper Star we think he is. It'll be nice to get some of that lovin.
                The Chargers have definitely been on the wrong end of some questionable officiating over the past 15 years. Im hoping the team can finally put the right pieces in place to become a powerhouse capable of overcoming a few bad calls here and there.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Yes, I believe there are biases, though I don't think it's intentional. So many NFL rules are subjective and are up to personal interpretation by individual officials. The result is uneven penalty calling and inconsistent interpretation of what is a penalty and what is not. Officials are human and like all humans make mistakes.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

I don't think every game is fixed, rigged, or scripted. However, down the stretch of a season, story lines develop. As playoff implications start to unfold there are definitely better quote unquote matchups for ratings and the overall business of the league that arise. As I was watching the Chiefs VS Browns game in the back of my mind I knew no matter what, the Browns aren't winning this game. The Chiefs are the new dynasty. Maholmes is the new NFL poster boy. That being said, an organization has to make itself relevant by becoming competitive. That's up to them not the refs.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

The only way to fix this is to have a big enough lead that biased calls from the refs won’t affect the outcome. Hence the 10+ one score games we lost. Keep the metal to the pedal!

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yes, I believe there are biases, though I don't think it's intentional. So many NFL rules are subjective and are up to personal interpretation by individual officials. The result is uneven penalty calling and inconsistent interpretation of what is a penalty and what is not. Officials are human and like all humans make mistakes.
                        Making mistakes would mean random missed calls throughout the league affecting each team good and bad in equal parts. A few teams getting the benefit of calls very often is not a "mistake". Also non calls for obvious penalties help just as much as bad calls.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍