• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

The one thing i dont know is if we sign a FA , in this case Ghee, and he doesnt make the team, does that count against us? I thought he only had a one year deal.

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

Does it count if you sign your own FA? I.E. Butler?
      sigpic

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
        Does it count if you sign your own FA? I.E. Butler?
        Butler never reached free agency
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          Butler never reached free agency
          Unfortunately.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            Lost:
            Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - 5-year/$39M deal/$15M gtd
            Eric Decker - 5 year/$36.25/15gtd
            Zane Beadles - 5 year/ $30mil/13gtd
            Wesley Woodyard - 4 year/$15.75/$4.75 gtd
            Shaun Phillips 2 year/$4.8 $750k gtd
            Robert Ayers - 2 year/$4 - $6 mil/ $1.75mil gtd
            Jeremy Mincey - 2 year/$3 mil/$2 mil gtd
            Knowshon Moreno - 1 year/3mil

Signed:
            Aqib Talib - 6 year/$57mil/$26 gtd
            TJ Ward - 4 year/$22.5/$13.5 gtd
            Emmanuel Sanders - 3 year/$15mil/$6mil gtd
            Thanks for the details, I completely forgot about Decker and some of those other guys. They should add another condition, that a player who was employed less than 2 seasons shouldn't be counted. I mean how is that a loss when they were hardly on the team. Tend to think the NFL really shouldn't be handing out these supplemental picks anyway. What real purpose does it serve?

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

I don't understand why players signed via FA and players signed who are cut are counted differently, such as Ware or Flowers.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                I don't understand why players signed via FA and players signed who are cut are counted differently, such as Ware or Flowers.
                My best guess is that they didn't want a disincentive to signing free agents who were previously released. But it goes back to why in the hell are they artificially propping up teams who supposedly lost out in free agency.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
                  I don't care if the Donks get awarded a bunch of Mr. Irrelevant comp picks since most will either not make the team or only beat out URFAs in training camp, and end up as inactives or practice squad rejects.

But them getting something for S.Phillips seems like BS since the guy is already off of that new team and on another contract before the comp picks are even handed out.
                  He's still on the same contract.
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    How does Denver spend like a drunken sailor in free agency and still come out with comp picks? I see that Ware doesn't count in the formula, but they signed Talib, and lost Cromartie, so that's a wash right? Who else was lost without a corresponding gain?
                    Denver is actually kinda screwed long term. They signed a bunch of FA last year, big deals, but mostly bonus money and no salary for last year (2014) and this (2015). In 2016, they appear to have a lot of space, but almost everyone they will have is going to have a huge contract. Plus, they will need to sign a bunch of high price FA this season, so they are going to go into the 2016 FA with some of the highest paid guys in the league, and a bunch of UDFA scrubs, and no one in between.

And if any of the guys they signed last year or this year get cut, they lose most of the space to compensate. Meanwhile, we will have something like $100 mill in cap space for 2016 at this point, so we can have some flexibility beyond just the space we have this year. We can defer some of the costs like Denver did last year. We just don't want to do it to the extreme that Denver did, because that will hurt us if we make any mistakes.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Denver is actually kinda screwed long term. They signed a bunch of FA last year, big deals, but mostly bonus money and no salary for last year (2014) and this (2015). In 2016, they appear to have a lot of space, but almost everyone they will have is going to have a huge contract. Plus, they will need to sign a bunch of high price FA this season, so they are going to go into the 2016 FA with some of the highest paid guys in the league, and a bunch of UDFA scrubs, and no one in between.

And if any of the guys they signed last year or this year get cut, they lose most of the space to compensate. Meanwhile, we will have something like $100 mill in cap space for 2016 at this point, so we can have some flexibility beyond just the space we have this year. We can defer some of the costs like Denver did last year. We just don't want to do it to the extreme that Denver did, because that will hurt us if we make any mistakes.
                      Which free agent signings screwed them?
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Maybe the Chargers can team up with somebody else and we can transfer our high priced free agents back and forth so that we both get lots of compensatory picks. Deal?
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Working...
                        X