• Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Donald Butler is a Very Bad player

Originally posted by TTK View Post
    If he had played at the level he had been in the past, it wouldn't have been a bad contract.
    The levels that had him play 0 games in 2010, 12 in 2012, 13 in 2013 and 14 in 2014? He has been true to form.

Maybe he'll play in 15 next year...
    Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 12-16-2014, 01:19 AM.
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
    What the fuck were the Chargers thinking? He was never worth that.
    He definitely showed the potential. But the Chargers were smart in the way they structured the contract, so that he is really easy to let go without too huge a hit. I think the Chargers will keep him next season, because as badly as he has played this season he is still a talented individual and they have money sunk into him. But if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass, next season will be his last season.
    Adipose

Comment

• Panama
      パナマ
      • Aug 2013
      • London
      • Send PM

I don't like the draft picks. Too injury prone. And some just haven't been good. Allen is probably the best pick, but even he hasn't been good with consistency. I can't think of another era in which wide receivers have been this bad at getting open. Fluker is overrated. I'm trying to think of another draft pick who plays in many games. Maybe Watt? Looks like he might still need time on the practice squad.
      Thank you. Your views are rather amusing, and it is nice to be able to smile.
      Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
        Go Aztecs and Pads
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
        Thank you. Your views are rather amusing, and it is nice to be able to smile.
        Amusing because they are true. Party on, opera style.
        Do you think you can bring San Diego Super Chargers to the Opera House?

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Do you think you can bring San Diego Super Chargers to the Opera House?
          You don't think that's one of the first things I did when I got a chance to be in a theatre?

(Of course, I can't do that when there's an audience in the house.)
          Adipose

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

C'mon Panama... get one of your blokes to record you for a YouTube viral!

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              C'mon Panama... get one of your blokes to record you for a YouTube viral!
              Trust me, operatic renditions of "San Diego Super Chargers" do not work.
              Adipose

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Make it work
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  He definitely showed the potential. But the Chargers were smart in the way they structured the contract, so that he is really easy to let go without too huge a hit. I think the Chargers will keep him next season, because as badly as he has played this season he is still a talented individual and they have money sunk into him. But if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass, next season will be his last season.
                  I agree that Butler has demonstrated potential in the past. He looks slower and much less athletic this year for whatever reason. There have not been any of the big plays that he would produce from time to time in the past.

I also agree that they will not likely dump him next year because his contract has more dead money for next year than it does cap hit, so if the team took the full hit in 2015, they would lose somewhere around $3.5M. Also, at nearly $9M in dead money, it is a pretty big hit even spread over two years.

Also, while his play has been disappointing, he has not been a total liability. Even at his current level of play, he is worthy of an NFL roster spot. In other words, he has not reached the Meachem or Cox level of crappy player status.

I think barring an extraordinary performance on Butler's part in 2015, that will be his last year as his cap figure jumps up to about $9.3M in 2016 and his dead money comes down to about $6.7M, making him a stronger candidate to become a salary cap casualty. My best guess is that the team would choose to spread the dead money over two years.

Comment

• SFW
                    PB Official Game Thread Starter
                    • Jul 2013
                    • NY
                    • USMC
                    • Send PM

I know spotrac or rotoworld do not mention the specifics of his contract but from what I understand the last four years (2017-2020) of Butler's contract only kick in if the Chargers pick up the option before the league year of 2017 starts (five days after 2016 SuperBowl). If that is true, Butler will have two seasons left here and then be gone with no cap hit.

This is from rotoworld.........

2/28/2014: Signed a seven-year, $51.8 million contract. The deal included an $11.15 million signing bonus. Another $4.2 million is available through incentives. 2014: $750,000, 2015: $3.25 million, 2016: $4.65 million, 2017: $4 million (+ $12 million option bonus), 2018: $4.65 million, 2019: $5.35 million, 2020: $6 million, 2021: Free Agent
                    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Yubaking
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                      I know spotrac or rotoworld do not mention the specifics of his contract but from what I understand the last four years (2017-2020) of Butler's contract only kick in if the Chargers pick up the option before the league year of 2017 starts (five days after 2016 SuperBowl). If that is true, Butler will have two seasons left here and then be gone with no cap hit.

This is from rotoworld.........

2/28/2014: Signed a seven-year, $51.8 million contract. The deal included an $11.15 million signing bonus. Another $4.2 million is available through incentives. 2014: $750,000, 2015: $3.25 million, 2016: $4.65 million, 2017: $4 million (+ $12 million option bonus), 2018: $4.65 million, 2019: $5.35 million, 2020: $6 million, 2021: Free Agent
                      Spotrac says that Butler's 2016 cap hit of $9.28M includes a base salary of $4.65M, a prorated signing bonus of $2.23M and an option bonus of $2.4M. They identify his dead money as $6.69M (three years of prorated signing bonus) for 2016. This suggests that the option kicks in in 2016, but spotrac has been wrong before.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

As have some of we.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X