• Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Thanksgiving Day, 1965

Charges and Buffalo in Balboa Stadium.

Pete Gogolak of the Bills kicked a FG as time expired to tie the game at 20.

Lance Alworth had a couple of amazing catches.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

1972 Chargers vs Cowboys at San Diego Stadium

Don't remember much other than a Charger comeback and then loss.
      People were ragging on Duane Thomas the whole game who didn't seem to play.

Time for revenge!

Comment

• screeme18
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2019
        • Send PM

I couldn't tell you the year or game. It would be Early 80's sometime. My parents had season tickets, sometime in this time frame my Dad started to take me to a pre-season game every year. Occasionally, my mom wouldn't feel well and I'd get to go to a regular season game. Seats were Plaza, under the overhang, against the back wall behind the end zone, directly opposite the scoreboard. I probably sat in that seat a dozen + times (We moved in 1989) I can still close my eyes and see the view of the stadium from there.

Comment

• Portland1961
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Hillsboro Oregon
          • Construction Re-roof Estimator
          • Send PM

I was sitting in Balboa Stadium back in 1962. Sid Gillman was coach I think. So long ago I can't remember who they played. Of course I'm 77 years old and forget a lot of things. Just remember
          those were the most uncomfortable concrete seats ever.

Comment

• johnnywyoming
            Eeyore is Joey's #1 fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Oregon
            • Retirement
            • Send PM

For the September 10, 1978 game with the Raiders my company, Hurley Electronics (out of business now) bought a block of tickets for a customer appreciation promotion. I had no idea what was going on in the game as it was my first ever exposure to football.... and at the end of it, Oakland and the refs performed the Holy Roller! Been a diehard fan ever since!
            Thank God for morons. Without them who would the rest of us have to blame things on?

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by johnnywyoming View Post
              For the September 10, 1978 game with the Raiders my company, Hurley Electronics (out of business now) bought a block of tickets for a customer appreciation promotion. I had no idea what was going on in the game as it was my first ever exposure to football.... and at the end of it, Oakland and the refs performed the Holy Roller! Been a diehard fan ever since!
              Wow... the Holy Roller game was your first game...? What a first game! Years later, I was in Tahoe during "The Tuck" game (surrounded by Raiders' fans). I was laughing my ass off yelling, "Holy Roller Karma, Bitches!"

My 1st Chargers game was in 1976. Chargers vs. Rams. Kelcher, Big Hands, and Fred Dean all had great games (all rookies). Every Charger fan realized that we had the makings of a great defense. "Loooooooouie!" chants broke out all over the Murph that day. Air Coryell would debut a couple of years later...

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I know I was at the 1-11-81 AFC Championship loss. I think there was a game or two in '79 - '80. I was an Air Coryell fan.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Carlsbad, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

Dad took me to watch Joe Namath in 1968. The great AFL!

Comment

I have posted this before on the old Union Tribune forum. My Dad used to take me to Balboa Stadium(all concrete seats like a mini-rosebowl) in San Diego when I was a kid. My first favorite Charger players were Ernie Ladd, Speedy Duncan, Lance Alworth and Gary Garrison. Dickie Post...so many great players.

Speedy Duncan would return a kickoff for a touchdown at least once a game...those were the days.

And the old Charger canon....good memories.

So it must have been mid 1960's. so its in my blood..no matter where they ever move to....I am a bolt fan for life. I only hope to live to see a Superbowl title.

I went to the first game at Jack Murphy Stadium when it was new, and I drove by a few years ago when it was demolished...

I remember one time, I went down to WoolWorths at the local South Bay Plaze...I met and got three autographed black and white photos 8 1/2 x 10...Lance Alworth, Ron Mix, and Gary Garrison. They were stolen at some point by relatives believe it or not. I miss those photos.

Greatest Bolt of ALL time. Lance Alworth. Bambi.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...9109150sdg.htm

9-15-91

Falcons 13 Chargers 10

Went with my Dad who has since passed. Junior Seau and Deion Sanders best players in the game I guess. Carney was still a bad kicker, missed 3 kicks off the Padres infield dirt.

Last two games in SD I went to were these gems

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...1610020sdg.htm

and if that one wasnt bad enough

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...1610020sdg.htm

Rivers 4 INT and the last was pick 6 on a potential game winning drive with the game tied.

I have only been to one since they moved to LA and it was the one where Badgely set the FG distance record for the franchise.
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• HerbieHays91
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

December 20, 2015. Last home game of the year against the Phins me and my buddy (phins fan) flew in from Saskatchewan for the week and watched Woodhead get 4 TDs in a 30-14 win. Still haven’t been able to get to a home game in LA but hopefully pop that cherry soon!

Comment

• Scrap
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Dakota
                          • Send PM

November 7, 1993 in Minneapolis
                          SD 30 MINN 17

San Diego Chargers 30 at Minnesota Vikings 17 on November 7th, 1993 - Full team and player stats and box score

John Friesz vs. Sean Salisbury

Comment

Working...
                          X