1961 in Balboa Stadium.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

August, 1961. The first game ever played in San Diego. I was a 26 year old father of 2 and I couldn't afford tickets but the Chargers OL coach gave me two free tickets. Balboa Stadium was being renovated and the heavy equipment was still parked in the parking lot. We had to park over at the Navy Hospital and hoof it in.

It was one of those extremely hot days and I think I lost about ten pounds but I sure enjoyed the game. I got season tickets the next season and for every season after that until two years after we moved to the Bay Area.

I'm 86 now and fighting lung cancer so my long string of being a Charger fan is near the end but I have loved all those years. I always say even in the worst years there are always some great players that make the games worthwhile.

After all these years and all the great players, I still think Lance Alworth was the very best.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• foreigner
        Tom Telesco is gone
        • Sep 2013
        • Send PM

Sep 2002 Chargers - Cardinals. I got to see Junior, LT and Brees. That's 3 hall of famers.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          August, 1961. The first game ever played in San Diego. I was a 26 year old father of 2 and I couldn't afford tickets but the Chargers OL coach gave me two free tickets. Balboa Stadium was being renovated and the heavy equipment was still parked in the parking lot. We had to park over at the Navy Hospital and hoof it in.

It was one of those extremely hot days and I think I lost about ten pounds but I sure enjoyed the game. I got season tickets the next season and for every season after that until two years after we moved to the Bay Area.

I'm 86 now and fighting lung cancer so my long string of being a Charger fan is near the end but I have loved all those years. I always say even in the worst years there are always some great players that make the games worthwhile.

After all these years and all the great players, I still think Lance Alworth was the very best.
          I send you maximum MOJO to rid yourself of your cancer!

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

I send you maximum MOJO to rid yourself of your cancer!
            Thanks, I'm counting on Jesus!
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Chargers vs Cowboys pre-season game at Jack Murphy.... not sure the year, but me and my younger brother wore those yellow "Charger Power" T-shirts. I was probably around 12 so around 50 years ago.... Cowboys won as I recall but it was cool to see a game live in the stadium with my dad...

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                Generous Donor
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
                Cincinnati; November 1979.

Fouts must have thrown 4 picks but...a late TD pass to Artie Owens pulled us to within a point. The defense
                then forced the Bengals to punt. As I recall, a backup kicker-Mike Woods nailed a field with under 30 seconds
                left to save the game following a Fouts-Joiner hookup.

This game, with this guy.
                NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Wow, you have been a Chargers fan even longer than me. You probably know the teams history better than anyone else, including the ownership.

So sorry to hear about the cancer. Prayers are with you. I spent half of last year dealing with surgery and chemo for colon cancer.... so far this year, tests are clean, but I know reality is it could come back any time..... cancer is horrible and takes way too many good people.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

My most memorable memory wasn't even in a game. Walking home from school every day during our SuperBowl run was a mural someone spray painted on the side of a bar. It read SayOw!!
                    1994 Spring Valley, CA.

Presentday: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7131...7i16384!8i8192

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                      SLAM DUNK!
                      • Jun 2013
                      • East County San Diego
                      • Bolt fanatic
                      • Send PM

My School was right around the corner from Chargers park so sometimes we would see players doing things like going to 7-11

The only really specific one I remeber was seeing Mikhael Ricks at a stop light, windows down, and I was really high on his potential so I told him I thought he would kick ass and wished him luck.
                      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
                        Serenity now!
                        • Sep 2021
                        • North Carolina
                        • Teacher
                        • Send PM

I'm newer to the forum.

I came to love the Chargers due to Natrone Means and my first ever Bolts game in person was back in 1994 when we beat the Saints in New Orleans 36-22. My main man had 3 rushing td's on the day if I recall. My dad knew I loved Natrone and it worked out perfectly that one of his routes(He was a truck driver) took him near New Orleans so as an early bday present he took me along with him and then to the game; even though the company he drove for did not like non-company people riding in the truck.

It was a great experience for a 7 year old young man: Went to the French Quarter, had my first taste of gator lol, and then of course to see the Bolts in person for the first time and getting the W.

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

First week of football after 9/11. I flew from Toronto Ontario Canada to Dallas Texas (America's team). LTs rookie season. We managed to upgrade our tickets with a scalper and I was in the heart of Dallas Cowboy seasons tickets holders . 44 yard line, around 40 rows up. I'm not sure we could have got those on any other week ... Chargers won, I was loud as hell. Great time.

Comment

Working...
                          X