Clear All
  • The Intellectual Assassin
    Serenity now!
    • Sep 2021
    • North Carolina
    • Teacher
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    First week of football after 9/11. I flew from Toronto Ontario Canada to Dallas Texas (America's team). LTs rookie season. We managed to upgrade our tickets with a scalper and I was in the heart of Dallas Cowboy seasons tickets holders . 44 yard line, around 40 rows up. I'm not sure we could have got those on any other week ... Chargers won, I was loud as hell. Great time.
    Sounds cool. And of course anytime the Cowgirls lose is a good time:nod:. 'America's Team' my ass.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by The Intellectual Assassin View Post

Sounds cool. And of course anytime the Cowgirls lose is a good time:nod:. 'America's Team' my ass.
      I put that in there because that is their moniker and believe me there was a lot of concern at the time if there would be any sort of secondary attacks. Stadium like that would have been a prime target. The security was unreal...

Comment

Too long ago to remember. Balboa stadium San Diego...my first Charger heros were Lance Alworth, Garrison, Dickie Post, Speedy Duncan...

So I posted this in another forum years ago but here goes again as it may be interesting.....Lance Alworth after he retired from the Chargers, he stayed in San Diego and I remember he tried a few business. He had a clothing store across the street from the Sports Arena(is that thing still there)...I think I went there once.

There was this nightclub in SD called Flanigans, and me and my buddies of course used to go there to meet girls. Once night...I see this guy standing around sipping a drink. It was Lance...I would recognize him anywhere. Still looked handsome and in shape..dressed in tan pants and a leather jacket...not that big of a guy.

I finally get the courage to go up to him as I don't want to pass the opportunity up to speak with him. I introduce myself and tell him I am a big fan. After that, I was kinda curious....surely the Great Lance Alworth did not need to go to a niteclub to meet girls like the rest of us scrubs...so I said..."What are you doing here"?

He looked at me and smiled and said..."The same thing you are.."

I think he was used to dealing with fame.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

This topic gets brought up from time to time, but if you posted after The Intellectual Assassin, the posts seem to be lost after I merged... sorry about that.

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
            Serenity now!
            • Sep 2021
            • North Carolina
            • Teacher
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            This topic gets brought up from time to time, but if you posted after The Intellectual Assassin, the posts seem to be lost after I merged... sorry about that.
            My bad pal smh guess I should have searched and/or assumed a topic like this was up somewhere. Enjoying reading all these stories though!

Comment

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
              Balboa Bowl, just off the freeway into downtown Concrete steps as seats. Saw Jimi Hendrix there during his “AreYou Experience” tour. Blown out speaker covers. He cruised up across the field in a limo, Cream playing. We were the only white teenagers there, it seemed.
              Dude you saw Hendrix at Balboa? I never got to see him. Me and my buddy went to the Sports arena to see Hendrix sometime in the late 60's. My first album I ever bought was The Jimi Hendrix Experience...anyway...I had my paper route money...turns out tickets were $4.50....my buddy only had $4.00. I had the $4.50...so we did not buy tickets...You know..as a kid in those days...u just had the exact change...anyway...Hendrix OD'd in '69 I think...I missed him...that is the ONE event in my life I regret missing...in retrospect...we shoulda just borrowed or stolen or whatever to get in...oh well...I miss Jimi

What do u mean only white teens....

Comment

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Wow, you have been a Chargers fan even longer than me. You probably know the teams history better than anyone else, including the ownership.

So sorry to hear about the cancer. Prayers are with you. I spent half of last year dealing with surgery and chemo for colon cancer.... so far this year, tests are clean, but I know reality is it could come back any time..... cancer is horrible and takes way too many good people.
                I hope the Bolts win a superbowl for YOU

Comment

• Craig440
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Portland1961 View Post
                  1961 In Old Balboa Stadium on concrete seats. So long ago but got season tickets the next year.

Me too. I was seven and my step dad bought me a cushion that has a blanket inside. I still have it. My neighbor was Ron Nery defensive end.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                    Merge is broken. You have to "move" the posts. If you merge it puts all the posts you are sending to an old thread in the comments section. Which is turned off for members.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Merge is broken. You have to "move" the posts. If you merge it puts all the posts you are sending to an old thread in the comments section. Which is turned off for members.
                      Roger.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Think i pulled the posts out of the comment section and put them in the thread. Should be fixed. Edited The Intellectual Assassin original post so it didn't look like a thread starting post. Should be good to go. Sorry about that TIA. Good to have you here with us.

Comment

Working...
                        X