• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    They never even interviewed Arians even though he was the perceived front-runner. It was like a big rush job to not let McCoy leave San Diego without signing a contract.
    They didn't interview Chip Kelly either. But his $6.5mil per year at Oregon probably had nothing to do with that.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Other than what McCoy got paid, please show me something that said the Chargers wanted an inexpensive coach. If anything, it looks like he's a bargain.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
        Other than what McCoy got paid, please show me something that said the Chargers wanted an inexpensive coach. If anything, it looks like he's a bargain.
        Never said the Chargers wanted an inexpensive coach. Just that they dont pay coaches very much in comparison to other NFL HCs.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Let's you and him fight
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Sec-E4
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2014
            • Arizona
            • Send PM

They never even interviewed Arians even though he was the perceived front-runner. It was like a big rush job to not let McCoy leave San Diego without signing a contract.
            Yah....Because he was the Bang 4 your Buck. The best coach, With the best price, Dealwise. I think it had more to do with what TT was looking. MM was the guy who would resurrect Rivers back to All Pro form. I don't think other top coaches knew how to do that. Yah he had Reichs help but you get the point.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
              Yah....Because he was the Bang 4 your Buck. The best coach, With the best price, Dealwise. I think it had more to do with what TT was looking. MM was the guy who would resurrect Rivers back to All Pro form. I don't think other top coaches knew how to do that. Yah he had Reichs help but you get the point.
              I don't recall but we're there other teams hot to get McCoy? I was pretty surprised they hastily signed him without even talking to Arians.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I don't recall but we're there other teams hot to get McCoy? I was pretty surprised they hastily signed him without even talking to Arians.
                IIRC, he had a second interview scheduled with AZ, and the Chargers didn't let him leave. There were other teams bidding for the remaining candidates, so supply/demand increased Arians pricetag. McCoy could have waited for a bigger paycheck, but didn't...his choice.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Is McCoy in a contract year?
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

There weren't.

While Super Bowl and playoff coaches make 2-3x more the Chargers got their "overachiever" for cheap. Just like they've always done.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

Arians was scheduled to be interviewed when MM was hired. Its not like the Chargers were not considering him. Chip Kelly's offense was not a fit here. We don't have the QB to run his type of scheme, so that had more to do with his not being considered than his salary. The Chargers ended up hiring 2 HC candidates; MM and Whisenhunt. That doesn't seem like they were bargain hunting to me. The article and OIP's spin job seem more like offseason fodder just to fill space.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        There weren't.
                        No?

Mike McCoy to interview with 3 teams
                        Updated: January 3, 2013, 7:32 PM ET
                        ESPN.com news services

Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is scheduled to interview for head coaching jobs with the Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday, according to a league source.

McCoy, expected to be one of the most sought-after coordinators, is allowed to interview for head coaching jobs this weekend only because the Broncos have a bye in the playoffs. Denver finished the season 13-3, earning the AFC's top seed.

The Chicago Bears also could be traveling to Denver to visit with McCoy over the weekend, according to The Associated Press, for what will essentially be a get-to-know-you interview for both the coach and the interested suitors.

McCoy, 40, interviewed with the Miami Dolphins last season before being passed over in favor of Joe Philbin, the former offensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers.

McCoy also drew praise for helping the Broncos reach the playoffs last season with a read-option offense run by Tim Tebow. McCoy has been the Broncos' offensive coordinator since 2009.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike McCoy learned from last year's interview tour

Mike McCoy learned from last year's interview tour
                        By Kareem Copeland
                        Around the League Writer
                        Published: Jan. 3, 2013

Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy learned a lesson from his interview tour last year. He spoke with the Miami Dolphins and Jacksonville Jaguars about their head-coaching jobs before canceling with the Oakland Raiders.

McCoy had a second interview with the Dolphins and seemed to have the job. They hired Joe Philbin.

"Until you get that job, don't listen to anybody," McCoy told The Denver Post on Thursday. "Seriously, everyone had me penciled in, going to Miami last year and it was a done deal and don't get on a flight, this and that, it's your job. ... It's a learning process."

The Chicago Bears, Buffalo Bills and Arizona Cardinals all are scheduled to interview McCoy this year. He won't be tricked this time.

That makes 7 teams (including us, which wasn't mentioned in these articles), which accounts for over 20% of the league having interest in him as a head coach.

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

So basically the Chargers blinked.

Comment

Working...
                          X