Draft - Player You'd Pick Outside Of A Position Of Need, And What Round?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Did you not even watch last season?

I am not sure I would spend a draft pick on a kicker or punter (I haven't scouted K or P), but both positions can have a dramatic impact on the game. Badgely and Long need to step up their games. They are both young players at positions that take time to reach their peak, but they aren't as good as we need if we are going to be a championship caliber team. Neither performed at a level that was so poor they should be cut, but neither exactly cemented the job.

I don't think the Chargers have any position group that I would ignore the right draft pick. We are very thin in the secondary, and the FA rush on OL has left us with little depth there. Even QB could use the right player, although that is the one position group we can probably sit pat.

Trust the draft board.
    My point was that I consider kicker as a position of need based on the talent we currently have at that position. I'm not arguing against taking a kicker (or punter), I'm saying that I wouldn't include one of those in this thread because the point of this thread is taking players not at a position of need.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Given what else is on the board, I could be happy with Waddle at 13. That guy has speed to burn but is a quality WR beyond his speed.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

WR is not a position of need for the Chargers.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

KA is 28 with an injury history, MW is a FA, Johnson and Guyton are off the street FAs. Not a need turns into need very quickly.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Did you not even watch last season?

I am not sure I would spend a draft pick on a kicker or punter (I haven't scouted K or P), but both positions can have a dramatic impact on the game. Badgely and Long need to step up their games. They are both young players at positions that take time to reach their peak, but they aren't as good as we need if we are going to be a championship caliber team. Neither performed at a level that was so poor they should be cut, but neither exactly cemented the job.

I don't think the Chargers have any position group that I would ignore the right draft pick. We are very thin in the secondary, and the FA rush on OL has left us with little depth there. Even QB could use the right player, although that is the one position group we can probably sit pat.

Trust the draft board.
            I might use a 7th rounder on a kicker...Bankrupt Bags has been going downhill for the past two years...first year, kicked in 90%+, second year 80%+, last year 70%+...not trending the right way...

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I might use a 7th rounder on a kicker...Bankrupt Bags has been going downhill for the past two years...first year, kicked in 90%+, second year 80%+, last year 70%+...not trending the right way...
              We have 2 PK and 2 PT on the roster right now.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

We have 2 PK and 2 PT on the roster right now.
                Bankrupt Bags kicked at 72% last year--a disaster which most probably lost us a few games. Not to mention those missed PAT's.

So, now the Bolts have recently signed Tristan Vizcaino, who made a total of 3/3 in only one game for the Niners last year after he bounced around on practice squads on the Vikes and Niners...so have to go back to his college stats at Washington for a better picture. He only kicked one season with the Huskies, made 12/19 for 63%, even worse than Bags. And this was back in 2017...so he's been out of football for most of the last 3+ years. Not exactly a stellar signing. I still stand by my recommendation to draft one of the top college kickers in round 7, and let's have a real competition in the PS...

https://gohuskies.com/sports/footbal...-vizcaino/4952
                Last edited by Topcat; 04-18-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

IF RB Jarrett Patterson is on the board in the 3rd round would love to see the Chargers use one of the 3's on him. He looks like James Brooks, Sproles, Little Train, Ek all rolled into 1!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                    IF RB Jarrett Patterson is on the board in the 3rd round would love to see the Chargers use one of the 3's on him. He looks like James Brooks, Sproles, Little Train, Ek all rolled into 1!
                    He’ll be available in the 6th, maybe 7th round.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

He’ll be available in the 6th, maybe 7th round.
                      Are you sure Tarik Cohen was drafted in the 4th by the bears... I bet he's gone in the 4th so maybe I should have said the 4th round pick of the Chargers?

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Let's see, a player for a position we DON'T need....well, we don't need a QB, LB, WR ......uh.....anything else we DON'T need?
                        I'll say LB. JOK would be hard to pass in the 2nd, as would Cox. I think both players fit into Staley's idea of hybrid defenders. I wouldn't mind Surratt in the 3rd either.( another Staley type)
                        Dylan Moses is another uber athletic 2nd level player that would be a great addition. If he's there in the 4th, gotta take him.
                        I think all the players I've listed go every direction and find the football. And I believe any or all would be if not in our first 11, certainly they'd be in the rotation from day 1.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                          Let's see, a player for a position we DON'T need....well, we don't need a QB, LB, WR ......uh.....anything else we DON'T need?
                          I'll say LB. JOK would be hard to pass in the 2nd, as would Cox. I think both players fit into Staley's idea of hybrid defenders. I wouldn't mind Surratt in the 3rd either.( another Staley type)
                          Dylan Moses is another uber athletic 2nd level player that would be a great addition. If he's there in the 4th, gotta take him.
                          I think all the players I've listed go every direction and find the football. And I believe any or all would be if not in our first 11, certainly they'd be in the rotation from day 1.
                          Again, outside of QB... everything else is up for grabs

You mention LB. What LB did we have that really played well last season? Even just OK? Kyzir White had a decent 2nd half of the season, but was a big disappointment 2 years ago, and was horrible in the 1st half of the season ... Murray is safe because he is a 1st rounder, and he had some games he played well vs the run, but was not very good in coverage ... outside of that ... True Tranquill had a solid rookie season 2 years ago ... but has not proven himself ... I would not necessarily prioritize it with a 1st or 2nd round pick, but if it is the right guy, even then.

Wr may not be a huge need, but Williams has been good only in stretches ... We had some rookies and 1st year guys show flashes ... but in today's NFL, where we even the 49ers play a lot of 3 WR sets. Just saying that if this season's Keenan Allen drops into our laps, I would consider it at any spot.

Comment

Working...
                          X