• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
    Can't we just do the Green Bay thing and buy stock in the team? I have $12.37 + 2 cough drops that were washed in my jeans pocket.
    That's what I'm thinking. All Dean has to do is own 51% to control the whole show. There are minority rights if your abusing something illegally though!

opcorn:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

The problem with Popper's reasoning is that with every passing month and year, the debt increases, the interest increases, and the return on sale decreases. You are talking about the potential -- if Dean simply keeps flipping loans and creditors and interest rates -- to reduce the return on the investment substantially. Keep in mind too, everyone operates under the belief NFL teams and their value may increase. That may not be the case given the uncertainty of our post-pandemic existence. Lastly, if you are Dea, and you see the potential that the return may continue to fall -- and I have no doubt again the pandemic increased this fear -- then I think you try a hail mary here and make this public. This filing has nothing to do with being successful in court, as she won't be. She hopes she can sway the court of public opinion and the NFL to push Dean to sell.

Also, Popper is almost a $1 billion off on the team's value, which is about $2.27 billion. There is a big difference, obviously, between $3 billion and $2.3 billion.
      Just wanted to address the last part. But he said roughly $3 billion. It’s his guess since they were worth 2.6 billion in 2020. Even during a pandemic, I would be surprised if the team dropped in value from 2.6 billion. I could actually see it going up in value more because of the new tv and streaming deals.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        April fools?
        WAAAAAY to good to be true....
        Please don't let it be April Fools

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
          Can't we just do the Green Bay thing and buy stock in the team? I have $12.37 + 2 cough drops that were washed in my jeans pocket.
          I can toss in a jacked-up grape Jolly Rancher...

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I’d rather have Elon Musk buy it than Bezos.

He’s already got a network of super-Chargers...Goes with our theme song.

Plus, maybe we can have exhibition games on Mars one day.
            Elon Musk will move the team again. He got pissed off at CA and started moving his Tesla plants to Texas.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Elon Musk will move the team again. He got pissed off at CA and started moving his Tesla plants to Texas.
              Austin Chargers?
              Doesn’t have a good ring to it.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Please don't let it be April Fools
                If a billionaire keeps the brand the same, and the team in SD, I would be for it. But I just don’t see a good end result if Dean sells the team now. Should have done it in 2016.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

Please let this happen... Sooner rather than later....

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

She is stupid. A forced sale in the public is a fire sale.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Austin Chargers?
                      Doesn’t have a good ring to it.
                      Yeah, because no one in Austin is a life-long Cowboys fan...

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

If only there were a city that was scheduled to build a football stadium soon...
                        A place where a super rich person recently donated $30 million toward his (or her) pet project (Carbon capture)...
                        A place that needs private investor(s) to help build state-of-the-art engineering (aeronautics) labs on their new campus...
                        An investor whose life-long dream was to use data and research to enable him (or her) to reach the moon using such labs/facilities...
                        An investor who recently built a regional headquarters for his (or her) business in said city...
                        A place that would buy 60-65,000 football tickets every Sunday on a regular basis...

That would be awesome!

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Just wanted to address the last part. But he said roughly $3 billion. It’s his guess since they were worth 2.6 billion in 2020. Even during a pandemic, I would be surprised if the team dropped in value from 2.6 billion. I could actually see it going up in value more because of the new tv and streaming deals.
                          The information I've been told is that due to the pandemic, values are likely closer to 2018 Forbes values, which would be roughly $2.27 billion. The salary cap dropped due to the pandemic, which I think reflects the general view of franchise value. Unlikely over the last year there has been any increase in value. Still, Popper, as a journalist, merely had to look at 2020 Forbes and realize he was likely a cool $500 million off of his "estimate."

Still, Popper's analysis mistakes the ability to stay afloat with economic vitality and long term viability.

What my analysis failed to mention too was the relocation fee of $645 million. If the Spanos family has $645 million debt to the NFL, an additional $350 million of accrued debt, there is a debt of $1 billion right now. Thus the return, even from a $2.6 billion 2020 Forbes value is $1.6 billion. Every month, every year, that gets less. Assuming Forbes values are correct and the Chargers were valued at $2.0 billion upon leaving San Diego, the family's return after this LA gamble has decreased by $400 million and that debt only increases with time.

If you are Dea and see a long, slow car crash coming, wouldn't the prudent thing to be to sell your shares? Yes, it would. But Dean and the others can't, despite their "statement" today. Dean doesn't have cash on hand or he would have bought Dea out already. Hell, he wouldn't have incurred the current debt. I think Dea also recognizes for Dean and the other to buy her out, more debt will be incurred and thus her parents' investment merely incurs more debt and thus more harm for the family's values.

As I noted, Dea did this for the public shock and outrage; not that she will be legally successful. If you are the NFL owners, aren't you pushing Spanos to sell, with the above debt known? It would not surprise me. That doesn't mean the Chargers will return to San Diego. But it would not surprise me to see the team sold.

Comment

Working...
                          X