• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
    Every city and county has it shitty places....I get it , I prefer to live in SD, But if I got a nice job offer in LA I'd take it.. There is other county's that are close by that are nice and you can commute to LA, You don't have to live in the heart of LA..You dudes sound like living in skid row is the only option. Damn LoL....You guys must of visited the garment district or some sketchy places to be that Scared of LA ?!?!?!?!

You make it sound like you're gonna get alley raped and wake up in a bath tub :-/

And to think Nick Hardwick thought the Chargers were soft ;-) I'm sorry but you guys are coming off like the boy in the plastic bubble
    I know LA very well thank you. How much do you know about Southern culture and living? Its the perception that Southerners (like PR) have of the city that I was referring to. Its about big city living, traffic, smog, over population, crime, liberal left coast politics centered around the Hollywood sect, etc...Nobody said LA is skid row and nobody said they were scared to live there. It just isn't an attractive option to a dedicated family man from the South. Maybe as a rookie just entering the league, when his family was still small PR would have considered it. Now, in the twilight of his career? No way. He'd retire first. SD comes off as a sleepy little beach town that people go to for vacations and is in no way comparable to LA.
    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Every city and county has it shitty places....I get it , I prefer to live in SD, But if I got a nice job offer in LA I'd take it.. There is other county's that are close by that are nice and you can commute to LA, You don't have to live in the heart of LA..You dudes sound like living in skid row is the only option. Damn LoL....You guys must of visited the garment district or some sketchy places to be that Scared of LA ?!?!?!?!

You make it sound like you're gonna get alley raped and wake up in a bath tub :-/

And to think Nick Hardwick thought the Chargers were soft ;-) I'm sorry but you guys are coming off like the boy in the plastic bubble
      What does soft have to do with not liking LA? I wouldn't want to live in NY City either. I've spent plenty of time all over LA and rarely ever in any of the ghetto parts. I don't like it at all.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

Chargers, Mariota talk isn’t going away

For months, the Eagles have had the strongest connection to quarterback Marcus Mariota, given that their head coach: (1) recruited him to Oregon; and (2) repeatedly has praised him as a sure thing at the next level. More recently, another team that made it to the playoffs in the first year of the current coach’s tenure but missed the postseason in year two has been linked to Mariota — but the connection hasn’t drawn nearly as much attention or buzz.

Last week, NFL.com reported that Mariota will work out privately for the Buccaneers, the Jets, and the Chargers. (Mariota also has worked out privately for the Titans.)

Interest from the Buccaneers, Jets, and Titans all makes sense. Interest from the Chargers, who hold the 17th overall pick in the draft, doesn’t.

Or at least it didn’t make sense at the time the news of the workout emerged. Now that quarterback Philip Rivers has told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego that the fourth pick in the 2004 draft won’t sign a new contract before his current one expires after the 2015 season and may not sign a new contract at all (especially if the team moves to L.A.), the Chargers have to consider their options. With G.M. Tom Telesco declining (per Acee) to rule out a trade, the most obvious outcome would be Rivers to Tennessee for the second overall pick in the draft, and Mariota.

When the Rivers news emerged late Tuesday, it didn’t generate much buzz. Perhaps that’s because franchise quarterbacks rarely change teams, except when they’re seriously injured (Drew Brees and Peyton Manning) or when they’ve been nudged into retirement and later decide to come back (Brett Favre). For others, talk of a franchise quarterback leaving is always just talk, a prelude to a new contract being signed.

Still, the evidence in this case makes it impossible to rule out a trade. The Titans, burned by reaching four years ago for Jake Locker, may be skittish about taking Mariota. Coach Ken Whisenhunt, burned by trading for Kevin Kolb four years ago with the Cardinals, may be more interested in getting a veteran that Whisenhunt has worked with. In 2013, Whisenhunt worked with Rivers as San Diego’s offensive coordinator.

It’s unclear how much more the Chargers would have to send to Tennessee to get Mariota, since franchise quarterbacks are rarely traded. Would Rivers for the second overall pick be enough? Would it be Rivers plus the 17th overall pick?

The teams have plenty of time to work that out, if there’s mutual interest. And they’ll have the opportunity to do it in a few days, when every NFL team convenes in Arizona for the annual league meetings.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

Chargers, Mariota talk isn’t going away

Close this thread down, indeed. This is what makes the off-season so much FUN! No pressure to win games; no 'downer' Sundays; no INJURIES. LOL! Rivers and the 17th overall pick to the Titans for the #2 pick, plus the Titans' 2nd and 4th.

Then the Chargers can trade the #2 pick to Philly or Cleveland for MORE picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds. They would still get Gordon or Gurley, and be able to rebuild the DL, get and another OLB and OT/OG...and draft Hundley with ONE of their 2-3 2nd-round picks.

And none of those rookies would be refusing to play in LA.

JUST DO IT!

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

There is other county's that are close by that are nice and you can commute to LA
            You're joking, right? Commute? I'd rather walk several blocks thru skid row than live with that commute.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

There was just breaking news:

The Chargers just announced that Rivers isn't going anywhere. So this thread can be locked up

This Christian Cowboy is staying in SD
              lol, yep.

For THIS year anyways- NO way Rivers is moved. That would absolutely scuttle any chance of public support for a new stadium right when the team is on the cusp of having the 1st real effort by the power players to hand them a workable deal. Rivers is the face of the Chargers now.

Think about all the negative press and sense of betrayal that hit the Padres after Petco was built and how they never spent $ on a competitive team again. There are still too many people that felt the city got "duped" by Moores and Luchino with a bait and switch to get Petco built and then ride off into the sunset with millions of taxpayer money in their pockets.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• spoonman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2014
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                I know LA very well thank you. How much do you know about Southern culture and living? Its the perception that Southerners (like PR) have of the city that I was referring to. Its about big city living, traffic, smog, over population, crime, liberal left coast politics centered around the Hollywood sect, etc...Nobody said LA is skid row and nobody said they were scared to live there. It just isn't an attractive option to a dedicated family man from the South. Maybe as a rookie just entering the league, when his family was still small PR would have considered it. Now, in the twilight of his career? No way. He'd retire first. SD comes off as a sleepy little beach town that people go to for vacations and is in no way comparable to LA.
                Comments like this make me laugh... especially from the guy in Alabama. SD is not as large as LA, but still is a huge city with millions of people. LA and SD both have lots of similar areas, good and bad. LA just has more. That does not make SD Santa Barbara or a "sleepy beach town". San Diego is larger than Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc, etc. and actually has one of the highest densities of US cities.
                Last edited by spoonman; 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Live where?

What parts of LA that people think are great would you be unwilling to get paid to live there?
                  It's not that there aren't nice parts, there certainly are. For me it's more about the endless urban sprawl, the traffic, the smog. It's not as quaint as San Diego, and I think that's where a lot of San Diegans are coming from.

If the Chargers move and decide to rebrand entirely, maybe they should embrace it and choose the name the LA Hedonism.

Comment

• Wheels
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    lol, yep.

Think about all the negative press and sense of betrayal that hit the Padres after Petco was built and how they never spent $ on a competitive team again. There are still too many people that felt the city got "duped" by Moores and Luchino with a bait and switch to get Petco built and then ride off into the sunset with millions of taxpayer money in their pockets.
                    You seem to imply that's not what happened.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                      It's not that there aren't nice parts, there certainly are. For me it's more about the endless urban sprawl, the traffic, the smog. It's not as quaint as San Diego, and I think that's where a lot of San Diegans are coming from.
                      ^This. The whole "vibe" is a bit different too. No thanks.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

FWIW, Hardwick was on the radio discussing Rivers comments and while he hasn't spoken to him since then, he really does not see Rivers wanting to move to LA to raise his family there (he also said he would never want to raise his kids in LA either). He said he could see Rivers retire rather than move. I didn't get to hear the entire thing as someone in the car wouldn't shut up and let me listen as I was driving!

Comment

• UtahBolt
                          Did we win?
                          • Jun 2013
                          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                          • Send PM

As someone who grew up in LA (the valley), went to school in San Diego and have lived here in Utah for over 20 years I can speak with experience on the differences living in both LA and SD and the perception other places have of the two cities. First, I would move back to SD, I would not consider moving back to LA, even though it is my home. In fact, I do not even like going back to LA and now that my family has moved out of LA altogether, I don't have many reasons to go back. The stereotype associated with LA is very real, the traffic, smog, crime, sprawl is all there and is not appealing to me now that I have been removed from it. Growing up there and living in it, you don't really notice. Moving away from it, it's like, really, why the hell did I put up with that? In addition, the vibe of LA has changed for me...when I go home I barely recognize certain areas and places which seems crazy when talking about a place that is so built up and crowded already.

In my view, people here view LA as a place they have to go through to get to Disneyland. I don't know anyone here that takes vacations to LA specifically, it is always LA for some peripheral reason, such as Disneyland, Newport, etc. However, I know plenty of people here that vacation to SD, including myself. When folks here in the mountains think of renting a house on the beach, they are browsing VRBO in SD, not LA. I know many people that travel to SD to take in Charger games as well, although, usually to see the other team! Even though SD is a huge city, I think much of the perception is that it is smaller and more of a beach oriented community that is a more appealing destination amongst the non-So Cal population.
                          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

Working...
                          X