• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    O

Okay how about we trade rivers for Tennessee's first round pick this year and first round pick next year and second round pick this year?

Then we trade the second pic to the Eagles (mariota) for their first round pick this year first round pick next year second round pick this year and Sam Bradford
    And why is it you call yourself bonehead???
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      And why is it you call yourself bonehead???
      Hey u wanted a scenario where no one gives us three first rounders....TA DA
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Actually I was trying to illustrate that TT set the price so high as to turn away all bidders save those who are crazy. The Browns fit that category based on recent moves, Philly still has a reasonable doubt that Kelly has a plan...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Actually I was trying to illustrate that TT set the price so high as to turn away all bidders save those who are crazy. The Browns fit that category based on recent moves, Philly still has a reasonable doubt that Kelly has a plan...
          You had me at crazy

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
            2016 is a long way away and there are many things that will impact this situation that will need to play out.

There are open questions for down the road but none are worthy of 200 post threads of conjecture IMO.

All things being equal, Rivers wants to stay and win here. What that means is that the Chargers largely control their destiny with Rivers. So the real question is how seriously the club feels about retaining him. It would be Bill Johnston-quality PR to proclaim your intention to have 17 retire as a Charger when your intent is to replace him with someone younger.

To me, this mirrors the LA stadium partnership. It's a contrivance to serve short term goals related to the perceptions of others that are external to the team.

2016 will be here before you realize it and this will loom fairly large. I find it somewhat telling that Rivers has said that "nothing" will change his stance on getting a contract extension done this year. If "all things being equal," why wait? Clearly he is waiting to see how this team shapes up this year - which is his right.

Look at it from his perspective: his first year as full-time starter he went 14-2. His second year as full-time starter the team went to the AFC Championship game. The sky was the limit. While I think TT/McCoy have this team headed ultimately in the right direction, Rivers is arguably the furthest he's been from a championship at any time in his career barring probably the last two useless years under Norb. He's seen his closest friends on the team age and retire. His contemporaries all have multiple rings. Does the latter even matter to him? I don't know. But the initial non-committal comments at the end of the season and now this stance on the extension I think are very telling. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Honestly I don't know what Rivers' threshold for wanting to stay is. You say all things being equal, but does that mean the status quo? Because this team hasn't won double digit games or been considered a deep playoff contender since 2009. An AFC Championship appearance? At least one playoff win? But just based on his comments and where this team's trajectory have gone the last several years, I strongly feel that another non-playoff season could weigh heavily on him and drastically alter his decision-making.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Contract negotiations imminent, Rivers deployed a brilliant strategy. He gave his agent lots and lots of leverage weather he finds our offer worthy to except, or he allows his agent the opportunity to shop him - hence the floated price tag of three 1st round picks. Note the three picks offer came from within the orginazation
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                2016 will be here before you realize it and this will loom fairly large. I find it somewhat telling that Rivers has said that "nothing" will change his stance on getting a contract extension done this year. If "all things being equal," why wait? Clearly he is waiting to see how this team shapes up this year - which is his right.

Look at it from his perspective: his first year as full-time starter he went 14-2. His second year as full-time starter the team went to the AFC Championship game. The sky was the limit. While I think TT/McCoy have this team headed ultimately in the right direction, Rivers is arguably the furthest he's been from a championship at any time in his career barring probably the last two useless years under Norb. He's seen his closest friends on the team age and retire. His contemporaries all have multiple rings. Does the latter even matter to him? I don't know. But the initial non-committal comments at the end of the season and now this stance on the extension I think are very telling. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Honestly I don't know what Rivers' threshold for wanting to stay is. You say all things being equal, but does that mean the status quo? Because this team hasn't won double digit games or been considered a deep playoff contender since 2009. An AFC Championship appearance? At least one playoff win? But just based on his comments and where this team's trajectory have gone the last several years, I strongly feel that another non-playoff season could weigh heavily on him and drastically alter his decision-making.
                IMO, moving to LA is the single biggest thing weighing in on this decision. Since we'll soon know one way or another, there is simply no reason for him to sign an extension until that decision is made.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  2016 is a long way away and there are many things that will impact this situation that will need to play out.

There are open questions for down the road but none are worthy of 200 post threads of conjecture IMO.

All things being equal, Rivers wants to stay and win here. What that means is that the Chargers largely control their destiny with Rivers. So the real question is how seriously the club feels about retaining him. It would be Bill Johnston-quality PR to proclaim your intention to have 17 retire as a Charger when your intent is to replace him with someone younger.

To me, this mirrors the LA stadium partnership. It's a contrivance to serve short term goals related to the perceptions of others that are external to the team.
                  Your implication that Rivers is doing this to further the Spanos' agenda seems more off base than any other post in this thread. Rivers is a straight shooter, he's not working angles for ownership.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Contract negotiations imminent, Rivers deployed a brilliant strategy. He gave his agent lots and lots of leverage weather he finds our offer worthy to except, or he allows his agent the opportunity to shop him - hence the floated price tag of three 1st round picks. Note the three picks offer came from within the orginazation
                    Hmmmm.....boarded a flight to Houston this a.m. Brees was on it....coincidence??

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Bree's to the Texans? Rivers to the Saints? JJ Watt to us???
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Hmmmm.....boarded a flight to Houston this a.m. Brees was on it....coincidence??
                        Did he fly coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                          Are you sure it was Drew Brees and not Peter Dinklage (or OIP)?

Comment

Working...
                          X