• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Um AFKABKR, meet the eliphant in the room...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Just hard to believe this is getting so much traction from people who should know better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
        He was on one in 2006.
        Doesnt really have any barring on the current team.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport intimates the Chargers have left open the possibility of trading Philip Rivers.
          The Chargers have made it clear they don't want to trade Rivers. "But what I have not heard, is we will not trade Rivers," were the words of Rapsheet on Path to the Draft. It may seem like a stretch, but general managers deal in this sort of doublespeak all the time. It's possible Tom Telesco has deliberately left himself some wiggle room in the event his franchise signal caller is shipped out. Although it's hard to picture Rivers in another uniform, his public comments on his Chargers future were far more direct than we're used to hearing from players.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.
          Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33
          Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Wheels
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
            Looks like he might have some strong feelings about remaining a Charger. I think the uncertainty of LA could just be an excuse.
            That's my impression as well. I think the LA angle is overplayed, or maybe just a contributing factor. I think he's more concerned about the direction of the team. His OL was shit last year.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
              NFL.com's Ian Rapoport intimates the Chargers have left open the possibility of trading Philip Rivers.
              The Chargers have made it clear they don't want to trade Rivers. "But what I have not heard, is we will not trade Rivers," were the words of Rapsheet on Path to the Draft. It may seem like a stretch, but general managers deal in this sort of doublespeak all the time. It's possible Tom Telesco has deliberately left himself some wiggle room in the event his franchise signal caller is shipped out. Although it's hard to picture Rivers in another uniform, his public comments on his Chargers future were far more direct than we're used to hearing from players.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it would take "multiple first-round picks" for the Chargers to trade Philip Rivers.
              Rapsheet's report is via ""several sources with the Chargers." Rapsheet emphasizes that the team doesn't want to trade Rivers, but that it hasn't explicitly said he won't be dealt. The Bolts recently approached Rivers about an extension, but were rebuffed. Rivers is on public record as wanting to play out his deal, and says there's "nothing" that could change his mind. Multiple first-rounders would indeed be the going rate for a quarterback of Rivers' ilk, even at age 33
              LOL! Let's try and guess how many more of these little reports will surface between now and 1 second AFTER the Titans make their pick on Draft Day.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                Just hard to believe this is getting so much traction from people who should know better.
                It seems clear that rivers will not be signing an extension before the start of this season.

So if this team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs, do you think he will want to re-sign here? I pose that as a serious question, regardless of the LA thing.

Guess we could.franchise him, but is that the kind of relationship we want with our franchise QB? Essentially holding him hostage when its clear he doesnt want to be here. And how much cap space would it take to franchise him? Would that further hurt our ability to add more players? Its just not an environment conducive to winning. Hell, I could see him just retiring if his body takes another year of pounding like the last.

I agree that the trade rumors are a bit bogus, but you can't say that 2016 and beyond arent in serious doubt. It IS a big issue.
                Last edited by Boltx; 03-25-2015, 05:02 PM.
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

3 fist round pics! Maybe the Browns give us this years 2 1st rounders an next years first rounder for Rivers! Then Marty Schottenhiemer will unretire next year and return to coach Rivers adding by trade Ryan Mathews from Philly.

You know what's next, Ryan fumbles away the win in a Superbowl and Marty curse continues!

Will any team trade 3 first round draft picks for Rivers? Anyone? No? OK case closed.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

O
                    Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    3 fist round pics! Maybe the Browns give us this years 2 1st rounders an next years first rounder for Rivers! Then Marty Schottenhiemer will unretire next year and return to coach Rivers adding by trade Ryan Mathews from Philly.

You know what's next, Ryan fumbles away the win in a Superbowl and Marty curse continues!

Will any team trade 3 first round draft picks for Rivers? Anyone? No? OK case closed.
                    Okay how about we trade rivers for Tennessee's first round pick this year and first round pick next year and second round pick this year?

Then we trade the second pic to the Eagles (mariota) for their first round pick this year first round pick next year second round pick this year and Sam Bradford
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                      I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out. Apparently infinity.

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

We have a QB + 3 first rounders and 2 Second rounders next year

And we draft:

1a.. Fowler
                        1b...Gordon

2a...Armtead

2b..green beckham

2c...Matias
                        Last edited by bonehead; 03-25-2015, 06:45 PM.
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                          It seems clear that rivers will not be signing an extension before the start of this season.

So if this team goes 9-7 and misses the playoffs, do you think he will want to re-sign here? I pose that as a serious question, regardless of the LA thing.

Guess we could.franchise him, but is that the kind of relationship we want with our franchise QB? Essentially holding him hostage when its clear he doesnt want to be here. And how much cap space would it take to franchise him? Would that further hurt our ability to add more players? Its just not an environment conducive to winning. Hell, I could see him just retiring if his body takes another year of pounding like the last.

I agree that the trade rumors are a bit bogus, but you can't say that 2016 and beyond arent in serious doubt. It IS a big issue.
                          2016 is a long way away and there are many things that will impact this situation that will need to play out.

There are open questions for down the road but none are worthy of 200 post threads of conjecture IMO.

All things being equal, Rivers wants to stay and win here. What that means is that the Chargers largely control their destiny with Rivers. So the real question is how seriously the club feels about retaining him. It would be Bill Johnston-quality PR to proclaim your intention to have 17 retire as a Charger when your intent is to replace him with someone younger.

To me, this mirrors the LA stadium partnership. It's a contrivance to serve short term goals related to the perceptions of others that are external to the team.

Comment

Working...
                          X