Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

If our opponents’ strategy is to exploit our run D, they will likely use more heavier sets/power formations. This forces us to use base packages (ie 2 ILBs) more often.
    Only if the bigger players they bring on the field to block our little guys can move and block in space well, which is often not the case. Plenty of teams can play good to great run D, even in their nickel and dime package. Under the old coaching staff, our run D was better in the dime package than it was when the LB were on the field. We stopped the best run offense in recent NFL history with 7 DB on the field all but 1 play.

Another example of a team that played great run D from passing D was the Rams last year, under Staley.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Only if the bigger players they bring on the field to block our little guys can move and block in space well, which is often not the case. Plenty of teams can play good to great run D, even in their nickel and dime package. Under the old coaching staff, our run D was better in the dime package than it was when the LB were on the field. We stopped the best run offense in recent NFL history with 7 DB on the field all but 1 play.

Another example of a team that played great run D from passing D was the Rams last year, under Staley.
      Tranq wore the green dot today, so I’m assuming Staley’s planning on using 2 ILBs on the field more often than not. Ninja says our nickel D will have 2 DL, 2 edge, 2 ILBs, and 5 DBs.

Wonder if that means Tranq’s staying on instead of K9 in dime packages.

Bottom line is that Staley likes our ILB talent enough to keep 2 on the field. I may be wrong about this, but didn’t he mostly use 3 DL, 1 ILB and an extra safety when the Rams played nickel and dime?
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Tranq wore the green dot today, so I’m assuming Staley’s planning on using 2 ILBs on the field more often than not. Ninja says our nickel D will have 2 DL, 2 edge, 2 ILBs, and 5 DBs.

Wonder if that means Tranq’s staying on instead of K9 in dime packages.

Bottom line is that Staley likes our ILB talent enough to keep 2 on the field. I may be wrong about this, but didn’t he mostly use 3 DL, 1 ILB and an extra safety when the Rams played nickel and dime?
        It makes sense to have our best personnel on the field.

Rotation of DL and EDGE players to keep them fresh as offenses run so much 3WR packages.
        2 - S2S - ILB / Kyzir gets looks on passing downs for his underneath zones skills.
        5 best in our limited depth DB group. Give depth guys small sample size looks.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

This whole thing with the dot...wonder if they are just giving Tranquil reps as an understudy...figured thats James role come opening day?

I figure K9 wont come off much...maybe flex him down into a pass rush role or blitzer from time to time on passing down.....depending on whether Tranquil is actually gonna be the man, I see him and White rotating with each other on passing downs, depending on the matchups.
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            This whole thing with the dot...wonder if they are just giving Tranquil reps as an understudy...figured thats James role come opening day?

I figure K9 wont come off much...maybe flex him down into a pass rush role or blitzer from time to time on passing down.....depending on whether Tranquil is actually gonna be the man, I see him and White rotating with each other on passing downs, depending on the matchups.
            Yeah, it’s interesting. I thought they’d for sure give the dot to Derwin. He’s an excellent communicator, and will always be on the field—I hope.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Let Derwin be Derwin, free to attack weaknesses as he sees fit.

And Tranquil is a better pass defender than K9, he'll be on the field more downs.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Yeah, it’s interesting. I thought they’d for sure give the dot to Derwin. He’s an excellent communicator, and will always be on the field—I hope.
                Derwin will line up in too many different spots to be the green dot. You need to always know where to look for that communicator and Derwin will be lining up at about 15 different spots on D from snap to snap. I think that’s the main reason he didn’t get it.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Derwin will line up in too many different spots to be the green dot. You need to always know where to look for that communicator and Derwin will be lining up at about 15 different spots on D from snap to snap. I think that’s the main reason he didn’t get it.
                  Very good point.

Though it’s not what the Rams did, I think we should expect to see a lot of 2 ILB looks in non-base packages. BothTranq & Kyzir are multiple, and that’s what Staley’s all about. Between those 2, I think Tranq is the better player and the better communicator, hence the dot.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Let Derwin be Derwin, free to attack weaknesses as he sees fit.
                    While it will be up to Staley to move him around and get Derwin some mismatches, someone still has to line up at the true S spots. They are the key to making the split secondary work, and even if Derwin is a great option to move around, he is a really good option as a deep S as well.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

As far as Samuels goes, I don' think you want to hand him the starting job yet. Remember how good Derwin was, he didn't take over the starting SS job his rookie year until later in PS. Some of it is making sure that everyone knows the new kid is the clear winner, so you want to give the older guy the chance to win the spot.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Some of it is also WHERE he lines up. It is hard to read the entire formation if an ADJUSTOR has to line up too wide. He simply cannot see the far side of the formation well enough to make adjustments.

I think with a guy like Derwin, he is just too versatile where we may want him lining up wide, and that just makes reading the backfield and far side too hard.

The other part is they may not have decided exactly where everyone fits yet. While I love the idea of moving Derwin around all over the place, the key to the split secondary is the 2 deep S. If another S isn't ready to be a deep S, then Derwin may have to play there this season. Gilman and Webb both have been lined up more in the slot and box near the line. They may have the skills to play deep, but the lack of experience and the fact that they are pretty talented in their box S/CB role makes it hard to see them lining up deep, at least this early.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Popper wrote that both Derwin and Tranq are wearing the green dot, which makes sense. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that only one player from either side of the ball was allowed to wear it.

Comment

Working...
                          X