• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    He has all the signs of being a great CB. But looking at the pictures of him, Palmer and Slater, he looks smaller than I thought. Unless Palmer is huge or something.

TG
    He is 5’10”, Palmer is 6’1” and Slater is 6’4” so it looks about right. He can be our own version of honey badger but 1” taller. Small but feisty.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

He has all the signs of being a great CB. But looking at the pictures of him, Palmer and Slater, he looks smaller than I thought. Unless Palmer is huge or something.

TG
      #5 is about 3” taller and 30# heavier than #26
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Seems like the media consensus is that Chris Harris Jr. will be playing on the outside in base packages. It’s a good thing Staley doesn’t use that package too often.

On the other hand, Staley’s never had high quality ILBs, and we have 3 very capable ones, which might prompt more base packages, especially if we struggle in run defense. A real possibility.

That being said, how long will it take for Asante to supplant CHJr as the outside corner (opposite Vato) in base packages??

Honestly, I’d like to see it happen sooner than later.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I worry about Chris Harris’ play. Just saying. Father Time always wins.

With his salary, I have to put him on the surprise cut list.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I largely agree. I think we’re trying to squeeze that last bit of juice this year, especially since CHJr. is so familiar with the defense. A coach on the field if you will.

That being said, I don’t want him playing on the outside at all. He hasn’t played well there for the last 3-4 years when given the opportunity.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I like ASJ.
              As much as Slater or Palmer.
              If not more.
              CHJ, with good health, will be a perfect mentor.
              We can bring Samuel along gradually.
              I still see Asante as a Boundary Corner.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                On the other hand, Staley’s never had high quality ILBs, and we have 3 very capable ones, which might prompt more base packages, especially if we struggle in run defense. A real possibility.
                I'm not sure how you figure that. I would say we have 3 PROMISING ILB, but when I look at the roster, I don't see any that have done anything yet. I'm not against who we have or anything, just saying they haven't accomplished anything yet.

Part of it is it is very difficult for ILB to make impact plays, they are not in a position to make many plays. BUt the guys we have are all average to below average players over their careers so far (except Nieman who has no career so far).

NFL teams play many more DB because LB simply cannot match up against the speed and change of direction that today's WR, TE and RB have. LB cannot run with them. They may have the straightline speed, but that only helps when they are dropping against go routes. LB lose too much speed in transition and cannot cut fast enough.

IF we struggle in run D, it will likely be that our DL are not very good, which is also a very real possibility. They also have not been asked to 2 gap recently, so that may be a problem as well, if it takes time to develop that skill.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

"...have not been asked to two gap recently."

Why I predict Goldwire makes the team.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm not sure how you figure that. I would say we have 3 PROMISING ILB, but when I look at the roster, I don't see any that have done anything yet. I'm not against who we have or anything, just saying they haven't accomplished anything yet.

Part of it is it is very difficult for ILB to make impact plays, they are not in a position to make many plays. BUt the guys we have are all average to below average players over their careers so far (except Nieman who has no career so far).

NFL teams play many more DB because LB simply cannot match up against the speed and change of direction that today's WR, TE and RB have. LB cannot run with them. They may have the straightline speed, but that only helps when they are dropping against go routes. LB lose too much speed in transition and cannot cut fast enough.

IF we struggle in run D, it will likely be that our DL are not very good, which is also a very real possibility. They also have not been asked to 2 gap recently, so that may be a problem as well, if it takes time to develop that skill.
                    If our opponents’ strategy is to exploit our run D, they will likely use more heavier sets/power formations. This forces us to use base packages (ie 2 ILBs) more often.

I’ll acquiesce to your verbiage in defining our ILB group. They are closer to ‘promising’ than ‘high quality’. But as far as K9 is concerned, Staley will utilize his natural strengths more directly this year—letting him play downhill. I’m guessing that means run blitzing, gap penetration, QB/RB spy, etc.

Tranq’s speed is underrated, and if he can stay healthy, I’m expecting big things. 76 tackles in limited snaps as a rookie is indeed promising. And I think he’s gotta extra chip on his shoulder this year.

Overall, our LBs have the requisite traits and intelligence to thrive in Staley’s scheme, more so (in my opinion) than the ILBs he had to work with last year.

You’re right, they haven’t done much yet. But I do believe our ILBs are more promising than the ILB talent in Staley’s former squad. That’s all.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

They don’t have the DB depth to cut a proven player that knows the NFL game. Jmo as of now - if he’s running like Biden in camp, i guess it could change.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Harris being counted on to communicate and quarterback the secondary. That is pretty important this first year of the new defense. Maybe next year he is gone, but don't see it now.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Harris being counted on to communicate and quarterback the secondary. That is pretty important this first year of the new defense. Maybe next year he is gone, but don't see it now.

TG
                          I think that’ll be necessary until about week 5 or so, when we start really clicking with the new D. After that, I’d like to see Asante supplant CHJ in base packages.

Thankfully, the 2022 draft is stacked with CBs. There’ll be good quality guys thru the 5th round.

Comment

Working...
                          X