• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I think our D is a perfect fit for Samuels combination of skills. And I think he was smart enough to work his ass off so he was ready to take advantage of a chance to play early.

If we stuck him in a press man to man scheme, Samuel would be much less impressive this early on. BUt in our multiple zone scheme, that favors smart guys with quick reactions, ... he is in his element.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
      Almost ridiculous how good he has been this early in his career. CB is one of the hardest positions to play early.
      Growing up talking ball with your dad would have to give ASJ an advanced football IQ coming in. He then gets matched with Staley/Hill and an on field kindred spirit in Derwin.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• AK47
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
        He also has 4 PD's, tied for 5th in the league. And a TFL, and generally solid tackling.

Perfect scheme/player match.
        Not tentative at all. You technically can coach is ability to play at NFL speed which comes along by year 2-3 for really good CBs. Dude already has it.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Great athletic play but I still can't figure out why he just laid there and did not get up and run? He would have had 10-20 yards on that return (at least) and in the context of the game at that point, that yardage was huge! The Ty Long shank was right after his pick and really only reset the field by 45 yards or so (I think). Anyway, amazing play but gotta keep your head in the game as well.
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Maybe just used to the College rules? I was just happy to see a stop.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
              San Diego Native
              • Feb 2019
              • Farmington, NM
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Maybe just used to the College rules? I was just happy to see a stop.
              I agree he was probably thinking college rules.

I distinctly remember Vincent Jackson as a rookie catching a pass on 1 knee without contact then popping up and flipped the ball forward in celebration. The opposing team pounced on the ball for an apparent fumble recovery. Refs ruled it an illegal forward lateral and gave the ball back to SD. (Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.)

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

CB ASANTE SAMUEL JR., LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

PFF overall grade: 71.9

Samuel made more plays on the ball than any other rookie so far. He’s already registered two picks and two pass breakups through three games. Of his 12 targets, he’s allowed eight catches for 103 yards on the year despite facing some talented passing attacks in Dallas and Kansas City.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Growing up talking ball with your dad would have to give ASJ an advanced football IQ coming in. He then gets matched with Staley/Hill and an on field kindred spirit in Derwin.
                  His dad was an absentee father, they rarely talk.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                    The Precious
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

His dad was an absentee father, they rarely talk.
                    Then IMO what he is doing is even more remarkable. He’s a savage out there I love it.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Not sure he grew up with his dad as a regular presence in his life. But he was definitely football-tracked as a kid.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I think our D is a perfect fit for Samuels combination of skills. And I think he was smart enough to work his ass off so he was ready to take advantage of a chance to play early.

If we stuck him in a press man to man scheme, Samuel would be much less impressive this early on. BUt in our multiple zone scheme, that favors smart guys with quick reactions, ... he is in his element.
                        On Samuel, Jr.'s first INT, the ball was thrown to a receiver OTHER than the one Asante was covering.

But this is one of the things he does so well: He keeps his eyes on the QB, and falls off the guy he's covering when he sees the QB choosing a different option. That allows him to be in a lane the QB wasn't anticipating. Many of his INTs at FSU came this way.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                          Great athletic play but I still can't figure out why he just laid there and did not get up and run? He would have had 10-20 yards on that return (at least) and in the context of the game at that point, that yardage was huge! The Ty Long shank was right after his pick and really only reset the field by 45 yards or so (I think). Anyway, amazing play but gotta keep your head in the game as well.
                          I’m pretty sure Staley won’t leave any stone unturned and will correct it moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X