• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

I do not ever remember being more mixed about a coach and this past season. The Chargers navigated thru a ridiculous stretch of injuries, so I need to give Staley credit for that, and despite the injuries to key personnel, the Chargers defense took a step forward. But with that said, I have a tough time believing that it will take Fangio 2 plus years to field an adequate defensive team in Miami.

Watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I am reminded just how good of an offensive coordinator Steichen has become. I can only imagine Herbert’s trajectory if he were still with the Chargers.

I have always been a Khalil Mack fan, but the loss of Nwosu hurts to see also. I am not certain if Nwosu could have been more effective than Mack last season when Bosa went down with little help on the other side, but he would have been much cheaper at a much younger age.

When you have a weapon like Herbert’s big arm, why not have more options to stretch the field? Kellen Moore just might prove to be exactly what’s needed. I certainly hope so. Everything will also look very different if Staley continues to improve as a coach.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
      I do not ever remember being more mixed about a coach and this past season. The Chargers navigated thru a ridiculous stretch of injuries, so I need to give Staley credit for that, and despite the injuries to key personnel, the Chargers defense took a step forward. But with that said, I have a tough time believing that it will take Fangio 2 plus years to field an adequate defensive team in Miami.

Watching the Super Bowl yesterday, I am reminded just how good of an offensive coordinator Steichen has become. I can only imagine Herbert’s trajectory if he were still with the Chargers.

I have always been a Khalil Mack fan, but the loss of Nwosu hurts to see also. I am not certain if Nwosu could have been more effective than Mack last season when Bosa went down with little help on the other side, but he would have been much cheaper at a much younger age.

When you have a weapon like Herbert’s big arm, why not have more options to stretch the field? Kellen Moore just might prove to be exactly what’s needed. I certainly hope so. Everything will also look very different if Staley continues to improve as a coach.
      Staley's improved staff and experience, hopefully healthy personnel will produce one or more playoff wins.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

I’m getting back on the Stay-train. Woo woo … chugga chugga … its our team, he’s my guy (again)

Take me for a ride, Brandon!

train GIF
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

I’ll like Staley more if he replaces the Oline coaches and the RB coach. There is no question they need to be upgraded.

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
            I’ll like Staley more if he replaces the Oline coaches and the RB coach. There is no question they need to be upgraded.
            We need better RB depth than Kelley and Spiller. Those two have to be the worse depth on any team at any posistion. OL does need more work but for the first time years the pieces are there.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

We need better RB depth than Kelley and Spiller. Those two have to be the worse depth on any team at any posistion. OL does need more work but for the first time years the pieces are there.
              I actually like Kelley as a backup and don't think we know what we have in Spiller yet but we absolutely need an upgrade over Rountree.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

This vid highlights another reason why it's better for Herbert to have an offensive head coach. If Moore is successful as Herbert's OC, he will get hired away as a HC in a few seasons, like Shane Steichen to the Colts.

In five seasons as a starter, Patrick Mahomes has three SB appearances and two SB wins. Mahomes has had only one offensive system his entire career. That's because Andy Reid is really the OC, and the offensive system is his.

Teams with defensive coaches as a head coach are relegating their QBs to failure if the OC they hire is not good, or to constant turnover if your OC is good. Successful OCs will get hired away and you will have turnover every few seasons, and that is not going to be good for your QB.

A stark example is Josh Allen. Buff's head coach is a defensive guy like Staley. When Allen lost his OC, Brian Daboll, he regressed. IMO, that is why Reid/Mahomes are celebrating their second SB victory and the Bills made an early post-season exit. Joe Burrow has had the same offensive system/OC for three seasons, and looked what he's accomplished. Herbert in his 4th season is going to have his third OC/offensive system.

Staley's total lack of experience in NFL offenses is a huge liability he brings to the table as a HC. I wish the Spanoses would've just bitten the bullet and let him go after this season and hired Steichen as HC. But that ship has already sailed. If Moore and Herbert light up the league the next two seasons and Moore becomes a HC candidate, I hope the Spanoses jettison Staley and hire Moore.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

I thought our run blocking - play calling sucked. Ekeler is one of the NFL's best. Kelley is a decent #2. Spiller is a maybe.
                  When EK's ypc sucks, he's hurt ,not getting blocking or the play was too damn obvious..
                  Moore is a step in the right direction. He may be able to work with what we have, may want a change in staff. I'm OK either way.
                  He used a lot more variations in Dal. Alignment, motion, deception. It will be different.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    This vid highlights another reason why it's better for Herbert to have an offensive head coach. If Moore is successful as Herbert's OC, he will get hired away as a HC in a few seasons, like Shane Steichen to the Colts.

In five seasons as a starter, Patrick Mahomes has three SB appearances and two SB wins. Mahomes has had only one offensive system his entire career. That's because Andy Reid is really the OC, and the offensive system is his.

Teams with defensive coaches as a head coach are relegating their QBs to failure if the OC they hire is not good, or to constant turnover if your OC is good. Successful OCs will get hired away and you will have turnover every few seasons, and that is not going to be good for your QB.

A stark example is Josh Allen. Buff's head coach is a defensive guy like Staley. When Allen lost his OC, Brian Daboll, he regressed. IMO, that is why Reid/Mahomes are celebrating their second SB victory and the Bills made an early post-season exit. Joe Burrow has had the same offensive system/OC for three seasons, and looked what he's accomplished. Herbert in his 4th season is going to have his third OC/offensive system.

Staley's total lack of experience in NFL offenses is a huge liability he brings to the table as a HC. I wish the Spanoses would've just bitten the bullet and let him go after this season and hired Steichen as HC. But that ship has already sailed. If Moore and Herbert light up the league the next two seasons and Moore becomes a HC candidate, I hope the Spanoses jettison Staley and hire Moore.

The most obvious counter is former DC Belichick / Tom Brady. who had a pretty good run.
                    It's about the individuals involved. Clearly Staley is not BB. That doesn't mean we can't win with him. Let's play 2023. I need to see that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I actually like Kelley as a backup and don't think we know what we have in Spiller yet but we absolutely need an upgrade over Rountree.
                      Agree though Kelly isn't anything special. Spiller should get a real shot to supplant him and he has the skills.
                      I don't see us resigning Kelly after this season unless he has some huge breakout which means Ek is injured.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Yes I dont have tons of faith in Staley and his defence which is why I want our high draft picks used on offence. The best thing by a mile this team has going is Justin Herbert. Get him all the weapons you can so he can score 35 points a game to hang with Mahomes and the Chiefs. Its the only way.

Could care less if Staley wants to use the first round for another CB for his defence. Does it really make a big difference the way Herbert could make a difference with the right OC and weapons?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          I’m getting back on the Stay-train. Woo woo … chugga chugga … its our team, he’s my guy (again)

Take me for a ride, Brandon!

train GIF
                          Ja Ja!

I'm also all in on Coach Staley.
                          He just needs a few more inches of experience and a stronger grip on things.

Comment

Working...
                          X