• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I happen to agree with Ryan: you cannot win games, but you can lose games doing stupid things like going for it on your own 18 yard line.
    He also said the Chargers were a way more talented football team than Oakland; Unlike us, he's an objective observer.

Here's another quote i liked from the other board:
    "I'm not ready to give up on the guy, but Staley's got to look in the mirror. He single-handedly submarined one of the guttiest QB performances of all time last night. Herbert is a nice guy but will eventually tire of "stupid" from his own coach being his biggest hurdle."

Herbert had an all time great game and they still lose to a not very good football team. Let that sink in.
    It goes so much beyond the ill advised 4rth down, or the ill advised time out: again, the team was not prepared to play and came out flat; again, the coaching staff failed to make adjustments at halftime and they lost the 3rd quarter.

How many 3rd quarters did they win this year?
    The issues are the defense and how his guys show up for games like the Texans and the Raiders game. I think there’s a lot to like from Staley’s first year. But given that we had all our main defensive starters back together for the first time since week 1, I expected much better.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yes, definitely. I loved listening to the guy during his initial pressers but that wore off when he couldn't get it done on the field. We were 8-5 battling for the #1 seed and went 1-3 to close the season. That's when he should have been at his best with a healthy squad. Instead he committed coaching malpractice against the Chiefs and Raiders. Texans was an all around abortion. .
      What I will say about Staley is get him the right players and I'll take him as my HC, if he doesn't have players on the same page with him he gets outcoached because he is REEECCKKKKLLLEESSS.....

If we ever are going to change the history of the Chargers it may take this sort of HC to do it with a sledgehammer... What is a fact is he got outcoached by the texans HC and the Raiders HC. Also the Raiders were the tougher team in that game and that is a huge point to why we lost.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

What I will say about Staley is get him the right players and I'll take him as my HC, if he doesn't have players on the same page with him he gets outcoached because he is REEECCKKKKLLLEESSS.....

If we ever are going to change the history of the Chargers it may take this sort of HC to do it with a sledgehammer... What is a fact is he got outcoached by the texans HC and the Raiders HC. Also the Raiders were the tougher team in that game and that is a huge point to why we lost.
        I disagree about him being reckless. Reckless implies that he does it without reason ie. doing those 4th downs with Chase Daniels as your QB instead of Herbert. There’s a logical reason for a lot of his aggressiveness that I like.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
          Fire Staley - Hire Brian Flores
          OR
          Demote Staely to DC - Hire Mike Zimmer.
          OR Keep Staley as HC - Hire Fangio/Zimmer, Flores.
          Just dreamin
          That's a good idea......why?
          ​​​​​​
          There is no way Staley gets fired after his 1st winning season.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            Staley’s star has faded a bit in my book, I blame him for the KC loss and the not properly preparing the team to face the Texans. He showed on several occasions that he’s not experienced enough to be an NFL coach yet. On the other hand he also showed a ton of potential. If he can learn to stop doing stupid shit like going for it deep on his own side of the field in situations where it wasn’t warranted then there is hope for the future. He also mismanaged the clock several times this season which was a bit disconcerting but then on several other occassions he made solid decisions with time outs, challenges, and time management. He’s very much a work in progress. It would do him a bit of good to take more blame after games instead of saying the team didn’t execute every damn time. It’s almost like he’s afraid to lose face with his team so he blames them for everything, LOL. Marty was not the greatest coach from Xs and Os POV but he was a master manipulator he took blame even when his players screwed up and the players responded by playing even harder for him the following week. Staley could learn a thing or two from watching old Marty post game press conferences. I still like the kid but he’s not the genius everyone has made him out to be and he still has a lot to learn. His best coaching is still off in the future some where. Hopefully that future arrives sooner rather than later.
            I appreciate his breakdown of what happened after every game. I don’t think it’s avoiding blame. The reality is that people will get tired if there’s losses regardless of what a HC has to say. I’m also more optimistic about Staley because he seems light years better than not only our previous HCs, but also a lot of other HCs in the NFL, at situational awareness. He’s not perfect but given that he was only a first year guy, it’s nice to see that in someone like him versus someone like a Mike McCarthy.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The issues are the defense and how his guys show up for games like the Texans and the Raiders game. I think there’s a lot to like from Staley’s first year. But given that we had all our main defensive starters back together for the first time since week 1, I expected much better.
              I'm blowing off steam, Staley will get better....he needs to get better.

I don't think the young group that he has assembled asks too many questions contrary to the analytics approach.....a lot of consensus went into his decision to go for it on 4rth down from the 18.

Still, some people out there defend it, pulling stats out of their ass claiming a 63.35978219766610000 % win rate out of that move.

Bring in Fangio (or someone) to counter the fantasy stats world they are so fetched with.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I disagree about him being reckless. Reckless implies that he does it without reason ie. doing those 4th downs with Chase Daniels as your QB instead of Herbert. There’s a logical reason for a lot of his aggressiveness that I like.
                Most of those 4rth downs where they went for it they had zero choice (lose or go for it); only the 3rd quarter choice was ill advised - i think reckless is an apt description.
                A less flattering description would be sheer panic because he had no faith in his defense.

Calculated, in the sense that some idiot somewhere in the Charges analytics department informed him that those situations warrant it, because they have a 0.120001 % increased chance of
                winning if they decide to go for it there: maybe.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

What has me most concerned about Staley is the systemic issues we saw all season long that did not seem to be addressed or improved. To me, the decisions to go for it on fourth down, calling time outs, kick or go for 2, those are all examples of real-time decisions and sometimes the wrong choice is made. We all do it in our lives, some of us more than others. Those Staley will learn from, I believe.

However, it's the systemic shit that leads to real trouble and to me there is no better example of that than all of the penalties this team incurs. Penalties are a product of coaching and culture. Pure and simple (as are the poor tackling, bad angles, guys out of place, unpreparedness, etc.) and while I am willing to give him a year to fix that, Staley really needs to look into how he runs his day to day and figure some shit out.

Are we any better than last-year's 9-7 team? I think that Lynn team would have a shot against this team and probably beat them. That team got better as the year went on, this team went the other way.
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Which heads in the Charger's analytics department will have to roll?

A new suggestion for a Topcat poll.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm blowing off steam, Staley will get better....he needs to get better.

I don't think the young group that he has assembled asks too many questions contrary to the analytics approach.....a lot of consensus went into his decision to go for it on 4rth down from the 18.

Still, some people out there defend it, pulling stats out of their ass claiming a 63.35978219766610000 % win rate out of that move.

Bring in Fangio (or someone) to counter the fantasy stats world they are so fetched with.
                      I get it. I want to blow steam also. I was a big analytics proponent especially during Lynn’s last season. So it would be wrong for me to just go against it now. I would say if you were going to do it in that situation, then leave it in Herbert’s hands instead. Though I think the right choice would have been to just punt. It’s not Staley hasn’t gone against his own numbers. The Broncos game was a good example.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                        Are we any better than last-year's 9-7 team? I think that Lynn team would have a shot against this team and probably beat them. That team got better as the year went on, this team went the other way.
                        I don't because Lynn would play not to lose, mismanage the game clock and make no adjustments to stop anything. Staley simply playing to win would be the difference.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                          What has me most concerned about Staley is the systemic issues we saw all season long that did not seem to be addressed or improved. To me, the decisions to go for it on fourth down, calling time outs, kick or go for 2, those are all examples of real-time decisions and sometimes the wrong choice is made. We all do it in our lives, some of us more than others. Those Staley will learn from, I believe.

However, it's the systemic shit that leads to real trouble and to me there is no better example of that than all of the penalties this team incurs. Penalties are a product of coaching and culture. Pure and simple (as are the poor tackling, bad angles, guys out of place, unpreparedness, etc.) and while I am willing to give him a year to fix that, Staley really needs to look into how he runs his day to day and figure some shit out.

Lynn was 7-9 last season and the year end run was completely different than this year.

But agree about the little things like penalties and tackling.

Comment

Working...
                          X