• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    I wanted Perkins at 77 and Melifonwu at 97 at the time of the draft picks but I can believe Perkins was off our board completely.
    I wasn’t that spot on but yeah thought 3rd would be dedicated to defense.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      Be your own judge, to me, Rumph is a project with traits you hope to develop. For what it’s worth, Lance Zierlein loves Chris Rumph and see’s him fitting joker role. Everybody can think whatever they want this point, all our needs but needs change based off what your competition does and you have to adjust, that’s all I’m saying. That and want starter sooner than later to address edge pass rusher. Think someone will get signed prior to season opener.
      The coaching staff and FO obviously feel that Nwosu is the starter opposite Bosa.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The coaching staff and FO obviously feel that Nwosu is the starter opposite Bosa.
        I realize that but you still need competition and quality depth. Don’t remember, how many games did Bosa and Nwosu play together?

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I realize that but you still need competition and quality depth. Don’t remember, how many games did Bosa and Nwosu play together?
          That’s why we got Fackrell and Rumph as depth. And if something happens to the starters, then that’s why we have emergency cap of $10 million on hand.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Nwosu has this year to prove he can be an impact player in a starting role. If he is, we extend him. If not, the ‘22 draft is loaded with edge talent.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

I’m unable to follow the Chargers as much as I want to and certainly not as much as most here, my question was a fairly simple one, how much have Bosa and Nwasu played together? I know that Bosa has yet to play with Derwin James so it’s a legitimate concern, would have liked more emphasis placed on acquiring edge playmaker in offseason.

2020 Chargers traded up to first round, draft Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray, Ronnie Perkins was the edge to that two headed Sooner duo, both extremely physical players don’t think character would have been any issue with friendly face, it sure would have been a great fit and value in 3rd. Next years edge class should be naturally better just based off the outstanding OL class that came out this year.

The whole best player available is something different to every war room once you get past the true blue chips. Seems like a whole basket of traits as they apply to need. Rounds one Slater, and two Samuel were universally accepted as examples of hitting bullseye. Rest is open to interpretation.
              Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 05-12-2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I’m unable to follow the Chargers as much as I want to and certainly not as much as most here, my question was a fairly simple one, how much have Bosa and Nwasu played together? I know that Bosa has yet to play with Derwin James so it’s a legitimate concern, would have liked more emphasis placed on acquiring edge playmaker in offseason.

2020 Chargers traded up to first round, draft Oklahoma LB Kenneth Murray, Ronnie Perkins was the edge to that two headed Sooner duo, both extremely physical players don’t think character would have been any issue with friendly face, it sure would have been a great fit and value in 3rd. Next years edge class should be naturally better just based off the outstanding OL class that came out this year.

The whole best player available is something different to every war room once you get past the true blue chips. Seems like a whole basket of traits as they apply to need. Rounds one Slater, and two Samuel were universally accepted as examples of hitting bullseye. Rest is open to interpretation.
                Bosa and Derwin have played together, just never a full year or at the beginning. Bosa missed the first 9 games in 2018 but played the last 7 of the regular season with Derwin. It was flipped in 2019. Derwin obviously was out in 2020.

Nwosu took over when Ingram was out last year and the results were mixed. That tells me a couple of things:
                1) They’re optimistic that Nwosu will do better in the new scheme under Staley compared to any FA or draft pick.
                2) Or that they were more down on this FA and draft class with regards to edge rushers than this forum thinks. It seems this was the case with safety as well.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Bosa and Derwin have played together, just never a full year or at the beginning. Bosa missed the first 9 games in 2018 but played the last 7 of the regular season with Derwin. It was flipped in 2019. Derwin obviously was out in 2020.

Nwosu took over when Ingram was out last year and the results were mixed. That tells me a couple of things:
                  1) They’re optimistic that Nwosu will do better in the new scheme under Staley compared to any FA or draft pick.
                  2) Or that they were more down on this FA and draft class with regards to edge rushers than this forum thinks. It seems this was the case with safety as well.
                  Bradley didn't unleash Nwosu to blitz as much as I would have liked, for one thing...and that's where Nwosu does a lot of his best work...

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Bradley didn't unleash Nwosu to blitz as much as I would have liked, for one thing...and that's where Nwosu does a lot of his best work...
                    Bradley doesn’t blitz in general. It’s why I think Ingram would have had better stats under someone like Bowles than us.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

This offseason was all about JH10 with the acquisitions of 3 FA IOL, Slater, Jaimes, and 2 new weapons.
                      The core of this offensive unit will be together for the next 3-5 years with more additions each year. We should be a very deep offensive team in 2022/2023.
                      Our D has a couple of STAR players that need to be healthy because their production is elite when on the field.
                      We have several young ascending dudes that need to continue their upward trajectory.
                      There are several guys that have been injured and/or at the end of their current contracts. These dudes need to show UP/out, produce, and earn a new contract or be replaced moving forward.

Staley has made a commitment to building a culture and play style of the changing modern game of football. When he proves his football genius, he’ll be able enhance the reputation of a budding juggernaut and bring out the best in our roster.

We have a nice CAP situation over the next 3/4 years to retain our own and be active in FA as needed.
                      We have 11 draft picks in 2022 and all future picks.
                      TT/staff put us in strong negotiation position for next offseason with pending FA.
                      The biggest other future factors are that we have JH10, location/facilities/climate/media market to attract FA, young/brilliant/hungry coaching staff that understands these young athletes, and hopefully an ownership that just stays out of the way.
                      Last edited by like54ninjas; 05-13-2021, 02:03 PM.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

This offseason was all about JH10 with the acquisitions of 3 FA IOL, Slater, Jaimes, and 2 new weapons.
                        The core of this offensive unit will be together for the next 3-5 years with more additions each year. We should be a very deep offensive team in 2022/2023.
                        Our D has a couple of STAR players that need to be healthy because their production is elite when on the field.
                        We have a several young ascending dudes that need to continue their upward trajectory.
                        There are several guys that have been injured and/or at the end of their current contracts. These dudes need to show UP/out, produce, and earn a new contract or be replaced moving forward.

Stakey has made a commitment to building a culture and play style of the changing modern game of football. When he proves his football genius, he’ll be able enhance the reputation of a budding juggernaut and bring out the best in our roster.

We have a nice CAP situation over the next 3/4 years to retain our own and be active in FA as needed.
                        We have 11 draft picks in 2022 and all future picks.
                        TT/staff put us in strong negotiation position for next offseason with pending FA.
                        The biggest other future factors are that we have JH10, location/facilities/climate/media market to attract FA, young/brilliant/hungry coaching staff that understands these young athletes, and hopefully an ownership that just stays out of the way.
                        Robert Redford Yes GIF

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Bradley doesn’t blitz in general. It’s why I think Ingram would have had better stats under someone like Bowles than us.
                          Not true. Here are instances where Gus Bradley brought blitzes during the 2020 season. Go to the parts in the video for each part listed of each game.

Chargers vs Bengals week 1

2:49
                          9:35
                          10:42

Chiefs vs Chargers week 2

5:11
                          12:08

Panthers vs Chargers week 3

4:29
                          10:56

Chargers vs Buccaneers week 4

2:12
                          4:58
                          5:56
                          8:41

Chargers vs Saints week 5

0:23
                          2:14
                          7:20
                          7:34
                          9:05
                          12:05
                          14:41

Jaguars vs Chargers week 7

3:03
                          5:12
                          5:33
                          11:23

Chargers vs Broncos week 8

11:34

Raiders vs Chargers week 9

3:34
                          10:36

Chargers vs Dolphins week 10

2:22
                          4:57

Jets vs Chargers week 11

4:13
                          4:36
                          7:18
                          7:28
                          10:00

Chargers vs Bills week 12

2:01
                          3:29
                          9:45

Patriots vs Chargers week 13

0:47
                          5:07
                          7:51
                          9:53

Falcons vs Chargers week 14

4:02
                          8:04

Chargers vs Raiders week 15

4:54

Broncos vs Chargers week 16

2:25

Chargers vs Chiefs week 17

0:18

The secondary was another weakness with the defense along with poor depth in pass rush on the DL. When you blitz, you need the guys who can cover in the secondary and handle the receivers one-on-one. A lot of people agreed Casey Hayward was getting worse. The roster isn't/wasn't as good as some fans thought. That's why the defense had its struggles. And it's why Staley replaced the guys who left. Even after the draft, there's still more that needs to be done to improve the defense. There's still things that need to be played out.

Comment

Working...
                          X