• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Getting back to Covington as a player, he is a stout run defender type. Has some quickness, but only has decent power moves. He can flash some quickness to beat people, but not enough to make a living on it. He also tends to do better lining up further outside. To me that says he needs to see the plays develop a bit more to react to them. He also tends to wear down the more he plays, because he is kinda small as a 2 gap player. His best seasons were as a 2 gap player for Houston, playing a limited number of snaps.

He adds depth as a 2 gap DE in an odd front, and can line up at DT in the rush line. He has been a rotation guy in the past and I think that is what we want him for.

Comment

• RobH
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Tokyo, Japan
      • University English Lecturer
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      To me, Covington and Square are about equal. Covington is a smaller DT and not a run stuffer. He is quick and penetrating. But there is a reason he has bounced around so many teams. He will be an ok back up to spell the starters and key reserves, just like Square was. But you don't want to count on him as a starter. Every team has a Square type DL and they play a role. Not sure why he seems to garner so much negativity? He was a cheap reserve who played more than he should have due to injuries. I don't hold that against him.

TG
      According to the information at nfl.com, Square is 6’2” and 293 lbs. His arms are 32 1/8”. Covington is 6’2” 305lbs with 33 1/4” arms.

I agree they’re pretty close, but it seems that Covington is the larger player. He also seems to be the stronger player but I have no evidence to support that claim.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The actual size doesn't matter as much as their individual makeup. Square was never a very stout player. He made up for it by being better at reading plays, although he often wasn't good enough to do much about it.

Covington is kinda physical and has more quickness, but most of the time he can't read and get off the block in time to make the play. But line him up a little wider so he can see things develop a bit, he can make some things happen before he wears down. He is just not the kind of guy who is very good if he has to play a lot of snaps. That is probably because he is somewhat undersized as a 2 gap player. Some smaller players are good 2 gap players because of technique and quickness, but they aren't going to last taking on 320-350 lb OG that long.

I am not sure I wouldn't call Covington a run stuffer. He was certainly not a penetrator or a pass rusher. He was small, but physical and could take on blocks. He just can't play 40+ plays per game and still have anything left. He is not a super powerful guy. But he is better at taking on and keeping the players around him clean than the other DL we have (except for Joseph).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

I already forgot who the fuck this guy even is. Oh yeah, he’s a journeyman depth DL guy, maybe some rotational support. Good luck Christian, welcome to the team.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Negativity on Square? Other Chargers players are or have been given negativity. If the other Chargers players who got blamed for the team's failures are given attention to, then Square should have his too. Every team has a player like Square? Not the more successful teams.

Covington isn't that old. That's one good thing about his acquisition.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

I'm revisiting this thread. There were people who wondered how this acquisition was an upgrade over Square. Covington is hella better than Square. Covington is coming around in this defense of Staley and Hill.

As for the ex-Charger, he isn't doing jack squat right now.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

He has been a good rotational addition for sure as I think the tree trunk Merrill has been too. Cant afford all Bosas on the line but the use of these guys to keep them fresh and wearing out their OL is really important.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Very, very happy with Covington. Playing way better than I expected and seems a great fit for this defense. Another great pickup by the oft maligned Telesco.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                  X