• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I like it. Experienced and we need a 3-4 DE. Solid pickup as a backup.
    Staley's gonna implement switch hitter 3-4 to 4-3 defense on the fly. Just need more depth guys with experience in both.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Don't you mean 3-3?

Comment

• DragonIce
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2021
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I’m sold.
        he’ll have his best year(s) yet with us with better coaching.
        value
        I'm not going to get attached or expect much. The Chargers sure aren't. It was a cheap 1-year contract. If he can play assignment football if and when called on...it's a modest win. There's not much more to see here.

For the record: I don't believe Houston "ruined" or "mis-used" him (though they are run by idiots). He was appropriately drafted in the 6th round, and did well to survive cuts and produce a bit. Borderline player or as some say... a JAG.

But kudos to him: he's making more $ than me! He puts on the right helmet...I'm rooting for him!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree with respect to PFF's exact numbers, but they are generally in the same zip code when it comes to the quality of the player involved. They had Square about 13 points better, which I think suggests that Square is the better overall player.

Now, I can easily see Covington being better versus the run or at collapsing the pocket, which may be a greater need for our team, but not a better DL player overall.

Overall, though, the point I was making was that Covington is a back end of the roster reserve player and nothing to get too excited about.

He is not a bad signing, just nothing special.
          According to the 2020 seasons stats on PFF, Covington has 21 solo tackles to Square's 10, and 14 assists to Square's 9. That doesn't look like Square is a better overall player.

The only thing Square has on Convington is his versatility. Playing on the edge like Tillery and Rochell (who used to be a DT) were used. But interior players being used like that causes hinderances on a roster. The way the DL was constructed under Lynn and Bradley was a mess. This is why the DL had trouble under them. The team got away with it because they had James, Philon, Liuget, and other players who made good contributions to the defense to cover up that weakness.

I never thought Square was anything special. He contributed to 4 seasons of the team being below 8-8, along with a couple of mediocre seasons. His small size killed the team so many times in games, especially in crucial situations.

Convington isn't that old. He brings more to the table.

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          How is this an upgrade from Damion Square?
          Christian Convington can win his one-on-ones and get penetration against o-linemen. Better at defending the run and provides a pass rush. Then there's the fact that he contributed to more playoff appearances.

Anything is better than Damion Square. Even an old Philip Rivers.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

I like the kid from the stats and vids I have seen. A bit of experience for camp. Line em up and let em play with our coach watching.\ and teaching. Big bonus!!!!!

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                How is this an upgrade from Damion Square?
                The way I look at it is this - Square is not getting better, probably only will continue to regress.
                Thats not saying Covington will be better. But more likely that Square is where he is at with his career. And a nice solid career too

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

To me, Covington and Square are about equal. Covington is a smaller DT and not a run stuffer. He is quick and penetrating. But there is a reason he has bounced around so many teams. He will be an ok back up to spell the starters and key reserves, just like Square was. But you don't want to count on him as a starter. Every team has a Square type DL and they play a role. Not sure why he seems to garner so much negativity? He was a cheap reserve who played more than he should have due to injuries. I don't hold that against him.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Biggestfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    To me, Covington and Square are about equal. Covington is a smaller DT and not a run stuffer. He is quick and penetrating. But there is a reason he has bounced around so many teams. He will be an ok back up to spell the starters and key reserves, just like Square was. But you don't want to count on him as a starter. Every team has a Square type DL and they play a role. Not sure why he seems to garner so much negativity? He was a cheap reserve who played more than he should have due to injuries. I don't hold that against him.

TG
                    Hes quick and penentrating yet didn't record one sack last year. Unsure of this signing. He seems like a Square 2. Not sure why we didn't sign a big body that clogs up the middle.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

He’s a rotational piece with experience. And probably cheap. What’s not to like? Throw him in there to give our starters a break and keep them fresh for the end of the game.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                        My reason, is a personal one, the teams who he was drafted and signed to, all sucked. Doesn’t matter how good a worker, or work ethic, high intelligence/character you are, inevitably will succumb to lower sum of environment. Cannot emphasis this enough, Staley has put together a truly dynamic and well fit coaching ensemble, all players should benefit with exception of a few, there always are, that don't fit the model already here.
                        Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 05-11-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

According to the 2020 seasons stats on PFF, Covington has 21 solo tackles to Square's 10, and 14 assists to Square's 9. That doesn't look like Square is a better overall player.

The only thing Square has on Convington is his versatility. Playing on the edge like Tillery and Rochell (who used to be a DT) were used. But interior players being used like that causes hinderances on a roster. The way the DL was constructed under Lynn and Bradley was a mess. This is why the DL had trouble under them. The team got away with it because they had James, Philon, Liuget, and other players who made good contributions to the defense to cover up that weakness.

I never thought Square was anything special. He contributed to 4 seasons of the team being below 8-8, along with a couple of mediocre seasons. His small size killed the team so many times in games, especially in crucial situations.

Convington isn't that old. He brings more to the table.
                          Nobody is saying that Square is good. I am saying that his 2020 PFF number was about 13 points or so higher than Covington's, which suggests that he is the better player overall. I do not buy the notion that PFF's number is an exact measurement of how good or bad any given player is. However, the greater the margin, the greater the error has to be for it to be wrong and 13 points is not a small margin.

Also, I have readily acknowledged that Covington was likely signed with a specific role in mind. I think it is likely that he can hold his ground better and push the pocket better than Square can. That can be true at the same time as it can be true that Square was the better overall player in 2020, which means that Square actually brings more to the table, but may not be as useful for us based upon what Staley intends to do defensively.

In any event, both players are reserve players.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X