POLL: Which Charger Has Their Biggest Make-Or-Break Season Coming Up?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I would think that Tillery is worth at least being a rotational player and it will be interesting to see how staley uses him versus what Gus did. We're not paying him $14 million a year to do nothing. If he plays like crap this season and gets injured I could see them just cutting him outright but for now we get to see what's under the hood . Cutting him before staley gets to try using him does nothing for us and actually will cost us money this season. At least he takes up a blocker and frees someone else up to make a play.

:beer:
    I don't see him as this type of player.....if he is making $14 million to function in this capacity, they might as well cut him now.

He'll rotate in on passing downs quite a bit because they have no one else.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

I would think that Tillery is worth at least being a rotational player and it will be interesting to see how staley uses him versus what Gus did. We're not paying him $14 million a year to do nothing. If he plays like crap this season and gets injured I could see them just cutting him outright but for now we get to see what's under the hood . Cutting him before staley gets to try using him does nothing for us and actually will cost us money this season. At least he takes up a blocker and frees someone else up to make a play.

Jerry has at least 2 years before his first 4-year contract is up. I don’t see him being cut before that. I hope he succeeds this season.

We’re not paying him $14 but about $3.1.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Jerry is on year 3 of his 4-year deal. Agree, if Staley can't get any use out of Too Tall Tillery, then cut him in the offseason before the last year of his contract...UNLESS he's better than, or similar to, any backup they can find...remember that his salary this year is only $1.5 mil and next year it's $2 mil, and he would be at least a capable backup at a team-friendly price, so I guess keep him...it would be a big disappointment though, and proof he's a bust...

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Badgley
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

If Staley can't resurrect Tillery no one can! He'll be out of football in two years unless it's league minimum and he's a rotational player.

I agree. I am not buying this this smartest guy in football or the scheme will revolutionize how the NFL plays D stuff.

... but looking at the Rams, what Staley did last year was impressive.

I don't think their D was any smarter than ours going into last season. They were a good defense under Wade that had some really good talent across the board. THey lost some good guys, .. but after Staley took over, they sure played a lot smarter.

After a couple of weeks, once Staley really got a good idea of what his guys could do, Rams players didn't make the really dumb stuff that drives us crazy that Chargers players are famous for. Very few plays were guys made alignment mistakes or didn't know who to cover. All the gaps were plugged most of the time. Just good all around D, that was well hidden so offenses couldn't get a good read on it pre-snap, but also he didn't confuse his own guys, which happens a lot in the NFL. Everyone tries to hide their tendencies pre-snap, but a lot either hide it so well they don't know, or the guys have to tip their hand because thing that they are hiding is so off the wall, guys have to reshuffle post snap.

Staley gets his guys really ready and they know what to do, and then they do it at a very high level.

Tillery needs to do a better job of just doing his job and knowing how and where he fits in any given play. I think Staley is the perfect guy to help him make the step up. Giff Smith can teach him the techniques, but someone needs to help him see the big picture and that is Staley.

If he doesn't get his stuff together, then Tillery will bounce around for a few years. Every GM loves the idea of a former number 1 DL reclimation project, so he will still get more chances, but at that point, if he can't step up in the next year or so, it will just be a countdown to obscurity.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

$14M a year?
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

$14M a year?
                Tillery's 4-year deal was for $11 mil. His salary this year is $2 mil...

Jerry Tillery contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Tillery's 4-year deal was for $11 mil. His salary this year is $2 mil...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...tillery-29063/
                  I’m guessing now that the post was projecting to a possible 2nd contract for an all pro DT and noting Tillery ain’t hitting that.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Jerry has at least 2 years before his first 4-year contract is up. I don’t see him being cut before that. I hope he succeeds this season.

We’re not paying him $14 but about $3.1.
                    Right. Staley has no reason to cut him. We don't have 4 better DL this year.
                    Many, if not most of us are interested to see what Tillery can do in the 2021 D.
                    I believe HC Staley said he looks forward to what he can do using Tillery.
                    I want to see.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

$14M a year?
                      I meant it as a pun to Supamels salary last year and he only played 7 games. LOL!

:Cheers1:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        Badgley
                        ??? You got to make the team to have a make or break season, if he makes the cut then yeah most definitely put him in the conversation along with Tillery, and Adderly. hey they all rhyme Badgely, Tillery, and Adderly they all need to get their shit together!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

??? You got to make the team to have a make or break season, if he makes the cut then yeah most definitely put him in the conversation along with Tillery, and Adderly. hey they all rhyme Badgely, Tillery, and Adderly they all need to get their shit together!
                          he’s a dead man walking …

Comment

Working...
                          X