POLL: Which Charger Has Their Biggest Make-Or-Break Season Coming Up?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

??? You got to make the team to have a make or break season, if he makes the cut then yeah most definitely put him in the conversation along with Tillery, and Adderly. hey they all rhyme Badgely, Tillery, and Adderly they all need to get their shit together!
    I would cut Adderley more slack than those others, because playing single high in that lame Bradley defense was quite a challenge...especially when Gus rarely dialed up the blitz...asking a lot of a single high FS to cover all that ground for so long, when the QB has just about all day to find an open man...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I would cut Adderley more slack than those others, because playing single high in that lame Bradley defense was quite a challenge...especially when Gus rarely dialed up the blitz...asking a lot of a single high FS to cover all that ground for so long, when the QB has just about all day to find an open man...
      When Adderley went down to injuries in the Falcons game, the secondary stepped up and helped lead the team to a win. I would not give Adderley excuses. His third year, it's time for him to prove that he was worthy being a second round pick.

Gus didn't blitz as much as other DCs do. He was reluctant to do it more. You have to question the reasons why. You need corners who can keep the receivers they're defending in check. Our cornerback play was awful at times in 2020. But this gets overlooked by some people. Hell, old and washed up Flacco was ripping the secondary apart in the Jets game. No amount of scheming was going to help that the talent was weak in certain areas. Every scheme has its weakness. Staley's scheme has its weakness. Bradley wasn't the only one to blame for the defensive failures. His assistances were too, and some of them followed him to the Raiders. Lynn should be blamed too. He's the one who approves of and has the final say on the roster and who plays. Loyal Lynn constructed the mess to that lower tier defense. You can blame the scheme all you want, but it's about talent at the end of the day. I did a thread a long time ago saying how overrated the talent on this team was. I did not change my stance. This team's talent for the last two years has been highly overrated. Staley seems to have improved the roster. I'm feeling better about the talent that Staley and his staff has assembled.

Comment

• boldarblood
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
        Gus didn't blitz as much as other DCs do. He was reluctant to do it more. You have to question the reasons why.

For the past 3 seasons we were dead last in the league in Blitz percentage. My guess is that it goes further back, but was unable to find the league numbers. He never put Adderly in any position of success, he was just a pathetic DC.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

When Adderley went down to injuries in the Falcons game, the secondary stepped up and helped lead the team to a win. I would not give Adderley excuses. His third year, it's time for him to prove that he was worthy being a second round pick.

Gus didn't blitz as much as other DCs do. He was reluctant to do it more. You have to question the reasons why. You need corners who can keep the receivers they're defending in check. Our cornerback play was awful at times in 2020. But this gets overlooked by some people. Hell, old and washed up Flacco was ripping the secondary apart in the Jets game. No amount of scheming was going to help that the talent was weak in certain areas. Every scheme has its weakness. Staley's scheme has its weakness. Bradley wasn't the only one to blame for the defensive failures. His assistances were too, and some of them followed him to the Raiders. Lynn should be blamed too. He's the one who approves of and has the final say on the roster and who plays. Loyal Lynn constructed the mess to that lower tier defense. You can blame the scheme all you want, but it's about talent at the end of the day. I did a thread a long time ago saying how overrated the talent on this team was. I did not change my stance. This team's talent for the last two years has been highly overrated. Staley seems to have improved the roster. I'm feeling better about the talent that Staley and his staff has assembled.
          I would say our defensive lapses were a COMBINATION of lame Bradley schemes and poor talent and/or reserves playing due to injury to starters...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post

For the past 3 seasons we were dead last in the league in Blitz percentage. My guess is that it goes further back, but was unable to find the league numbers. He never put Adderly in any position of success, he was just a pathetic DC.
            Adderley didn’t have a chance yet imo too. I think we’re going to see him show up big this year.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

film study saw Adderly struggle at times

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

No one disagrees with this.
                What others are saying is that there is room for optimism with Adderly because Bradley had a poor track record of matching the strengths of young players with his schemes.

Aside from Rayshawn Jenkins, every defensive player brought in under Bradley to some degree failed to meet expectations or demonstrate appreciable improvement beyond their rookie season.

When Bradley had sound corners, he still didn't blitz...that's his philosophy.
                I was not quivering in my boots when the Raiders hired him this offseason.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

No one disagrees with this.
                  What others are saying is that there is room for optimism with Adderly because Bradley had a poor track record of matching the strengths of young players with his schemes.

Aside from Rayshawn Jenkins, every defensive player brought in under Bradley to some degree failed to meet expectations or demonstrate appreciable improvement beyond their rookie season.

When Bradley had sound corners, he still didn't blitz...that's his philosophy.
                  I was not quivering in my boots when the Raiders hired him this offseason.
                  I hope Staley embarrasses the hell out of Bradley just like Belicheck did to the Chargers last season.

:hello:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I hope Staley embarrasses the hell out of Bradley just like Belicheck did to the Chargers last season.

How about embarrassing Bill himself for once!
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Gus doesn't need any help from Staley to embarrass himself...Bradley is completely capable of Committment to Picket Fence Excellence on his own...

Comment

• Flanker7
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2021
                        • Send PM

James has to avoid another year in the injury reserve. If he won't be available for 12+ games this year, it will be a tough decision for little John and Telesco whether to sign his 5th-year option at the end of the season.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

James is already at his 4th year ?
                          It must be his best.

Comment

Working...
                          X