POLL: The Most OVER-HYPED "Steal" Rookie Who Didn't Do Squat???

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Larry English

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Ghost of Quacksaw;n1217311]Not sure Mouton even played a snap in a regular season game. He was *that* out of place.

By comparison, guys like Buster Davis and Bryan Still looked like All Pros.

Mager was utterly lost, but at least got some playing time.

Tay Cody was another 3rd round pick who barely finished a cup of coffee with the team.[/QUOTE

height............. weight...... arm length hand size .....40.... ....shuttle ......3-cone...vertical.......broad jump
      6 ft 1 in
      (1.85 m)
      239 lb
      (108 kg)
      311⁄2 93⁄4 4.86 s 4.34 s 7.08 s 31.5 in
      (0.80 m)
      9 ft 7 in
      (2.92 m)
      All values from NFL Combine[22]
      New thread on guess the Charger reach!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
        Larry English
        De Acuerdo Agree GIF
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
          Many of the players listed in the poll were not considered to be steals at all at the time of the draft. Pipkins, Stick, Mouton and Hester were/are not good players, but they were considered to be reaches at the time of the draft, the opposite of being characterized as a steal. Most of the rest of the players were drafted about where they were rated. Jackson is a better player than his round 7 draft slot would indicate.

The only players considered to be steals at the time they were drafted on the entire list are King and Hill. King significantly contributed to the team and represented great value for a 5th round player. He actually was a steal. Hill is straight trash so he is the clear choice here. Lamp is not on the list, but would be a good candidate for this as well.
          Okay, Chain, I'll agree that the bolded above would be better classified as reaches, though when you listened to TT and a lot of draftniks at the time, they really did hype these players up, leading us to believe they'd become solid starters, at least Pip, Mouton and Hester...Stick, we all knew was going to be a backup only...Besides King and Hill, I would say most of the other players really did get a lot of hype typically associated with a steal, like Cantrell, Brown, Reed, Jenkins...and Wilhelm was heralded at the time by AJ Smith as being so good "we would forget about Donnie Edwards."

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
            Larry English
            Agree with u on English, though I was trying to focus on mid and late rounders...due to the poor results after being drafted in round 1, English was a true bust...

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

I’ll repeat my post replying to Topcats last post since it was mistakenly deleted, about Larry English.

A classic example of an NFL 1st round pick getting a huge payday check and then deciding…”I’m done.”

A huge amount of money all of a sudden can and does affect certain individuals in ways. Just ask a huge lottery winner.
              Last edited by Caslon; 06-08-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                I’ll repeat my post replying to Topcats last post since it was mistakenly deleted, about Larry English.

A classic example of an NFL 1st round pick getting a huge payday check and then deciding…”I’m done.”

A huge amount of money all of a sudden can and does affect certain individuals in ways. Just ask a huge lottery winner.
                Large but not large enough to enable quitting! I could see this argument in a big second contract.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Ontario , Canada
                  • Send PM

There was a lot of hype for Hester. I think Norv had a big say in that bust. They were hyping him up to be the next Daryl 'Moose' Johnson from Norv's DAL days. AJ traded a #2 (next years) and #5 to get the pick too.

Pipkins maybe next. They seemed enamored w him as a great find/steal from the East West Shrine game and gave him a few starts last year. Now I am reading he may be a swing tackles at best.

Comment

• DragonIce
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2021
                    • Arizona
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                    Most had him as a second round draft candidate.

Not so during draft week.
                    "The Manti Te'o downward spiral is certainly well-known, but it deserves revisiting given recent events. Te'o, once a first-round lock, tumbled after a hoax involving his deceased "girlfriend" was revealed and, later, his uninspiring play against Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game.

Lately, however, Te'o has been a steady climber on draft boards. So much so, in fact, that the majority of pundits have him going in the first round, despite concerns about his speed. Still, four out of the five draft analysts -- NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks, ESPN's Todd McShay, SBNation.com's Matthew Fairburn, and CBSSports.com's draft insider Rob Rang -- reviewed this week have Te'o being selected in the first round."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...-of-manti-teo/

From a consensus standpoint it was a great grab for the Chargers at pick 38.
                    Last edited by DragonIce; 06-11-2021, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• DragonIce
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Arizona
                      • Send PM

Let's not forget this about Te'o
                      "Te'o is one of the most decorated defensive players in college football history. He won the 2012 Defensive IMPACT Player of the Year Lott Trophy, as well as the Maxwell Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Butkus Award, the Lombardi Award, and the Walter Camp Award. In addition, he was named a national scholar-athlete by the National Football Foundation.[24] One of three finalists for the Heisman Trophy"*

We are all so much smarter and more witty...critiquing things after the fact. Would you have drafted him at pick 38 with this resume, anchoring an undefeated team that gave up 10 points a game? (This, before all the analytics we have now?)

*Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manti_Te%27o

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
                        There was a lot of hype for Hester. I think Norv had a big say in that bust. They were hyping him up to be the next Daryl 'Moose' Johnson from Norv's DAL days. AJ traded a #2 (next years) and #5 to get the pick too.

Pipkins maybe next. They seemed enamored w him as a great find/steal from the East West Shrine game and gave him a few starts last year. Now I am reading he may be a swing tackles at best.
                        Hester also had an amazing youtube Highlight video with a great Elvis Presley song in background...... where he was running and catching passes and breaking tackle after tackle..... one of the best college highlight videos Ive ever seen.....

I didn't make this video but it was on here a while back and an awesome back who deserves to start at runningback in the NFL

had me fooled... I thought he would be another tom rathman type FB.... lol

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Not so during draft week.
                          "The Manti Te'o downward spiral is certainly well-known, but it deserves revisiting given recent events. Te'o, once a first-round lock, tumbled after a hoax involving his deceased "girlfriend" was revealed and, later, his uninspiring play against Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game.

Lately, however, Te'o has been a steady climber on draft boards. So much so, in fact, that the majority of pundits have him going in the first round, despite concerns about his speed. Still, four out of the five draft analysts -- NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks, ESPN's Todd McShay, SBNation.com's Matthew Fairburn, and CBSSports.com's draft insider Rob Rang -- reviewed this week have Te'o being selected in the first round."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...-of-manti-teo/

From a consensus standpoint it was a great grab for the Chargers at pick 38.
                          I remember the criticism was more aimed at the trading up for him.
                          4th round picks were consider gold to some
                          I didn't have a problem with it as I thought we were getting our future leader on D in Teo,
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X