POLL: The Most OVER-HYPED "Steal" Rookie Who Didn't Do Squat???

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
    Now, plenty of other times I have been dead, dead, dead wrong about draft picks. It just happened that Te'o was not one of those times.
    Clearly Te'o didn't work out great. That's never been the dispute between you and me in this thread. The point we've debated is whether TT was a huge outlier in evaluating the guy as a top-40 player. He wasn't. Not at all.

Te'o wasn't a hard bust either. He stayed in the league 7 years. The guy wouldn't get drafted as high in today's analytics-savvy as physical metrics are viewed with even greater scrutiny.

When Sports Illustrated graded the Chargers 2013 draft haul three years afterwards, their grade? A+
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/05/nf...alysis-results

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Clearly Te'o didn't work out great. That's never been the dispute between you and me in this thread. The point we've debated is whether TT was a huge outlier in evaluating the guy as a top-40 player. He wasn't. Not at all.

Te'o wasn't a hard bust either. He stayed in the league 7 years. The guy wouldn't get drafted as high in today's analytics-savvy as physical metrics are viewed with even greater scrutiny.

When Sports Illustrated graded the Chargers 2013 draft haul three years afterwards, their grade? A+
      I noticed they gave a 'D' grade to Atlanta's 2013 draft three years afterward: 1. Keanu Neil 2. Deion Jones 3. Austin Hooper

Comment

• DragonIce
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2021
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I noticed they gave a 'D' grade to Atlanta's 2013 draft three years afterward: 1. Keanu Neil 2. Deion Jones 3. Austin Hooper
        I don't know what article you are reading. Not the one I posted.

?

Comment

Lots of publications give drafts crazy high grades. I put no stock in that. That draft produced a whopping one good player, so the article's author is clearly out to lunch when he gives us an A+ three years after the fact.

As I said, my only issue was that the trade up was a horrible move and Te'o had huge known bust potential. The key facts were known at the time Te'o was selected. I know that because I and many others knew them when he was drafted. No hindsight at all.

Te'o was not good for us and not good for NO. If not a huge bust, he was at least a medium bust, not worthy of a second round pick and especially not worthy of a trade up in the second round.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Lots of publications give drafts crazy high grades. I put no stock in that. That draft produced a whopping one good player, so the article's author is clearly out to lunch when he gives us an A+ three years after the fact.

As I said, my only issue was that the trade up was a horrible move and Te'o had huge known bust potential. The key facts were known at the time Te'o was selected. I know that because I and many others knew them when he was drafted. No hindsight at all.

Te'o was not good for us and not good for NO. If not a huge bust, he was at least a medium bust, not worthy of a second round pick and especially not worthy of a trade up in the second round.
            Agree...medium bust for Teo sounds about right...I've used the term "semi bust" for some players also...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

I remember when Dylan Cantrell was thought of as a good prospect. One of those hidden gems. He turned out to be Dylan CANTrell.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I don't know what article you are reading. Not the one I posted.

?
                I clicked some link that took me to SI 2016 draft grades.

Comment

• DragonIce
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2021
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

The SI writer in question, Greg Bedard, gave out only 1 A+ grade (Chargers), and two A grades. His 3-year retrospective rankings were far removed from the inflation what we've come to expect in recent years. And his logic for grades was sound.

Somebody might be out to lunch but it's not Bedard.

What you fail to factor:
                  2013 was a very, very weak pool of college players

The 2013 NFL 1st round ushered in such 'unforgettable' players as Dee Milliner, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, D.J. Hayden, EJ Manuel, Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Datone Jones, Jonathan Cooper, Luke Joeckel and Matt Elam.

While Te'O might have disappointed, his career AV (22) actually exceeded most of the first rounders in the 2021 class.

The 2013 NFL Draft may be one of the worst of the modern era
                  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/...ound-revisited
                  Last edited by DragonIce; 06-17-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• DragonIce
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2021
                    • Arizona
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    I clicked some link that took me to SI 2016 draft grades.
                    This was the link I posted:

Comment

The SI writer in question, Greg Bedard, gave out only 1 A+ grade (Chargers), and two A grades. His 3-year retrospective rankings were far removed from the inflation what we've come to expect in recent years. And his logic for grades was sound.

Somebody might be out to lunch but it's not Bedard.

What you fail to factor:
                      2013 was a very, very weak pool of college players

The 2013 NFL 1st round ushered in such 'unforgettable' players as Dee Milliner, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, D.J. Hayden, EJ Manuel, Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Datone Jones, Jonathan Cooper, Luke Joeckel and Matt Elam.

While Te'O might have disappointed, his career AV (22) actually exceeded most of the first rounders in the 2021 class.

The 2013 NFL Draft may be one of the worst of the modern era
                      https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/...ound-revisited
                      The simple fact is that we only had one good player from all 7 rounds combined. That is never an A+, which means that the article's author was out to lunch when he wrote that article. He flat mischaracterized the first three rounds of the draft by stating that we had solid players in all three rounds. That is total BS. Fluker and Te'o were not solid players. They were very below average players.

Steve Williams never could take full advantage of his speed. Tourek Williams was a horrible pick that should have been cut out of training camp. Sorenson was a total waste of a pick. The Tourek Williams pick was particularly bad because Latavius Murray was out there and should have been on our radar.

Bedard's, "well, 5 of the 6 players are still on the roster" test is laughable. 2013 was the first season of a rebuild as many veterans from the prior regime were not kept (Meachem, McMichael, Rosario, Hadnot, Vasquez, Garay, D. Williams, Spikes, Phillips, Cason, Jammer, Barnes, Martin, Franklin, Gaither, et cetera).

9 Pro Bowlers and several solid players (better than Fluker) were selected in the first round after we took Fluker.

There were a bunch of good players we could have had in the second round instead of Te'o.

Even in the later rounds (Day 3), there were some good players available, though I generally agree that the 2013 draft was weaker than most drafts.

Our 2013 draft class was not only not an A+, it was flat out weak.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                        I remember when Dylan Cantrell was thought of as a good prospect. One of those hidden gems. He turned out to be Dylan CANTrell.
                        I called that one too. I’m almost never right, but I called Te’o, Cantrell, Hester, Buster … they were easy. Cantrell had no moves, no burst, no speed, and no route running ability. Slow straight line receivers are easy to cover
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DragonIce
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2021
                          • Arizona
                          • Send PM

Our 2013 draft class was not only not an A+, it was flat out weak.
                          LOL. Dredging the sewage of the '13 collegiate class for valuable resources was an engineering challenge that would have flustered Elon Musk. Again, that class is derided, memed and laughed about to this day.

Considering the duds the league was forced to pick over, TT crushed it, scoring:
                          - A receiver who's still contributing all-pro results 7 years later. (63 career AV and counting)
                          - A tackle who posted very solid PFF scores his first 3 years...before injuries took their toll (49 career AV)
                          -A very mediocre linebacker (Te'O) who still managed to out-produce half of the players in the first round (22 career AV)
                          -A 5th round special teams performer who lasted 3 years in the league

Your thought processing here needs vitamins. I suggest VitD...or 20 minutes sunlight daily. But on this last bit...I'm playing (a little). :beer:
                          Last edited by DragonIce; 06-17-2021, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X