The 2013 Chargers everything defence thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    This single play epitomizes the Norv era.
    Yeah, and he is gone. The guy that coached that defense is still here.

I know, that is being negative...

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
      What a disaster. Poor angles taken by the DB's, Philips quitting on the play, and a debatable offensive penalty.
      I would argue that Phillips didn't quit on that play. He had three teammates coming up to make the stop and he expected them to make the play. For him to go diving head-on into them could have been more productive for the Ravens than doing what he did. If you want to blame someone then blame one (or all) of the three DBs converging on the back. They should have covered their lanes like is done for punt and kick returns.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

No dont swarm to the ball...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          I would argue that Phillips didn't quit on that play. He had three teammates coming up to make the stop and he expected them to make the play. For him to go diving head-on into them could have been more productive for the Ravens than doing what he did. If you want to blame someone then blame one (or all) of the three DBs converging on the back. They should have covered their lanes like is done for punt and kick returns.
          Your argument would be a complete failure.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            No dont swarm to the ball...

It didn't work there, did it? When you are playing a deep, prevent zone like what we were doing you should play it like a punt return and stay in your lanes. Make the guy cut, keep him from heading straight downfield, and have the guys adjacent to you converge from the side to make the play.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Your argument would be a complete failure.
              As usual you don't back your statement up or even try to formulate an argument in support of your opinion. I'm not sure that you even know how to.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                As usual you don't back your statement up or even try to formulate an argument in support of your opinion. I'm not sure that you even know how to.
                Ha that's a joke. Look at the fucking gif. Proof is staring you in the face.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Ha that's a joke. Look at the fucking gif. Proof is staring you in the face.
                  You can go to my first post on here and re-read my response. It does deal with what is staring me in my face.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The big failing on the play was with the short zone defenders (LB and Gilchrist) come in, with Phillips chasing down the play from behind.

As they converge, you want them to do it so that they sort of surround Rice. But everyone just clumped up, so when Rice cut back (down), Gilchrist cuts off the pursuit of the LB. It's easy to understand how it happens, you are tired at the end of the game and your legs have turned to rubber, plus he has little experience in being part of the front row, having split time at S and CB in college. But if players don't contain the ball carrier, you give the runner all kinds of lanes.

If Gilchrist had stayed outside of the LB by about a yard and gotten a yard more upfield (towards the Ravens goalline), Rice would have had to retreat to get around him, and then at the very least, everyone has a chance to reset the angle and force him to the sideline sooner, if not make the tackle outright.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

What a disaster. Poor angles taken by the DB's, Philips quitting on the play, and a debatable offensive penalty.
                      The only thing debatable about that hit on Weddle, was whether the guy would draw a suspension.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        The big failing on the play was with the short zone defenders (LB and Gilchrist) come in, with Phillips chasing down the play from behind.

As they converge, you want them to do it so that they sort of surround Rice. But everyone just clumped up, so when Rice cut back (down), Gilchrist cuts off the pursuit of the LB. It's easy to understand how it happens, you are tired at the end of the game and your legs have turned to rubber, plus he has little experience in being part of the front row, having split time at S and CB in college. But if players don't contain the ball carrier, you give the runner all kinds of lanes.

If Gilchrist had stayed outside of the LB by about a yard and gotten a yard more upfield (towards the Ravens goalline), Rice would have had to retreat to get around him, and then at the very least, everyone has a chance to reset the angle and force him to the sideline sooner, if not make the tackle outright.
                        It was three or four players at least taking a collective Norv on the field.

We were up by 3 they were pinned back. If we did not assume the win presnap I would be shocked. Twicw before that game we pre-assumed wins at frigging halftime. Losing to Denver and NO.

This was about our HC letting the team feel entitled as one player said.

The players in question either quit on the play or paniced.

This was a reflection of the mentality that Norv brought to the team IMO.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                          No Sir, I Dont Like It
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Section 457
                          • Migrant Film Worker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          It was three or four players at least taking a collective Norv on the field.

We were up by 3 they were pinned back. If we did not assume the win presnap I would be shocked. Twicw before that game we pre-assumed wins at frigging halftime. Losing to Denver and NO.

This was about our HC letting the team feel entitled as one player said.

The players in question either quit on the play or paniced.

This was a reflection of the mentality that Norv brought to the team IMO.
                          :shit:
                          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X