• Show
Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

The San Diego Union has reported that one of the newspaper's top executives--former Police Chief Bill Kolender--was at the center of a grand jury probe of misconduct and favoritism in the San Diego Police Department.

The panel also was told that former Charger quarterback Dan Fouts was shot in the shoulder in 1983, the Union said. Ex-fullback Chuck Muncie testified that he and Fouts were in a Del Mar condo with two women when either the boyfriend or the spouse of the woman accompanying Fouts arrived and shot Fouts, wounding him slightly in the shoulder, the Union reported.

George Varela and Dick Lewis, two police officers who were attached to Kolender's office and also worked as security guards for the football team, hushed up the shooting and no police reports were ever made, the paper said. Both have since left the department to work for the team, the Union said, but neither could be reached Monday for comment.

Muncie was sentenced in 1989 to 2 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to a federal drug charge and to lying to a federal judge about using cocaine while free on bail. He told a KNSD (Channel 39) television reporter Monday, "I did not see Fouts get shot. I only told the grand jury about the rumors in the locker room."
    Fouts, now a network sportscaster, said Monday, "I have never been shot at. I have never been shot. I have never been treated for a gunshot wound. I couldn't make any more strong of an absolute, unequivocal and firm denial."
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-...ury-activities

The panel also was told that former Charger quarterback Dan Fouts was shot in the shoulder in 1983, the Union said. Ex-fullback Chuck Muncie testified that he and Fouts were in a Del Mar condo with two women when either the boyfriend or the spouse of the woman accompanying Fouts arrived and shot Fouts, wounding him slightly in the shoulder, the Union reported.

George Varela and Dick Lewis, two police officers who were attached to Kolender's office and also worked as security guards for the football team, hushed up the shooting and no police reports were ever made, the paper said. Both have since left the department to work for the team, the Union said, but neither could be reached Monday for comment.

Muncie was sentenced in 1989 to 2 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to a federal drug charge and to lying to a federal judge about using cocaine while free on bail. He told a KNSD (Channel 39) television reporter Monday, "I did not see Fouts get shot. I only told the grand jury about the rumors in the locker room."
      Fouts, now a network sportscaster, said Monday, "I have never been shot at. I have never been shot. I have never been treated for a gunshot wound. I couldn't make any more strong of an absolute, unequivocal and firm denial."
      Yeah, this is the report I was referring to.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
        The consensus of most experts is that Rivers is better than Eli, there are more factors to grading a QB than just Superbowls. If not for the championships the comparison would not even be close
        Rivers and his contemporaries?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
        X