• Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    Wins. That's the difference.

With Melvin Ingram the last 2 years, we're 9-4.

Without Melvin Ingram during that same time, 9-10.
    What are the stats when both Melvin and Mathews play, anyone know ?

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I don't know, but both bring an element that is rare, and you don't have to look at the stats to see it. Ingram may only get a few token sacks, but the guy constantly forces the QB off his mark, then scramble or throw early. Mathews was one of those rare backs that could spread a D horizontally and vertically, and gain yards in chunks.

WE got a big part of that back by adding Gordon. The pass rush thing is going to be a lot tougher and probably will have to be a group activity. Ingram would constantly force the QB off his throwing mark, but there was rarely a player there to clean up. It takes consistency and waves of pass rushers to get after the QB with any regularity. YEs, we have substandard pass rushers, but today we need to get guys who play as a group.

Ingrams health is only one of the issues that our defense faces. The DE need to be better job of gap control and the OLB need to do a better job of containing on the offtackle and outside runs. ILB need to do a better job of attacking the line and filling the cutback lanes. People can spout the bullshit about the NT being the problem on run D, but we could add the best NT of all time and it wouldn't help our run D worth a crap if everyone around him doesn't do their job too.

We also need to add a 5th starter for the OL. If teams can hit Gordon before he gets started, we still won't be able to run the ball. Maybe he will be one of those rare RB who can make something out of nothing, but even those guys benefited tremendously from better blocking upfront. The one thing I disagree with is the idea of getting a mauler. Just go for the best all around OL, and don't worry about being hugely strong. Too many of the road-grader types can't hit a slanting DT, or whiff completely against a quick 3 technique guy and let him fly into the backfield untouched (big problem last year). Just get a player who has good fits. I want a guy who can lock up, and consistently get his guy with leverage, even if it means not blowing him off his line. I think back to all the great OL I have seen play, most really didn't have a bunch of maulers. They did it by getting the guy blocked play after play, get your guy across the line, keep locked on, and then get the D frustrated. The key to having a great running offense is minimizing the negative plays, and then just taking your 3 and 4 yard runs until the D makes a mistake and you break a long run. A 350 lb OG who can't hit a moving target is not going to do that, as much a a 300 lb OG with great feet will, who can probably also pass protect.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

Cooper caught 124 passes last year, and Alabama's next leading pass catcher caught 40.

He's going to be worrisome, to say the least.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think a healthy Ingram covers up many of the defensive weaknesses.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Ingram needs to stay healthy this year or he goes the way of Mathews. Talent is worthless sitting on the bench.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I don't know, but both bring an element that is rare, and you don't have to look at the stats to see it. Ingram may only get a few token sacks, but the guy constantly forces the QB off his mark, then scramble or throw early. Mathews was one of those rare backs that could spread a D horizontally and vertically, and gain yards in chunks.

WE got a big part of that back by adding Gordon. The pass rush thing is going to be a lot tougher and probably will have to be a group activity. Ingram would constantly force the QB off his throwing mark, but there was rarely a player there to clean up. It takes consistency and waves of pass rushers to get after the QB with any regularity. YEs, we have substandard pass rushers, but today we need to get guys who play as a group.

Ingrams health is only one of the issues that our defense faces. The DE need to be better job of gap control and the OLB need to do a better job of containing on the offtackle and outside runs. ILB need to do a better job of attacking the line and filling the cutback lanes. People can spout the bullshit about the NT being the problem on run D, but we could add the best NT of all time and it wouldn't help our run D worth a crap if everyone around him doesn't do their job too.

We also need to add a 5th starter for the OL. If teams can hit Gordon before he gets started, we still won't be able to run the ball. Maybe he will be one of those rare RB who can make something out of nothing, but even those guys benefited tremendously from better blocking upfront. The one thing I disagree with is the idea of getting a mauler. Just go for the best all around OL, and don't worry about being hugely strong. Too many of the road-grader types can't hit a slanting DT, or whiff completely against a quick 3 technique guy and let him fly into the backfield untouched (big problem last year). Just get a player who has good fits. I want a guy who can lock up, and consistently get his guy with leverage, even if it means not blowing him off his line. I think back to all the great OL I have seen play, most really didn't have a bunch of maulers. They did it by getting the guy blocked play after play, get your guy across the line, keep locked on, and then get the D frustrated. The key to having a great running offense is minimizing the negative plays, and then just taking your 3 and 4 yard runs until the D makes a mistake and you break a long run. A 350 lb OG who can't hit a moving target is not going to do that, as much a a 300 lb OG with great feet will, who can probably also pass protect.
              A lot more of that seems to happen when Melvin Ingram is playing healthy.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Flowers would be the more likely candidate to cover Cooper if co-op is that good

Comment

Working...
                X