• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

After last season, there is no chance a team is going to sign Collin quickly. Everyone is going to take their time and see how the investigation goes. If and when they catch the killer, or at least eliminate Collins as a suspect, then teams can take their time signing him. And he and his people will let that happen, because every team will be willing to sign a 1st round talent, without the expense of a draft pick.

The one thing that is going to keep things interesting is that teams have limits on how many and how much they can give to UDFA. But there is still some wiggle room, and we just have to make a push when/if he is cleared.

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

Collins would have made approximately a $4 million signing bonus as a top 15 pick. As an undrafted free agent, he will make a minimal signing bonus as NFL teams have only about $90,000 to spend on all free agent signing bonuses, according to the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that the NFL Players Association has with the NFL.

But an NFL team could guarantee Collins a guaranteed salary of more than $1.5 million based on the three-year mandated contract for undrafted free agents of $435,000 the first year, following by $525,000 and then $615,000.

"For Collins, that presents an opportunity to attempt to receive a three-year guarantee of $1,575,000," wrote NFL salary expert Jason Fitzgerald Sunday on his Over The Cap website. "That guarantee would be equivalent to a late second rounder's guarantee through his signing bonus and salary guarantee."

If Collins plays well in his first two seasons, he could opt out of the third year of his contract and get a much more lucrative extension.

"I doubt a team would be willing to make that ($1,575,000) investment now," Fitzgerald wrote. "But if Collins waits until the summer to sign, they might if his name is cleared."

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

Collins is not a suspect yet. But he linked to the murder by the police, and everything is still under investigation.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Chargers will hold workout with La'el Collins

The Bolts will conduct a personal workout with the undrafted LSU lineman, per Yahoo! Sports.

There's never been a scenario quite like Collins'. The NFL refused his request to enter the supplemental draft after Baton Rouge police questioned him regarding a double homicide. Collins said the request was filed so that he could clear his name, but the NFL said no and he went undrafted.

It might end up working in Collins' favor. He's a mammoth tackle with guard flexibility, and should his innocence hold up, he'd be able to choose his landing spot. That's never really happened before.

San Diego is among a laundry list of teams talking to Collins, but if they ink him, it'd be like having two first-round picks in a draft.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

First, I hope he's innocent of that horrible crime. Even if we don't sign him.

Second (and contingent upon the first), his signing would more than make up for the loss of this year's 4th & next year's 5th rounders. On paper.
            Last edited by Marshall/Boogie; 05-06-2015, 12:14 AM. Reason: words hard.
            Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Big Dog
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

We worked him out BEFORE the draft, Rexy had dinner with him AFTER the draft ... big difference ...

Hope he is innocent ... but who shoots a pregnant women in the face other than an ex-boyfriend and baby's daddy?? Or someone doing it for him ??

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                We worked him out BEFORE the draft, Rexy had dinner with him AFTER the draft ... big difference ...

Hope he is innocent ... but who shoots a pregnant women in the face other than an ex-boyfriend and baby's daddy?? Or someone doing it for him ??
                How about we wait for the paternity test before definitively saying he is the daddy? As to who shoots a pregnant woman in the face etc.....gun violence, gangs violence and initiations, drug fuelled robberies.....the new is full of horrific and tragic stories like these. If he is guilty, I hope he gets the death penalty. If he is not, I hope he successfully sues the BRPD. In the mean time, I will let the facts play out and see what happens.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  How about we wait for the paternity test before definitively saying he is the daddy? As to who shoots a pregnant woman in the face etc.....gun violence, gangs violence and initiations, drug fuelled robberies.....the new is full of horrific and tragic stories like these. If he is guilty, I hope he gets the death penalty. If he is not, I hope he successfully sues the BRPD. In the mean time, I will let the facts play out and see what happens.
                  What basis would he have for suing the BRPD? They've said all along that he isn't a suspect and merely wanted to talk to him (for obvious reasons).

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
                    First, I hope he's innocent of that horrible crime. Even if we don't sign him.

Second (and contingent upon the first), his signing would more than make up for the loss of this year's 4th & next year's 5th rounders. On paper.
                    Agree and agree.

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

I'm not sure that "workout" story is true...I've read Collins can't visit with teams till May 9. Still I'm holding out hope he is 100% cleared and hope the connection with Fluker and Watt via the same agent produce a good result.
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        What basis would he have for suing the BRPD? They've said all along that he isn't a suspect and merely wanted to talk to him (for obvious reasons).
                        If they only wanted to talk to them, and he wasn't a suspect, there was no need to issue that publicly and thus prevent him from being drafted. Hell, people sue McDonalds for hot coffee spilling on their lap. Since they were not ready to speak to him until after the weekend of the draft, and knew that before hand (they told him that when he returned from NYC after the story broke), they caused him to lose millions of dollars. They could have just contacted him and requested his interview after the draft was over. I am just saying, there very well could be a law suit for damages.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                          Hell, people sue McDonalds for hot coffee spilling on their lap.
                          Except that McDonald's hot coffee case was legitimate. Read the real facts of the case, not the BS headline that the media reported. It always bugs me when people bring up that case as if its some sort of frivolous suit.

Comment

Working...
                          X