• Show
Clear All
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Any pick below the 4th round is a more a UDFA than a potential impact player, IMO. So many people here get all tied up in knots - and skewer Telesco - for getting rid of 4th (or beyond) draft picks. I suppose you can make a case for getting EXTREMELY lucky with a late-round pick (Tom Brady, Richard Sherman anyone?), so by giving up that pick you forfeit the chance of REALLY "finding" someone. But I'd love to see the draft history of 4th-5th-6th-7th-round picks. For every Tom Brady and Richard Sherman, there's probably 200 Eliot Sivers, Brandon Gorins, and Dave Balls.

I like the pick, but I still don't think the Chargers are going to be anything more than their usual 7-9 win team this season. And keeping that 4th-rounder wouldn't have changed that one bit. IMO, they blew it by not been more aggressive in FA; that's where they could - should - have made their move.
    I'll agree with you on the 5th-7th round picks but not so sure about the 4th's. Bad teams (i.e teams picking early in the rounds) get a shot at grabbing 4 players out of the top 100-110. There are good footballs players in that range.

As for FA, totally agree. If you're not building through the draft( which you really should be to control costs) you need to be active in FA. We're doing neither. Time for the Telesco experiment to come to an end.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
      I'll agree with you on the 5th-7th round picks but not so sure about the 4th's. Bad teams (i.e teams picking early in the rounds) get a shot at grabbing 4 players out of the top 100-110. There are good footballs players in that range.

As for FA, totally agree. If you're not building through the draft( which you really should be to control costs) you need to be active in FA. We're doing neither. Time for the Telesco experiment to come to an end.
      According to the draft value chart that has been around for a while the difference between those two first round picks was 100 points (1050 vs 950). The 4th round pick was worth 60 and the 5th rounder worth 40 so what we traded exactly matches that.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

I'm thinking that T2 must have some sort of idea, or metric, or something along those lines that says 4th round picks (on down) aren't that productive.

Sure he's keeping the 5th and 6th picks (as a shot in the dark), but he's probably made some sort of decision based on something that it's worth moving up if it doesn't cost you a guy in the first 3 rounds.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Is it a cost thing? Are UDFA's a better economical choice?

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            According to the draft value chart that has been around for a while the difference between those two first round picks was 100 points (1050 vs 950). The 4th round pick was worth 60 and the 5th rounder worth 40 so what we traded exactly matches that.
            there you go with all yer facts and statistics again
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Is it a cost thing? Are UDFA's a better economical choice?

I don't think money/contracts enter into it. TT stated there were only 7 "impact" players in the draft and Gordon was the last one available so he made the move...

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

IMO, one of the most interesting story lines to follow on Day 2 is to see where La'el Collins is drafted, or if he is drafted.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                  Did we win?
                  • Jun 2013
                  • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                  • Send PM

If the Texans would have picked Gordon or allowed someone else to move up and steal him from us, then we would have lost the chance to add a proven play maker to this team. This team needs fire power more than anything else and Gordon, if he stays healthy, is going to add a lot of punch to this offense. IMO-giving a fourth to ensure you don't lose the guy that you think can change the whole offense is a no-brainer. What's a fourth rounder really? Most likely a back up and/or a special teamer. Essentially a guy that will contribute little to winning now.

Rivers window is closing rapidly and we desperately needed a guy that can move those chains and now we have one!
                  I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                    IMO, one of the most interesting story lines to follow on Day 2 is to see where La'el Collins is drafted, or if he is drafted.
                    Yeah it's bad either way...obviously if he had anything to do with that womans death but also if he is innocent his future got derailed big time....so far there is NO WORD on this

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• UtahBolt
                      Did we win?
                      • Jun 2013
                      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                      I will feel so bad for this kid if he had nothing to do with this murder. His lifelong dream has been crushed and it will be really tough for him to overcome this. Why couldn't the police in Baton Rouge question him in a couple of days after the draft? Let the kid have his night in front of millions, unless of course they think he has a bigger role in this than they are letting on.
                      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

What is the story? The woman who was killed was his ex-girlfriend? Was she pregnant?

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

What is the story? The woman who was killed was his ex-girlfriend? Was she pregnant?
                          yes, she was pregnant, and it is his child.
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X