Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Welcome Craig Mager, DB, Texas State.

Post your stuff and thoughts.

Overview

Participated in East-West Shrine Game. In 2014, named Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference with three interceptions and 10 passes broken up. Started 46 of 48 career games. In 2012, was Honorable Mention All-WAC. In high school, lost his mother to a hospital-administered overdose of medicine for headache. Took on a parental role to siblings at a young age. Named 2009 District 27-3A MVP and Honorable Mention All-State selection. Played basketball and competed in track as well.

Analysis
    Strengths Started all four years. Plays with excellent fire and motor throughout the game. Loves to hit. Quick-twitch athlete with plus play strength and sudden change of direction. Desired closing burst and drives through receivers, attempting to jar ball free. Feet rarely stall and has NFL ability to click and close on throws. Adequate mirror and match in man coverage. Explosive leaper who climbs ladder and has timing to attack the ball at high-point. Able to return punts. Was one of the standouts among cornerbacks at East-West Shrine Game practices.

Weaknesses Instincts are average. Wants to see it first rather than anticipating. Allows too much separation in space. Can do a better job of constricting passing windows and taking a few more chances from thirds coverage. Excitable in man coverage and will become overly aggressive. Questionable long speed. Tries to stay on top of route rather than trusting feet and remaining patient. Gets caught committing too quickly to first move.

Draft Projection Round 4 or 5
    Sources Tell Us "I wanted to make him a safety because of how physical he is, but after seeing him in person, he may not be big enough. He's not as fast as you want, but he's a player and he's really, really tough." -- NFC director of player personnel

NFL Comparison Bene' Benwikere

Bottom Line Productive, consistent four-year starter who plays with the aggressiveness and competitiveness that defensive coordinators will love. Mager has the twitch to close quickly on throws underneath and leaping ability to challenge jump balls. Teams question his ability to carry deep speed, which could impact his draft standing, but his talent and makeup give him a shot at becoming an NFL starter.
    Last edited by Bolt-O; 05-01-2015, 07:52 PM.
  • G-Money
    Trojan4Life Fight on!
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Yawn...

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Like the speed and toughness. Good pick.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

I guess we didnt bring in enough secondary? I dont get this pick. Unless hes a boundary safety of sorts. I could see that. Taking over for Addai inc coverage. TT makes some picks that make me scratch my head. I know its a staff effort but he pisses me off sometimes. I guess Porkchop is slated to start. And they feel we are ok at OLB.

If this guy is supposed to a CB i just dont see that as a big need right now when you have 2 pretty major holes.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Draft Hundley next and we're set.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

In high school, lost his mother to a hospital-administered overdose of medicine for headache. Took on a parental role to siblings at a young age

Wow, that sucks.

I really wouldve liked to see the trenches addressed but it wont be tough to root for this guy.
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Buck
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

What.

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

I don't get this pick either.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 4m4 minutes ago

Chargers select DB Craig Mager out of Texas State at No. 83. 5-11 and 190 pounds. Physical, fast and aggressive -- but raw.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

If this guy is supposed to a CB i just dont see that as a big need right now when you have 2 pretty major holes.
                    Drafting BPA and not on needs. That the only thing I can see.

Which doesnt fit the trade up in the first round, that was based on need.
                    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

4.4, coverage skills, "will be a factor" ... The Hair.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

His coverage skills sound like Wright's, at least he can tackle apparently. Maybe they will plug him in at SS when Addai hurts himself.

Comment

Working...
                        X