• Show
Clear All
  • Chargerville
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Physical starts in the trenches.

You're not physical because you drafted a "thumper" at CB. Whatever that even means.

Perryman can be physical, but not when he's getting swallowed whole in traffic.

Please stop with this silliness.
    I agree!

Comment

• Centella
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

At first I misread the title of this thread. I thought it said Hands Vs. Speed. (That's a tip of the hat to any real old timers here.)

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        Physical starts in the trenches.

You're not physical because you drafted a "thumper" at CB. Whatever that even means.

Perryman can be physical, but not when he's getting swallowed whole in traffic.

Please stop with this silliness.
        It isn't silly. This defense has a reputation as soft. its not my imagination that our defense, although good,isn't excactly scary. In all the years I've played and watched the guys that set the tempo and inspired everyone around them weren't finesse tacklers they were the Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lot, Mike Singletary types. I would love to add some line players but you are confusing positions with types of player

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Weddle is our best defender, but he does not strike fear into the hearts of the opponents. I'm happy to get some black and powder blue defenders in here.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think Weddle just got disrespected by the coaching staff again.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't know if it is that we are soft overall. It seems like it comes and goes. Part of the new NFL and the way the players association is ruining the game. Thanks to them in 50 years it will be touch football. Players can't be consistently tough and physical if they don't hit in practice and there is no way around that.

The biggest issue for our D is that the level of discipline. LB and DL are incredibly up and down. When they decide they are going to be physical and hit, they do a good job of taking on blocks and making the plays they need to. Then there are games like vs SF, when they run around, try to make plays and let the other team run on us. SF didn't push us around at all, but when the DE keep running themselves out of plays, it's a huge problem.

This idea of striking fear into the hearts of the teams we play? How many NFL players get intimidated anymore? Maybe back in the days when some teams would be willing to cripple you, but between medical science and the fact that the league can review anything, those days and those cheapshots are mostly a thing of the past (unless you play for the Broncos OL).

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I don't know if it is that we are soft overall. It seems like it comes and goes. Part of the new NFL and the way the players association is ruining the game. Thanks to them in 5 years it will be touch football.
                FIFY
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I don't know if it is that we are soft overall. It seems like it comes and goes. Part of the new NFL and the way the players association is ruining the game. Thanks to them in 50 years it will be touch football. Players can't be consistently tough and physical if they don't hit in practice and there is no way around that.

The biggest issue for our D is that the level of discipline. LB and DL are incredibly up and down. When they decide they are going to be physical and hit, they do a good job of taking on blocks and making the plays they need to. Then there are games like vs SF, when they run around, try to make plays and let the other team run on us. SF didn't push us around at all, but when the DE keep running themselves out of plays, it's a huge problem.

This idea of striking fear into the hearts of the teams we play? How many NFL players get intimidated anymore? Maybe back in the days when some teams would be willing to cripple you, but between medical science and the fact that the league can review anything, those days and those cheapshots are mostly a thing of the past (unless you play for the Broncos OL).
                  I second this. Can we have a vote?

I've seen better teams than us miss a lot of tackles. Are there stats somewhere that show how we rank in the missed-tackle category? Seems like our bigger issue is we don't get consistent pressure on the QB and sometimes our run D falls apart. A lot of that has to do with whether Melvin Ingram is healthy.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                    Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I have two friends I grew up with that both played 5 years in the league, I won't drop names out of respect for them but yes guys get intimidated out there. Don't kid yourself. Receivers get alligator arms and RB's get outta bounds and down easy on contact. It ain't always to preserve themselves they are playing with fear. Do you think hardwick would say he wants the kind of guys that scare you stepping off the bus if there wasn't players being intimidated.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I have no problems with players protecting themselves from unnecessary punishment. Stay healthy and stay on the field. That's much better than the warrior on IR. Note I said unnecessary, there is contact that has to be made.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Mager is considerd a good tackler but i dont think his is considered a thumper at it. I believe it is Emanuel who is considered a thumper and have a mean streak along with Perryman. It is nice to a good tackler in the secondary though Weddle is a good tackler too.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I'm not sure if Maeger is going to be a cb or a safety. We had a starting corner for years that people were always wanting to move to safety. He could hit pretty damn hard for a cb probably why so many wanted to move him. I like a secondary that is physical and can help in run support, doesn't have to be a thumper, just physical and willing.

Comment

Working...
                          X