• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
    Picking up Stevie Johnson, Jacoby, bringing back a healthy Woody, having Oliver and Drafting MG111....along with maybe picking up a UDFA WR ....Ohhhhhweeeeee yah, picking up Franlklin and the other new additions to the O-Line will give Rivers enough protection & weapons for our Offense to punch some defenses straight in the Mouth

I also like that Hairston dude from Buffalo. He could be a big part of our o-line success story...either as backup or starter.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

It appears that Nolan made the point that he needs a certain group of guys to dominate, And it'll make Pag's Defense a Top contender
      So we pick up one ILB that might push for starting time....and 3 other raw, developmental prospects and we are going to dominate on defense now?

I like the individual guys we picked up, but this is going to play out like it does every year. We get outplayed in the trenches, January rolls around and everybody starts foaming at the mouth that we need more beef, but it gets inadequately addressed.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Sec-E4
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2014
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
        So we pick up one ILB that might push for starting time....and 3 other raw, developmental prospects and we are going to dominate on defense now?

I like the individual guys we picked up, but this is going to play out like it does every year. We get outplayed in the trenches, January rolls around and everybody starts foaming at the mouth that we need more beef, but it gets inadequately addressed.
        I know our Defensve pass rush, Sacks and a few other categories weren't rated the highest, But due to the guys we had injured most of the season and the older guys were replacing , I say yah

Remember all the RedZone stops we had with our deleted Defense ?!?!? Our Depleted O-Line kept our Offense from keeping our D off the field. So we're fixing that to and that'll help out our D even more

Now plugged in those holes with the healthy guys and our new additions and New Draft picks....I'd say this Defense has a higher Ceiling

Remember how we looked VS Seattle ? That was a healthy Chargers team and showed what we're capable of...Unfortunately we couldn't keep that squad on the field...Plus we didn't have Flowers for that game either
        Last edited by Sec-E4; 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Way to early to make a claim like about the defense either way. I think they will be better coached, faster, and the young guys will have some time under their belts. As always injuries will play a huge factor and we have multiple guys who have had more than one injury in their careers. But if they stay somewhat healthy, I really can't see how they cannot be better - maybe by a decent amount. Add in a more efficient offense that should put up more points and take some pressure off the D and I think they will be okay.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

A lot of the pieces for a good D are there. We had several games where all or most of the unit played very well. The problem is consistency and depth.

Everyone was talking about how Nolan will be night and day for the LB, but that is bullshit. Barry was fine in terms of teaching and progressions. What I think he lacked was just that our LB were incredibly inconsistent. Nolan has coached several good defenses and the biggest common thread among them is the consistency. You do things the right way every single down. No taking a down off to chase the QB. No trying to make a big play by shooting a gap (and then missing the SF QB to run for 80 yards and a TD). It's not going to be any big sweeping change that will have any impact on our D, it will be the invisible stuff that 99% of fans don't see.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The only problem with the defense is injuries. Get Verrett, Flowers, Ingram on the field and this defense is really, really good.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                The only problem with the defense is injuries. Get Verrett, Flowers, Ingram on the field and this defense is really, really good.
                Agreed....but not just the defense. The whole teams biggest issues were injuries, catastrophic injuries and yet we still ended up 9-7 and one game away from the playoffs. That one game by the way it could be argued we lost because of our unbelievable o-line injuries.

This team is better in some areas, the same in some areas and slightly worse in other areas than last season, BUT we could be significantly better overall if we can somehow limit the injuries to a "normal" number.
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  Injuries cost those young players development time. It's not as simple as just plug and play.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                    Injuries cost those young players development time. It's not as simple as just plug and play.
                    I agree with guys like Te'o, but IMO Verrett was playing at Pro Bowl level already. Can't wait to see him healthy for a full season (if that's possible).
                    Prediction:
                    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I know our Defensve pass rush, Sacks and a few other categories weren't rated the highest, But due to the guys we had injured most of the season and the older guys were replacing , I say yah

Remember all the RedZone stops we had with our deleted Defense ?!?!? Our Depleted O-Line kept our Offense from keeping our D off the field. So we're fixing that to and that'll help out our D even more

Now plugged in those holes with the healthy guys and our new additions and New Draft picks....I'd say this Defense has a higher Ceiling

Remember how we looked VS Seattle ? That was a healthy Chargers team and showed what we're capable of...Unfortunately we couldn't keep that squad on the field...Plus we didn't have Flowers for that game either
                      Do you think the defense will be healthy this year?

I'm telling everybody - the main guy to keep healthy on defense is Melvin Ingram. I just don't see it happening.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Everyone was talking about how Nolan will be night and day for the LB, but that is bullshit. Barry was fine in terms of teaching and progressions. What I think he lacked was just that our LB were incredibly inconsistent.
                        That's a pretty important thing to lack for a coach.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          A lot of the pieces for a good D are there. We had several games where all or most of the unit played very well. The problem is consistency and depth.

Everyone was talking about how Nolan will be night and day for the LB, but that is bullshit. Barry was fine in terms of teaching and progressions. What I think he lacked was just that our LB were incredibly inconsistent. Nolan has coached several good defenses and the biggest common thread among them is the consistency. You do things the right way every single down. No taking a down off to chase the QB. No trying to make a big play by shooting a gap (and then missing the SF QB to run for 80 yards and a TD). It's not going to be any big sweeping change that will have any impact on our D, it will be the invisible stuff that 99% of fans don't see.
                          Nolan has coached some incredibly bad ones too. Atlanta's was awful under him.

Comment

Working...
                          X