• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    A reach is when another team takes a player you didn't expect or hadn't heard of. When your team does it its a "find."
    A reach is when it goes against the media boards. They are fun to play around with. A year like this one, with so many players with avg grades, the differential is small and the term reach is mostly meaningless. I would bet that teams 2-4th round grades by position varied more this year than most.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
      A reach is when it goes against the media boards. They are fun to play around with. A year like this one, with so many players with avg grades, the differential is small and the term reach is mostly meaningless. I would bet that teams 2-4th round grades by position varied more this year than most.
      I like my definition better.

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It's the 6th round of the draft. and people are complaining about a pick being a reach. smh

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Underclassman, and right size for DE in the 3-4.

What's not to like? If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out. Worth the gamble.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

He's 21 and hasn't reached his growth potential yet. Give him a year of pro training and see where he's at.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              It's the 6th round of the draft. and people are complaining about a pick being a reach. smh
              Truth.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                His draft grade: C

I like Darius Philon as a prospect; I had him being chosen a bit earlier than this. The problem with this pick, however, is that Philon doesn't project as a good fit in the 3-4. He's an ideal three-technique in the 4-3, so I'm not sure how he'll be able to play in San Diego's scheme.
                Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldra...8dCzPjiLFph.99
                You mean like the other 3 technqiue DT we have playing DE?

The thing I liked watching him in the clips in this thread is that he doesn't overpenetrate. He gets penetration a lot, but he doesn't fly upfield and leave gaps in his defense like a couple of other 3 technique guys I know.

And as someone else mentioned, we play more than 60% of our snaps in a 4 man line, so he is going to line up at DT most of the time anyway. So what if he is not the ideal 5 technique 34 DE. He isn't going to play the position very much anyway. And if he plays with more discipline then the guys we have now, he will be a big upgrade even if he isn't a good fit physically.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

The Greyshirt

Here is how it would be used. If you were an athlete who signed a National Letter of Intent last week for football, you would be reporting to the school in early August to start the football season. Your eligibility clock of four playing seasons in five total years would start ticking. If you are currently 18, even if you redshirted and played the next four years, you would finish your playing career around the age of 22 or 23 (Depending on birthday and such).

If you decided to grayshirt, what you would do that first semester would be go to a local Junior College and attend classes. The reason you may go to a JC near home is to save money over another, more expensive school. What you would have to do is make sure that you are not taking a full load. If a full load of classes is considering 12 class hours, you would just need to make sure you are taking less than that. As a grayshirt, you would not get to practice with the team, workout with the team, or even eat at team meals. During the first semester, you are not a part of the team.

The reason that you cannot do that stuff is because you want your full time status to start during the second semester. Instead of just being thrown into the wolves during the summer, you can participate in spring practice, get used to classes, and then possibly be able to play in the fall. If you started in the second semester of next year, which would be 2009, you would get that season, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 to complete your four years of playing. Some prospects do go from being a grayshirt right to being a redshirt so that they would end up being 23 or 24 when they finish.
                  Philon was offered a greyshirt at Alabama. Philon has just turned 21. He competes against 23-24 year olds. He's not as physically mature as these guys. Now, he gets to spend time on the inactive squad as he develops his body and he gets to that second contract a year quicker. And he has the talent to be really good when he develops. Damn smart if you can do it.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                    Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                    • Send PM

He has a place here. Hope he reaches his potential. Sounds like he is still developing. I'm not giddy like a school girl but it's a good pick.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Sun Valley, ID
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                      Is there such a thing as a "reach" in the 6th Round?

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                        Is there such a thing as a "reach" in the 6th Round?
                        A wr with a head injury.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          A wr with a head injury.
                          I believe that was a 7th rounder.

Comment

Working...