• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Right Guard

Clearly the biggest question mark left. Guesses? Do we go after Collins? He shares an agent with Fluker. Not sure if that's good or bad. What position does he want to play? My sleeper is Watts. Said last year they would groom him for 2015. Kept him on all year, even after he got suspended. They clearly like him. Sirles looked pretty good vs SF too. Troutman was inconsistent.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I hope they have a chance to get Collins, never enough beef. If they didn't like Watts, he would have been cut from the PS. Maybe Robinson can handle C, and Watt gets moved over. Its clear they like who they have, but I think any position is open to improvement at the right price. No one wants Porkchops in our corner of the fan base, but maybe he's great in practice. I'm pretty sure that they won't go after a pricey vet at this point, they may need to pay for retention after this season for key vets.

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I know a lot of people are losing their minds over the whole RG situation but I doubt our seasons
      success or failure hinges on it.

There are always decent OL let go before the season starts, we still have some options on the roster
      (Hairston, Sirles etc) and while everyone hates Troutman, I'm not completely ready to dump him. Remember
      last year was his first full year playing there. Plus, the 25 different guys playing C next to him probably didn't help.

Im sure by week 1 this will all be worked out.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

My guess, Hairston to RT, Fluker to RG. Play your best 5.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
          I know a lot of people are losing their minds over the whole RG situation but I doubt our seasons
          success or failure hinges on it.

There are always decent OL let go before the season starts, we still have some options on the roster
          (Hairston, Sirles etc) and while everyone hates Troutman, I'm not completely ready to dump him. Remember
          last year was his first full year playing there. Plus, the 25 different guys playing C next to him probably didn't help.

Im sure by week 1 this will all be worked out.
          Troutman didn't get a full year of playing. McCoy, in a move I still don't understand, was rotating guards until all the injuries at center happened. Hopefully, this year, he makes up his mind about who plays guard.

Comment

• rikardo
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Hope we add Collins, I do believe Gordon will make the Oline look a lot better. Also our play action should improve therefore Rivers numbers should be better also. Not against Collins at all. He is a great player....

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

McCoy (probably the OL coach actually) was rotating guards because Troutman wasn't good enough to hold down that spot on his own, so they wanted to see what Watt could do.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

If TT didn't fix it, you can only think that he thinks he's got the fix in house already. It was too big a problem last year to ignore. Hairston is an under the radar signing just like Dunlap was. Haiston didn't come here to compete to be backup tackle.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

OL18CHRIS HAIRSTONOL CLEMSON

GRADE
                  ?
                  5.43 SEC
                  33 REPS
                  Top Performer
                  29.0 INCH
                  96.0 INCH
                  7.90 SEC
                  4.70 SEC
                  BLUE STAR = TOP PERFORMER
                  6'6"
                  HEIGHT
                  35 1/4"
                  ARM LENGTH

326LBS.
                  WEIGHT
                  9 1/4"
                  HANDS
                  MORE COMBINE VIDEO
                  OVERVIEW
                  Hairston has the natural size, strength and adequate athleticism necessary to develop into a starting right tackle in the NFL. Exhibits the awareness needed at the next level. Uses power to his advantage stalemating the bull rush and engulfing smaller defensive lineman in the running game. Not at his best when asked to block out in the open, getting to the second level, or in the screen game. Has a tough time dealing with upper-level quickness from DL's. Must overcome minor injury history. Hairston should come off the board in the middle rounds of April's draft.
                  ANALYSIS
                  STRENGTHS Hairston possesses NFL ideal height for the offensive tackle position. Has great bulk and uses size and strength to his advantage while run blocking and in pass pro. Smart player who understands scheme concepts and his assignments. Not susceptible to the bull rush. Does a good job getting his hat in position when run blocking.
                  WEAKNESSES Not a premier athlete or overly comfortable blocking out in space. Can be beat by a quick, inside pass rushing move. Doesn't consistently fight off counter moves. Needs to watch his pad level in the running game. Has missed some time due to injuries over the course of his college career.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• onelazyfock
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I pedict an o line of
                    LT dunlap
                    LG hairston
                    C Watt but I like the way robinson plays
                    RG fluker
                    RT franklin

I like our o line. Lots of guys can play multiple positions.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by onelazyfock View Post
                      I pedict an o line of
                      LT dunlap
                      LG hairston
                      C Watt but I like the way robinson plays
                      RG fluker
                      RT franklin

I like our o line. Lots of guys can play multiple positions.
                      They already said Franklin is playing LG and Hariston is a swing OT.

Comment

• Gilded Pickle
                        outside looking in
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

If they can find out a way to sign Collins, I'll do cartwheels. That would be a huge signing - nearly to the magnitude of the Flowers pickup last year.

Assuming, of course, he's cleared

Comment

Working...
                        X